• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC 2014 --It's still Never to Early, Oct 9-12

734 posts in this topic

i am a bit disgusted with these lego resellers at nycc who open up the boxes and take a few of the figures out (to sell individually) and then tape them up and then re-sell them to unwitting 9 year olds who think they are getting the full lego DC and Marvel set with 3 figures and the big robot/truck thingy and only get 1 figure. criminey, my son bought something that was supposed to have captain america, the red skull and a hydra henchman in it and it only had the frigging henchman! his superman, wonderwoman and lex luthor set only had luthor in it. despicable. i know the price was very cheap if it had been the whole set ($10), but they should be more upfront with these kids who think they are getting an amazing deal, but who wind up getting stuck with just the hydra henchman.... 50, 60 year old men taking advantage of dopey kids...

i'm not saying they lie about what's in there...if you ask i'm sure they will disclose (indeed, one of the kids i brought wandered back and got his money back, but the other two had already ripped open some of the bags)...it's just that 9 year old kids don't ask questions, they see a box and hand over their money assuming the box is what it says it is

i am a bit disgusted with these lego resellers at nycc who open up the boxes and take a few of the figures out (to sell individually) and then tape them up and then re-sell them to unwitting 9 year olds who think they are getting the full lego DC and Marvel set with 3 figures and the big robot/truck thingy and only get 1 figure. criminey, my son bought something that was supposed to have captain america, the red skull and a hydra henchman in it and it only had the frigging henchman! his superman, wonderwoman and lex luthor set only had luthor in it. despicable. i know the price was very cheap if it had been the whole set ($10), but they should be more upfront with these kids who think they are getting an amazing deal, but who wind up getting stuck with just the hydra henchman.... 50, 60 year old men taking advantage of dopey kids...

i'm not saying they lie about what's in there...if you ask i'm sure they will disclose (indeed, one of the kids i brought wandered back and got his money back, but the other two had already ripped open some of the bags)...it's just that 9 year old kids don't ask questions, they see a box and hand over their money assuming the box is what it says it is

Send an email to Lego.

They have great customer service and hate having disappointed kids.

it was a re-seller. who sells boxes and individual figures (which is why they bust them out of the boxes). i don't even remember the name, bric something or other. they should have signs saying the boxes are incomplete or something.

but it's a thought. given the amount of money we have spent on legos over the years on my son -- full retail from toy stores, TRS, amazon, etc. I should have no problem doing that.

i think he probably has another year or two of interest in legos in him.

There is a new foodie food court up at 45th and 11th 5 min from NYCC. One of the places, Cannibal, has Daredevil themed cocktails (and pretty good food) in honor of Hell's Kitchen.

Hop down to my bar afterwards, 11th ave and 51st.

http://americanretrony.com

Is there a boardie discount to save lots on tots?

sure. Why not? Mention me, Gus and Comicon, and I'll let the bar tenders know to give you happy hour prices.

Hey I just wanted to say me and my guys had a great time at your bar on Saturday night!

Cheers!

Sean

Overall I had a great time. I bought some original art from Dave Bullock ($40 pencilled Spider-man proposal), got a piece commissioned by Marc Laming ($60 - bust of PHANTOM, Derek Fridolfs ($40 full body of BATMAN), Brian Level ($25 headsketch of BATMAN) & Dan Panosian ($40 headsketches! Mine was of...wait for it....BATMAN).

Picked up the WAR OF LIGHT HEROCLIX exclusive along with the NIGHTWING BLUE variant.

Got some beautiful mint McFarlane Spider-man books for 75% off, $7 each for the last three WALKING DEAD trades, HELLBOY: SEED OF DESTRUCTION #1 for $20, LEAVING MEGALOPOLIS signed by Jim Calafiore for $20 and ROCKET GIRL trade stamped & signed by the creative team.

CGC was excellent. Not only did they have a manned booth upstairs but in Artist Alley as well and that made life w whole lot easier as it wasn't last year (Just Mike with tons of witnesses and waiting customers at a snails pace). This booth was on fire and doing amazing work. I got a total of 12 books SS & CGCed:

1. UNTOLD LEGEND OF BATMAN #1 - Len Wein & Jose Luis Garcia Lopez

2. LEGEND OF THE DARK KNIGHT #16 (1st App of Venom drug) - Denny O'Neil & Jose Luis Garcia Lopez

3. JONAH HEX #1 (1st series) - Jose Luis Garcia Lopez

4. NEW MUTANTS #98 (1st App of Deadpool) - Fabian Nicieza & Rob Liefeld

5. X-FORCE #2 (2nd App of Deadpool) - Fabian Nicieza & Rob Liefeld

6. DEADPOOL #1 (Deadpool's 1st mini-series) - Fabian Nicieza & Rob Liefeld

7. CABLE & DEADPOOL #1 - Fabian Nicieza & Rob Liefeld

8. (2) BATMAN/SUPERMAN #1 "WE CAN BE HEROES" Variants - Jim Lee, Alex Sinclair and Greg Pak

