• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC 2014 --It's still Never to Early, Oct 9-12

734 posts in this topic

Can anybody tell me the name of Gator's booth?

I thought it was something like New Force comics, but that name doesn't show up on the exhibitor list.

It says Filter's Comics. I believe he is sharing his booth with Filter (Adam from the forum).

Can anybody tell me the name of Gator's booth?

I thought it was something like New Force comics, but that name doesn't show up on the exhibitor list.

It says Filter's Comics. I believe he is sharing his booth with Filter (Adam from the forum).

Booth 3013

So my friend who got me the "guest" passes finally filled me in on the back story. A family member works for AMC and had him set up a night for a few major con celebrities at his restaurant. This is 100% on the level but neither of us have any idea what kind of access, if any, they grant me. Skip panel lines? Rub Patrick Stewart's head for good luck? Sit on Stan lees lap?

Maybe with the extra income, Reed can hire some literate help. Spent over an hour fighting over a pass that was left for Bill Ryan because my drivers license says William, not Bill. First it wasn't there, then someone else had already picked it up, then they wanted an email confirmation, even though it was done after online registration was over. If it weren't for three extremely helpful volunteers, I'd still be on the outside looking in.

If you are coming from Penn, be advised the 34th St bus stop is now between 7th and 8th, as there is construction where it used to be.

E,F and 7 train are all running with delays because of construction.

Stinks you had all those troubles to get in.

Too bad we didn't meet up...there was a lot of traffic and I'm surprised I didn't run into many people.

Next time!

i had a very nice articulate fellow where i picked up my pass, but that was for passes left on the behalf of panelists. nobody waiting on that line.

i got in a little before 4 and it didn't seem crowded at all, although as i made the ridiculous schlep from the subway to javitz (and no cross town buses seemed to be running) it seemed like tons of people were leaving (where the heck do you need to go at 3:40 on a thursday?) i will probably be coming in around the same time today with my son as i decided it would be a bad idea for him to ditch school today for us to come earlier. a friend is on a panel this afternoon and i want to see it.

probably did 80% of my buying already. yes, they were at the non-reduced/get rid of inventory prices of a sunday, but they had been a bit less picked over. one of these days i will get in when they open on thursday to see what i am missing by getting to these books after 100 other guys have already been through them.

found some good stuff in the $2-$3 boxes...stuff that 10 years ago was dollar box material though, but no big winners. in the past i could count on securing a nice stack of $15-20+++ books out of these boxes (FMV wise, not guide), but no more. mistakes still wind up in these boxes, but they either get snagged faster now or dealers are making fewer of them.

i do not understand dealers who have books in $3-$4 boxes (maybe 3 or 4 for $10) who can't be bothered bagging and boarding them. i get it on $1 box books, totally, but these books will all be trashed by the end of the show. i know it's not a lot of money, but at that price point it seems worth it.

hit one dealer who had a decent selection of 3 for $10 books, no bags and boards, pulled out some nice VFish type early/mid 70s good books only to flip through them and find that they ALL had clipped coupons/stamps. this is the problem, you need to look at this stuff, even the cheapies, and it is time consuming. i probably bought 100+ $2-$3 type books yesterday and while i did a quick back cover look to check for water stains/damage on the top and bottom of the backs covers, i would have been there all night if i had actually taken each book out of their bags and flipped though them. as they were mainly bought from two dealers i buy from at every show, i have some level of trust, but even with one of them i opened up a beat up SA book that was pretty cheap at that price only to see that in addition to being low grade about 1/3 of the pages had been cut up. i wouldn't try to return a book like this, but i might mention it next year if there were a bunch of them as I don't haggle much with these types of sellers, although i figure if I am over $100 on a total purchase they can knock a few bucks off.

Bought $150 worth of books from Skybound then went next door to Graphitti to pick up some exclusives. Was going through piles to snag some primo copies for my LCS when I didn't notice some :censored: snagged my bag of Skybound goodies. Went back to replace my copies and the guys recognized me wondering why I was there so soon. Told them my story and they replaced all my books at 50%. That was an AWESOME thing for them to do! (thumbs u :applause:

Bought $150 worth of books from Skybound then went next door to Graphitti to pick up some exclusives. Was going through piles to snag some primo copies for my LCS when I didn't notice some :censored: snagged my bag of Skybound goodies. Went back to replace my copies and the guys recognized me wondering why I was there so soon. Told them my story and they replaced all my books at 50%. That was an AWESOME thing for them to do! (thumbs u :applause:

Someone stole your comics? LAME!!! :sumo:

I went yesterday at 430, walked there from work. They might as well just call it the cosplay con. Checked out all the comic tables but unfortunately didn't buy anything, almost bought a sweet FF50 9.2 but decided against it because I just blew my wad on the hulk 1 the other day. All the cosplay was a major turn off for me though

It's definately a spectacle. More of an homage to what comics have wrought than anything. My friend put it well, I'm excited about going and then you get there and realize it's not so much fun. But it's a pilgrimage of sorts and I wouldn't miss it. Headed there now!

reminds me of nycc a few years ago. i was with my son and rummaging in front of dolgoff's booth and he (my son) needed to go to the bathroom, so i took him (it was very close to the booth). except i left my bag in front of dolgoff's booth, which had a short box with about $500 in purchases in it. i realized this as we were waiting on line for a toilet, ran out of there with my son trailing behind...luckily it was still sitting right there where i left it.

reminds me of nycc a few years ago. i was with my son and rummaging in front of dolgoff's booth and he (my son) needed to go to the bathroom, so i took him (it was very close to the booth). except i left my bag in front of dolgoff's booth, which had a short box with about $500 in purchases in it. i realized this as we were waiting on line for a toilet, ran out of there with my son trailing behind...luckily it was still sitting right there where i left it.

Nobody saw something, said something? :whatthe:

I went yesterday at 430, walked there from work. They might as well just call it the cosplay con. Checked out all the comic tables but unfortunately didn't buy anything, almost bought a sweet FF50 9.2 but decided against it because I just blew my wad on the hulk 1 the other day. All the cosplay was a major turn off for me though

frankly, i barely noticed the cosplay, but i just stayed in a discrete area where there were comic dealers concentrated

Not even close to more cosplayers than buyers. I talked to Greg Reese yesterday and he said things were going quite well, business-wise.

i did not wander the whole floor at all, but i think they did a pretty good job of getting the comic sellers near the other comic sellers this time. over in the more non-back issue areas it is likely a different mix. there were plenty of folks rummaging but i didn't feel like i had too many other people breathing down my neck. of course, i take up a lot of space, so maybe people were just clearing out.

i suspect saturday will be different. i think the comic buyers are hitting the place on thursday and friday more than ever and sunday is going to be more of a family situation. i know a bunch of people taking their kids. and the kids will largely be in costume. saturday is probably going to be the real cosplay insanity.

My wife's novel is being featured at the Penguin Booth at NYCC, #2108 I believe. It's called The Midnight Queen by Sylvia Izzo Hunter. Please check it out if you get a chance. I would love to hear what you guys think of it.

http://www.penguin.com/static/pages/features/comic_con/?CMP=SMC-CON14

If anyone stops by the Penguin booth, can you take a picture? I am interested in how they are promoting my wife's novel. Thanks.

Drew and I will go

I need you to do a few things for me while you're there.