• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC 2014 --It's still Never to Early, Oct 9-12

734 posts in this topic

When does the NYCC start to showcase their Exclusives?

judging by last year, they tend to wait until much closer to the show to officially announce.

example:

DC Collectibles announced on Sept 13th 2013

Marvel announced all merch on Oct 2nd 2013

Image Comics announced on Oct 1st 2013

We may see some stuff leak sooner but in most cases, I would use the past as a suggestion on where to place expectations for this year.

Has NYCC jumped the shark this year?

Even with all the frenzy ( and fiasco ) over ticket sales this year, Thursday tickets are still available at normal prices online.

While it is my local show, there is only so much b.s. I will accept as I get older. :preach::sumo::sick:

Time to clean up your act Reed Elsevier.

Cheers!

N.

Even with all the frenzy ( and fiasco ) over ticket sales this year, Thursday tickets are still available at normal prices online.

While it is my local show, there is only so much b.s. I will accept as I get older. :preach::sumo::sick:

Cheers!

N.

1. The guest list (no disrespect to those on it) does not look quite as 'star-studded' as in past years in terms or entertainment or comic talent, especially when this is allegedly supposed to compete with SDCC, and yes I do realize more guests will be added closer to the date. But right now it looks like a Batman - Karate Kid circle J with some Hodor thrown in. When Hodor is your second best celebrity in NYC, ticket sales might get sluggish...

2. There's a lot more comic cons than their used to be, and there are some very good ones not too far away. Where people used to make a trip to NYC, they can stay in Baltimore or Boston or Philly, etc. SOme people would rather avoid the travel, crowds, and general expenisiveness of NYC.

3. Related to point 2, advertisers, dealers, and companies gotta budget for other cons too. Just because there's more cons doesn't mean total con budget goes up. Less money put into NYC from the business can and does trickle down to affect ticket sales.

4. Knicks are gonna succcckkkk.....

Cheers!

N.

1. The guest list (no disrespect to those on it) does not look quite as 'star-studded' as in past years in terms or entertainment or comic talent, especially when this is allegedly supposed to compete with SDCC, and yes I do realize more guests will be added closer to the date. But right now it looks like a Batman - Karate Kid circle J with some Hodor thrown in. When Hodor is your second best celebrity in NYC, ticket sales might get sluggish...

2. There's a lot more comic cons than their used to be, and there are some very good ones not too far away. Where people used to make a trip to NYC, they can stay in Baltimore or Boston or Philly, etc. SOme people would rather avoid the travel, crowds, and general expenisiveness of NYC.

3. Related to point 2, advertisers, dealers, and companies gotta budget for other cons too. Just because there's more cons doesn't mean total con budget goes up. Less money put into NYC from the business can and does trickle down to affect ticket sales.

Yes because ticket sales are sooooo sluggish that 2,000 NYers waited outside overnight to get their tickets from MIDTOWN COMICS DOWNTOWN a few weeks ago -- event reported by a number of news networks. There's also the fact that people are selling these on EBay for double to triple the value and people are paying the price without question.

As for the guest list, not sure what you're reading. I wouldn't call the current list chump change: Stan Lee, Bryan K Vaughn, Bryan Lee O'Malley, Steve McNiven and more. The Artist Alley list is huuuuuuge and y'all need to check out the talent coming to this con.

As for pricing, I understand. NYC is a pricey place but that's why they host this event once a year -- so you can take the year to save all that money and come to this beast.

Cheers!

N.

Yes because ticket sales are sooooo sluggish that 2,000 NYers waited outside overnight to get their tickets from MIDTOWN COMICS DOWNTOWN a few weeks ago -- event reported by a number of news networks. There's also the fact that people are selling these on EBay for double to triple the value and people are paying the price without question.

As for the guest list, not sure what you're reading. I wouldn't call the current list chump change: Stan Lee, Bryan K Vaughn, Bryan Lee O'Malley, Steve McNiven and more. The Artist Alley list is huuuuuuge and y'all need to check out the talent coming to this con.

As for pricing, I understand. NYC is a pricey place but that's why they host this event once a year -- so you can take the year to save all that money and come to this beast.

Completely irrelevant.

Cheers!

N.

Completely irrelevant.

Yah, I'm not saying its not HUGE or that it won't sell out (I think it has). BUT it did take longer to sell out than previous years, AND go ahead and compare the current guest list to previous years, its easy to do. I think in the last few years, people were thinking NYCC could rival SDCC. Looking at this year's guest list from a comic and entertainment perspective (so far), it just doesn't stack up to the previous years. Although I'm pretty sure they'll add a BUNCH of artists over the next month.

I'm not saying it ain't big, just that there might be some reason for slower ticket sales, not that its collapsing, or that its a failure. But if I'm running the show, there are things I'd think about.

Cheers!

N.

Completely irrelevant.