9. (2) SUPERMAN UNCHAINED #1 "WE CAN BE HEROES" Variants - Jim Lee, Scott Snyder, Dustin Nguyen & Alex Sinclair

10. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #700 Skyline Variant - Alex Saviuk, Steve McNiven, Gerry Conway, Denny O'Neil, Edgar Delgado, Victor Olazaba & Len Wein (All sigs are on the white spacing and NOT on the building silhouette with creator names. I currently have Stan Lee, Larry Lieber, Danny Fingeroth, Tyler Kirkham, Humberto Ramos and Mike Zeck.I plan on getting more sigs next year before I lock this down completely)

I went above budget due to many creators requesting cash for CGC sigs. I don't mind paying so long as the pricing is consistent:

- Len Wein: $5 for autograph / $20 any book to CGC

- Gerry Conway: $5 for a sig (CGC or not)

- Denny O'Neill & Jose Luis Garcia Lopez: Whatever you wanted to pay since it was going to the charity Hero Initiative (I ended up paying $20 each creator for 2 and 3 sigs, respectively.)

- Rob Liefeld: The word "person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed" is an insult to douches everywhere. First he didn't come to the con on Saturday until 3pm. Then he proceeds to talk to someone despite the fact that he knows the line is incredibly long. Before I got to him, his handler asked me what I had to get signed and proceeds to show me a laminated page detailing signature rates. Apparently, depending on the type of book you give him the price changes -- Keys (New Mutants 97 & 98) $30, Deadpool books $10, X-Force $20 and any merch was $20. I ended up paying $70 for 4 books. I was livid as it cut into my CGC funds and so I ended up going over my budget.

Overall, loved the con and the cosplay. Here's to another great con in 2015!

Newsrama reports NYCC 2014 attendance at 151,000. :o

Given how crowded Thursday was, it's not a surprise that ReedPop was going after SDCC's title as The largest comic show in the world. :sick:

BTW - anyone who complains about Liefeld's prices for autographs should just walk away. The fact that everyone continues to pay him just to CGC SS the comic indicates that you are willing to speculate on making money off the signed book in the future. So why shouldn't Rob make some money if you are going to charge a premium when you sell the book? Doesn't CGC also charge higher rates to grade a book based on market value?

Cheers!

N.

Given how crowded Thursday was, it's not a surprise that ReedPop was going after SDCC's title as The largest comic show in the world. :sick:

BTW - anyone who complains about Liefeld's prices for autographs should just walk away. The fact that everyone continues to pay him just to CGC SS the comic indicates that you are willing to speculate on making money off the signed book in the future. So why shouldn't Rob make some money if you are going to charge a premium when you sell the book? Doesn't CGC also charge higher rates to grade a book based on market value?

Cheers!

N.

Usually there's a signature fee and a CGC Signature fee. Fine. This fool decides to build pricing like a 3 tier cake. I'm not happy but I pay it because I'd rather pay him now than later when he ups his prices (I have a strong feeling he will rase them again -- much like he did with his commissions). Better to get it out of the way now than pay an even higher price later. That way, I don't ever have to deal with the hack again.

Everyone is speculating here. Everyone. All the collectors here are speculating on their books whether comics are signed or unsigned. Just look at the variety of threads talking about key issues, print runs, rare 2nd or 3rd printings, misprints, sales comparisons. I bought a few copies of X-FORCE #2 knowing it was Deadpool's 2nd Appearance and now it's going up in value. Whether it stays there or not is a different story. Speculating is certainly paying off for me.

Cheers!

N.

Usually there's a signature fee and a CGC Signature fee. Fine. This fool decides to build pricing like a 3 tier cake. I'm not happy but I pay it because I'd rather pay him now than later when he ups his prices (I have a strong feeling he will rase them again -- much like he did with his commissions). Better to get it out of the way now than pay an even higher price later. That way, I don't ever have to deal with the hack again.

Everyone is speculating here. Everyone. All the collectors here are speculating on their books whether comics are signed or unsigned. Just look at the variety of threads talking about key issues, print runs, rare 2nd or 3rd printings, misprints, sales comparisons. I bought a few copies of X-FORCE #2 knowing it was Deadpool's 2nd Appearance and now it's going up in value. Whether it stays there or not is a different story. Speculating is certainly paying off for me.

Yeesh, this is full of ugly sentiment. To whinge about how you're getting gouged by the guy who created the comics, only to follow it up by gloating about how much money you're making off his work... :sick: