• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC 2014 --It's still Never to Early, Oct 9-12

734 posts in this topic

I was 20th online at the MIDTOWN COMICS DOWNTOWN NYCC ticket sale, stayed overnight and final got (1) 3 day & (3) 4 day passes. Friend held a spot for me while I was at work on Wednesday. Went home, changed came back to Manhattan to wait with my friend. The line looked like an Occupy Wall Street Movement or a refugee camp for some 3rd World peeps. Called out Thursday to recoup from my overnight stay. It was grungy but kinda fun. You don't know desolation until you walk around the pier of South Street Seaport at 3am. Earlier today, prior to letting people up, as they were gathering security to organize a calm line some people brought free donuts & posters to us (spoils of being the first peeps there. Fox 5 News was also interviewing fans about staying overnight to get NYCC Tickets. After I got tix, my bud & I went to a dinner down the street to relax & recharge the batteries before heading home.

I was 20th online at the MIDTOWN COMICS DOWNTOWN NYCC ticket sale, stayed overnight and final got (1) 3 day & (3) 4 day passes. Friend held a spot for me while I was at work on Wednesday. Went home, changed came back to Manhattan to wait with my friend. The line looked like an Occupy Wall Street Movement or a refugee camp for some 3rd World peeps. Called out Thursday to recoup from my overnight stay. It was grungy but kinda fun. You don't know desolation until you walk around the pier of South Street Seaport at 3am. Earlier today, prior to letting people up, as they were gathering security to organize a calm line some people brought free donuts & posters to us (spoils of being the first peeps there. Fox 5 News was also interviewing fans about staying overnight to get NYCC Tickets. After I got tix, my bud & I went to a dinner down the street to relax & recharge the batteries before heading home.

Yeah yeah yeah, you had a great time...screw you ya TWIT!!! :kidaround:

crazy what it is coming too...used to be able to walk up and get into a con (sdcc upto the early 2000's even)... now, you have to camp out days in advance...geesh

crazy what it is coming too...used to be able to walk up and get into a con (sdcc upto the early 2000's even)... now, you have to camp out days in advance...geesh

Two years ago (I think) people were getting NYCC tix on the day of the show, without any line to speak of.

Two years ago (I think) people were getting NYCC tix on the day of the show, without any line to speak of.

Pretty sure I remember picking up tix on Saturday day of in 2010. I also remember just walking into a sparsely crowded main auditorium without any wait. Last year, it took 2-3 hours to get into the main hall.

I think its only a matter of time before this show surpasses SD in attendance. Not sure about exclusives and freebies as I'm usually stuck in the Original Art section, helping out a friend.

It was already far more challenging finding a decent hotel room this year than previous years and I suspect we'll see more of the same going forward.

I've never been to SD, but would love to hear from folks that have been to both shows recently to get your take on fan and dealer experiences.

I think the advantage that NYCC has over SDCC is that it's in a major metropolitan area, where a huge portion of the fan base lives in or around. San Diego is way down off the bottom, left coast of the country, and most everyone has to travel and pay for lodging if they want to attend. The disadvantage for NYCC is the same - it's in a major metropolitan area that has a lot to offer and the con is just one event in the grand scheme of it. If NYCC were to try to steal SDCC's thunder, I think that San Diego isn't going to give up without a fight. They'd probably double the convention and hotel area and install a space-port to keep that thing going long into the future.

Or with all the shows popping up it is the beginning of the end of the super show. I don't know why anyone would line up for tickets for NYCC.

I don't know why anyone would line up for tickets for NYCC.

Because you get a better shot of actually getting tickets in person at a few stores than most people did online with the ridiculous queue system they implemented this year.

There were those that genuinely wanted tickets while others wanted to resell them on Ebay. Profit to be made when people need things especially if they can't take off of work to get them.

Because you get a better shot of actually getting tickets in person at a few stores than most people did online with the ridiculous queue system they implemented this year.

There were those that genuinely wanted tickets while others wanted to resell them on Ebay. Profit to be made when people need things especially if they can't take off of work to get them.

Let me rephrase. I don't know why anyone would waste their time to get tickets to go to NYCC. I wouldn't even consider standing in a line like that to go to a "comic convention".

Let me rephrase. I don't know why anyone would waste their time to get tickets to go to NYCC. I wouldn't even consider standing in a line like that to go to a "comic convention".

It's similar, though not the same, as staying outside on a line overnight to buy the newest IPhone or best Black Friday deals at the local Best Buy.

The difference is: 1) you can buy those other things online anytime & 2) instead of buying this "thing" that will eventually be outdated, you're purchasing an experience -- to see all the wonderful things a con that big has to offer. It's most certainly going the way of SDCC so this will most likely be my last NYCC show. I can get a similar experience at a smaller con and get the same joy so that's the plan for me.

It's similar, though not the same, as staying outside on a line overnight to buy the newest IPhone or best Black Friday deals at the local Best Buy.

The difference is: 1) you can buy those other things online anytime & 2) instead of buying this "thing" that will eventually be outdated, you're purchasing an experience -- to see all the wonderful things a con that big has to offer. It's most certainly going the way of SDCC so this will most likely be my last NYCC show. I can get a similar experience at a smaller con and get the same joy so that's the plan for me.

How is it similar? 'Cuz you're waiting outside for something?

That's my point exactly. Hit the smaller con and get the same joy. I would say you get an even better experience. I am planning my 1st trip over the pond to a con with that in mind.

That's my point exactly. Hit the smaller con and get the same joy. I would say you get an even better experience. I am planning my 1st trip over the pond to a con with that in mind.

I have way more fun at NYCC than I do at whatever that little NYC con is called.

I don't know about NY but here in Toronto we have a comic convention almost every weekend. I think the last count of planned cons put it at around 35 annually. With FanExpo trending toward pop culture and a comic show on any given Sunday with quite a few of the same dealers I don't see attending Fanexpo in the future.

For a comic dealer it is much more expensive and for me as a buyer prices seem more firm. Except maybe Sunday where deals are to be had. I find smaller cons with less invested that I can negotiate in a relaxed environment from the time the doors open.

For signatures I am more than happy to hand my books over to Doug and co and go to the smaller shows.

I have way more fun at NYCC than I do at whatever that little NYC con is called.

I guess you like crowds and standing in line. (shrug)

I think the best kept secret is that Thursday is the best day for comic collectors.

It's a joy to go that day - less crowds, less Cos-play blocking the passageways, and everyone is still not as stressed out yet, and you can actually have a conversation with people. Friday it starts to go to all heck and forget Saturday.

I don't mind crowds terribly, and I don't wait in line for much other than getting in. I don't go to cons to buy comics, and that's pretty much all there is to do at the little ones.