• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC 2014 --It's still Never to Early, Oct 9-12

734 posts in this topic

My hotel is booked but still thinking about flights. hm

My flight just got adjusted was to be later at night and now they moved it to the middle of the day :(

You fly out of Toronto or gunna drive the extra lil bit to buffalo?

It's an ongoing discussion. lol

Cheaper flights, shorter flights, cheaper parking its all a win... unless you bringing books to a booth etc then be a bit of a pain lol

Much longer drive.

Duty free without having to worry about suitcase packing :baiting:

Looks like the group is leaning towards Buffalo.

The initial set up for booths will be the night before. Final set up will be that Thursday A.M. (I.e., high grade CGC books will be brought in that day rather than left overnight).

This year, the public will be let in starting at 12 noon Thursday. Most booths will be ready. As a collector, you want access to whatever you collect first when the crowds are the smallest.

Sunday is the best day to bargain hunt as people will rather sell cheap than schlep merchandise back home with them.

Cheers!

N.

The showroom floor opens at 12pm this year nice.

Then it should be the last year I attend. :)

I know you're (kinda) joking about it, but this show has become so big so quickly that I sometimes feel overwhelmed and need to step out for a breath of fresh air (or whatever) resembles that in Manhattan.

Finding a hotel is becoming a chore. Heck, even finding an available taxi anywhere in proximately of the convention can take upwards of 30 minutes.

At some point, you have to start thinking about whether this is all worthwhile.

This should be the year NYCC attendance surpasses SDCC. Both Saturday and Sunday sold out really quick.

Comic Shops aren't sure if they are getting any tickets to sell.

I have no facts, but I sincerely doubt this. San Diego is a con-machine, New York is a zoo.

No way this can ever outgrow SDCC, unless they rebuild Javits. 2c . . . and put in some public transportation near to it too.

This should be the year NYCC attendance surpasses SDCC. Both Saturday and Sunday sold out really quick.

I have no facts, but I sincerely doubt this. San Diego is a con-machine, New York is a zoo.

No way this can ever outgrow SDCC, unless they rebuild Javits. 2c . . . and put in some public transportation near to it too.

the facts:

2013 nycc attendance: 133,000

2013 sdcc attendance: 134,000

Sources:

http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/About/NYCC-Fan-FAQs/

http://sdccblog.com/2013/11/how-sdcc-compares-to-other-conventions/

javits center is walking distance form penn station which basically connects all of new york city.

will nycc ever be the spectacle that sdcc is? probably not, but from a pure attendance perspective it can easily surpass it.

I actually think NYCC inflated the numbers by selling less multi day passes and more daily passes. SDCC has 4X the space than NYCC and significantly more exhibitors and dealers.

Given how NYCC's server crashed twice during ticket sales, this may be the last time I will be able to buy a block of tickets for my family members.

NY still has plenty of hotel space when compared to SD. Rooms are

pricey but you can find one. SD jacks up the price of hotels just for the show and you usually have to book 1 year in advance prepaid.

The construction of the 7 train extension from Times Square directly to the Javits convention center is almost complete. You can see the giant ventilation systems on corner of 34th St. That should help alleviate waiting for a taxi slightly. SDCC does have a free hotel shuttle bus to and from the convention center. NY should look into that.

The NY special edition show wasn't bad if you collected art or comics. No pop culture guests; just a small group of dealers and artists. It was held in the 'airplane hangar' known as artists alley. Crowds were minimal when compared to NYCC.

NY is my local show but I fully understand the hassles of travelling to the show.

See you all there.

Cheers!

N.

the facts:

2013 nycc attendance: 133,000

2013 sdcc attendance: 134,000

Sources:

http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/About/NYCC-Fan-FAQs/

http://sdccblog.com/2013/11/how-sdcc-compares-to-other-conventions/

javits center is walking distance form penn station which basically connects all of new york city.

will nycc ever be the spectacle that sdcc is? probably not, but from a pure attendance perspective it can easily surpass it.

I find those numbers VERY suspect. Just look at the size of the SDCC and how packed it is, and compare this to the dinky Javits - it doesn't seem possible to me.

But I do know they are still building infrastructure around the Javits and there's even been talk of rebuilding that larger (I think the NYCC was one reason sited as a motivation for this) so it's possible that maybe someday it might approach the size of the SDCC, but I doubt that's going to happen without some of these changes happening. 2c

The construction of the 7 train extension from Times Square directly to the Javits convention center is almost complete. You can see the giant ventilation systems on corner of 34th St. That should help alleviate waiting for a taxi slightly. SDCC does have a free hotel shuttle bus to and from the convention center. NY should look into that.

They're extending the 7 down that far? My family and I are headed there in Oct so we could ride all the way from Willet's Point to Javits? :headbang: awesome

See you there!

They're extending the 7 down that far? My family and I are headed there in Oct so we could ride all the way from Willet's Point to Javits? :headbang: awesome

See you there!

I've been waiting 10 years for this to happen :acclaim:

Got my placed booked thru Airbnb today! All set now.

. . . now about that $pare room hm

:jokealert:

Yeah. My first time using airbnb but it's for me and three friends. Was cheaper than getting two hotel rooms. Fingers crossed it turns out well.

See you there!

Not sure if it will be finished by then, but it is extending that far. For people with taxi problems, walk up to 37th St. and 10th Ave. (one avenue from the convention center) - there is a gas station there that the taxis all use, easiest place in the city to get a cab.

See you there!

Not sure if it will be finished by then, but it is extending that far. For people with taxi problems, walk up to 37th St. and 10th Ave. (one avenue from the convention center) - there is a gas station there that the taxis all use, easiest place in the city to get a cab.

Just use the Uber app. It's taken away the hassle of catching a cab in NYC for me.

See you there!

Just use the Uber app. It's taken away the hassle of catching a cab in NYC for me.

I actually got a drink from that gas station on the way to the Con back in '12, it was packed with cabs. We may actually be staying in Hell's Kitchen this time so at most we have to look forward to is a little walk, maybe 8 blocks

Confirmation for my four day pass. Will be there Thursday night, sometime on Friday and Sunday.

Again, I suggest this every year for the out of townies... You can easily get a hotel on Long Island for far cheaper than you would in the city. A train pass gets you from Long Island to Penn which is a ten minute walk from the con.

I helped a boardie out last year. If anyone needs any suggestions or guidance for the area lmk through PM.

Yoram

Both are good choices in the Times Square area.

Virgil's is decent BBQ, (for NYC), and their pig out special is great if you are on a high protein diet.

Carmine's is the opposite spectrum. It's great for large groups eating family style carbo loading pasta. They usually don't take reservations unless you have 8+ persons in your party.

See you soon.

Cheers!

N.