Yah, I'm not saying its not HUGE or that it won't sell out (I think it has). BUT it did take longer to sell out than previous years, AND go ahead and compare the current guest list to previous years, its easy to do. I think in the last few years, people were thinking NYCC could rival SDCC. Looking at this year's guest list from a comic and entertainment perspective (so far), it just doesn't stack up to the previous years. Although I'm pretty sure they'll add a BUNCH of artists over the next month.

I'm not saying it ain't big, just that there might be some reason for slower ticket sales, not that its collapsing, or that its a failure. But if I'm running the show, there are things I'd think about.

I don't see how ticket sales are sluggish when the only tickets available are Thursday. The queue ticketing online was ridiculous. VIP tickets were gone within a few minutes. Stores listed on NYCC site show many stores have sold out of their tickets. Its turning to SDCC with regard to the way tickets sold & how they sold. It hasn't gotten there yet but it will, guaranteed. If peeps can't make SDCC, you can bet they'll aim for NYCC.

Since it's heading that way it will be my last show. I went to Philly & Boston shows and, although smaller, the quality of the show, the guests coupled with a smaller crowd & less headaches makes smaller shows much more appealing. Baltimore, Emerald, Heroes - these cons look like fun places to go without having to mortgage the house.

Cheers!

N.

Completely irrelevant.

I don't really see how you can compare this year's guest list to other years when the list isn't complete yet.

Cheers!

N.

Completely irrelevant.

I don't really see how you can compare this year's guest list to other years when the list isn't complete yet.

I was thinking the same thing, in previous years they have added loads of great guests in the month leading up to the show!

Cheers!

N.

Completely irrelevant.

I was thinking the same thing, in previous years they have added loads of great guests in the month leading up to the show!

I'm not saying it applies across the board, but not everyone knows WHEN guests are added. I'm just saying ticket sales are slower than last year (still available!), and part of it might be that the guest list looks somewhat lackluster compared to last year. I'm not saying it couldn't be something else or that its the end of NYCC as we know it, just that the list could have some impact on sales as it stands.

I'm not saying it applies across the board, but not everyone knows WHEN guests are added. I'm just saying ticket sales are slower than last year (still available!), and part of it might be that the guest list looks somewhat lackluster compared to last year. I'm not saying it couldn't be something else or that its the end of NYCC as we know it, just that the list could have some impact on sales as it stands.

The guest list was fairly similar at this time last year - NYCC always adds most of their major guests closer to the actual show. It doesn't matter - the show always sells out.

It's all sold out except for Thursday, right? That sounds similar to last year as well, and last year it was way easier to get 3- and 4-day tix. Feels to me like demand is up this year, but enough variables have changed that it's hard to be sure.

Every hardcore collector goes the first day to get the pick of the litter. Last year Thursday tickets sold out fairly quickly. Online tickets were completely sold out last year before retailers began to sell their allocation.

This year, NYCC is still selling Thursday tix online. Retailers like Midtown Comics still have Thursday tix available.

NYCC is no SDCC.

I think demand has peaked after the initial (artificially created) frenzy. People that were excited about attending are now indifferent.

Cheers!

N.

Every hardcore collector goes the first day to get the pick of the litter. Last year Thursday tickets sold out fairly quickly. Online tickets were completely sold out last year before retailers began to sell their allocation.

This year, NYCC is still selling Thursday tix online. Retailers like Midtown Comics still have Thursday tix available.

NYCC is no SDCC.

I think demand has peaked after the initial (artificially created) frenzy. People that were excited about attending are now indifferent.

Cheers!

N.

Well, my con thread will be filled with pics of the indifferent throngs.

It's all sold out except for Thursday, right? That sounds similar to last year as well, and last year it was way easier to get 3- and 4-day tix. Feels to me like demand is up this year, but enough variables have changed that it's hard to be sure.

demand is absolutely up, as i got my Saturday tickets last year a good month after they went on sale. these year they sold out VERY fast so i was only able to pick up friday tickets!..

one thing i dont get is how some say thursday is where you get the deals. that doesnt make sense to me, why would one want to move their "stuff" right away rather than have it sit and gather attention for 4 days! (hence why i feel at 1st it would make sense to OVERPRICE your stuff).. but thats just my 2c

demand is absolutely up, as i got my Saturday tickets last year a good month after they went on sale. these year they sold out VERY fast so i was only able to pick up friday tickets!..

one thing i dont get is how some say thursday is where you get the deals. that doesnt make sense to me, why would one want to move their "stuff" right away rather than have it sit and gather attention for 4 days! (hence why i feel at 1st it would make sense to OVERPRICE your stuff).. but thats just my 2c

I didn't see where anyone said you'd get a deal on Thursday. You will get the earliest crack at the best selection of books. To many, like me, that is often worth paying up for. You don't often get the best material at bargain prices. And you can still haggle on Thursday, nothing is stopping you. I made my two best purchases early on Thursday in Chicago and paid roughly 15% below sticker. Not a huge discount, but they are gorgeous books I'll own a loooong time.

The best stuff goes early and it's worth paying a little more for it. And dealers aren't out of their minds busy and you can move around better with the smaller crowds. And of course you can still bargain with the sellers and get a deal.