• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC 2014 --It's still Never to Early, Oct 9-12

734 posts in this topic

AA is actually really good for a con that size. I guess Thurs is better for browsing or conversations but after what dealers spend to be there I prefer Sunday for buying.

I don't know why anyone would line up for tickets for NYCC.

Because you get a better shot of actually getting tickets in person at a few stores than most people did online with the ridiculous queue system they implemented this year.

There were those that genuinely wanted tickets while others wanted to resell them on Ebay. Profit to be made when people need things especially if they can't take off of work to get them.

Let me rephrase. I don't know why anyone would waste their time to get tickets to go to NYCC. I wouldn't even consider standing in a line like that to go to a "comic convention".

It's similar, though not the same, as staying outside on a line overnight to buy the newest IPhone or best Black Friday deals at the local Best Buy.

The difference is: 1) you can buy those other things online anytime & 2) instead of buying this "thing" that will eventually be outdated, you're purchasing an experience -- to see all the wonderful things a con that big has to offer. It's most certainly going the way of SDCC so this will most likely be my last NYCC show. I can get a similar experience at a smaller con and get the same joy so that's the plan for me.

That's my point exactly. Hit the smaller con and get the same joy. I would say you get an even better experience. I am planning my 1st trip over the pond to a con with that in mind.

I have way more fun at NYCC than I do at whatever that little NYC con is called.

I guess you like crowds and standing in line. (shrug)

I think the best kept secret is that Thursday is the best day for comic collectors.

It's a joy to go that day - less crowds, less Cos-play blocking the passageways, and everyone is still not as stressed out yet, and you can actually have a conversation with people. Friday it starts to go to all heck and forget Saturday.

Yep, Thursday and Sunday are the best days I've found, if you're buying comics. I'd say Sunday is the best day for OA.

I don't know why anyone would line up for tickets for NYCC.

Because you get a better shot of actually getting tickets in person at a few stores than most people did online with the ridiculous queue system they implemented this year.

There were those that genuinely wanted tickets while others wanted to resell them on Ebay. Profit to be made when people need things especially if they can't take off of work to get them.

Let me rephrase. I don't know why anyone would waste their time to get tickets to go to NYCC. I wouldn't even consider standing in a line like that to go to a "comic convention".

It's similar, though not the same, as staying outside on a line overnight to buy the newest IPhone or best Black Friday deals at the local Best Buy.

The difference is: 1) you can buy those other things online anytime & 2) instead of buying this "thing" that will eventually be outdated, you're purchasing an experience -- to see all the wonderful things a con that big has to offer. It's most certainly going the way of SDCC so this will most likely be my last NYCC show. I can get a similar experience at a smaller con and get the same joy so that's the plan for me.

That's my point exactly. Hit the smaller con and get the same joy. I would say you get an even better experience. I am planning my 1st trip over the pond to a con with that in mind.

I have way more fun at NYCC than I do at whatever that little NYC con is called.

I guess you like crowds and standing in line. (shrug)

I think the best kept secret is that Thursday is the best day for comic collectors.

It's a joy to go that day - less crowds, less Cos-play blocking the passageways, and everyone is still not as stressed out yet, and you can actually have a conversation with people. Friday it starts to go to all heck and forget Saturday.

Yep, Thursday and Sunday are the best days I've found, if you're buying comics. I'd say Sunday is the best day for OA.

Every year it gets a little busier however. Some day they'll probably add a Wednesday lol

any advice on the best way to make sure i get my amazing fantasy 15 stan lee'd and cgc'd? Ive never done this at the con before..

and what if i dont go to the con...is there an alternative way to get the auto and cgc?

any advice on the best way to make sure i get my amazing fantasy 15 stan lee'd and cgc'd? Ive never done this at the con before..

and what if i dont go to the con...is there an alternative way to get the auto and cgc?

desertwind comics is the only way.. (thumbs u GL

desertwind comics is not the way. (thumbs u GL

Fixed that for you.

There will be many facilitators here that can get that done for you. This includes the official facilitator for Stan at the event. I believe that is NYComics but I may be mistaken.

Booked my flight last night. Thank you Jet Blue sale!

Just went through the AA list and there are at least 10 big names that I have not met at a convention yet. Always a good thing! Now the difficult task of picking approx 15-20 books to bring with me.

Looking forward to meeting these creators

Brian K Vaughan

Chris Giarrusso

Chris Mooneyham

Cliff Chiang

Dan Parent

David Petersen

Dexter Vines

Edgar Delgado

Geof Darrow

Joe Eisma

Klaus Janson

Mark Texeira

Matt "BATT" Banning

Matteo Scalera

Mike Lilly

Roc Upchurch

Stephanie Hans

Tyler Jenkins

Booked my flight last night. Thank you Jet Blue sale!

Just went through the AA list and there are at least 10 big names that I have not met at a convention yet. Always a good thing! Now the difficult task of picking approx 15-20 books to bring with me.

Dexter Vines - Civil War :applause:

desertwind comics is not the way. (thumbs u GL

Fixed that for you.

There will be many facilitators here that can get that done for you. This includes the official facilitator for Stan at the event. I believe that is NYComics but I may be mistaken.

Hey!

They sell autograph tickets for Stan while you wait in his line. We are thrilled to be Stan's CGC Signature Series Facilitator at the show. We will have witnesses right over Stan's shoulder and our booth right next door so you can just walk right over and submit once he signs your item.

Check out our website. www.nycomics.us

We are also promoting the only annual Todd McFarlane Private Signing for CGC Signature Series and our Masters 2014 lineup.

All the best,

Sean

For larger shows like NYCC and SDCC, random appearances can happen. Hopefully someone can provide you an example or two from the past. I can't specifically think of any. From what I've observed over the past few years, most signings done at vendors booths or publisher booths, get posted to those respective vendors/publishers websites in advance of the show.

My experience is with SDCC but Marvel and DC usually have some rarer creator signings. They're announced at least at the show though, if not a few days before. Examples include Bendis, Cassaday, and Jeph Loeb for Marvel and Grant Morrison for DC.

NYCC does a better job with its guest list though so DC's and Marvel's guests may be announced ahead of time on the website.