• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman: The Man of Steel #17 & 18 (Doomsday)
3 3

879 posts in this topic

Rather off topic but I thought I would ask in here since some of the multiple printing experts might view this...what was the first comic book to go to a second printing??

GI Joe 2??

That was CALLED a second printing, or just reprint?

I think it was called a second printing. I think Star Wars 1 went to a second printing but was still designated as the first printing, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

The Star Wars are all designated "reprint", whether on the cover or in the indicia.

GI Joe #2 second printing didn't come out until 1985-86 (hence the 75 cent cover price) and was bagged with #26 and #27 second prints.

The earliest second prints chronologically are probably #3 and #4, but they are not marked as second printings (the #3 is easy to tell: it has the Marvel "M", rather than the price diamond.) #4 is told by the ads: this book originally came out in 1982. Second printings have an ultra-slightly different font in the price box, and Return of the Jedi game ad on the back (making them 1983 reprints.)

But again, they aren't marked as second printings.

The chronology of the printings is tough. We have to consider the clues:

First: cover price. Is it 60 cents, 65 cents, or 75 cents? This is not conclusive. Later printings could easily have just used the earlier cover price. Assuming they didn't, the earliest book that is actually marked second printing would be #7, which has a 60 cent cover price.

But a wrench in this theory is #5: #5 second print has a 75 cent cover price, but was apparently included in #3-5 3-packs, which doesn't square with either the ads or the then-current cover price.

What is reasonable to conclude is this: while it's possible that later printings simply used the expired cover prices instead of updating them to then-current prices, it's not likely that a standard book reprinted in 1984 would have a 65 or 75 cent cover price or a standard book reprinted in 1985 would have a 75 cent cover price, especially given the evidence of 60 and 65 cent reprints (which shows an effort to maintain whatever the pricing was for standard books at the time of the printing.)

Second: Spidey head in the UPC box. We know that no reprint could have a black Spidey head in the UPC box before June, 1984 cover date, as it didn't exist. So, for #3 and #4 (but NOT #5!), we can safely conclude they were reprinted

Third: Cover price for new issues of GI Joe. With issue #34, the April, 1985 issue, the cover price for the regular line went to 75 cents, when the rest of the standard Marvel line went to 65 cents. This is unique to GI Joe. There are NO 65 cent regular issues of GI Joe!

Since the 65 cent cover price only lasted for 10 months, it is likely (but not guaranteed!) that the handful of 65 cent later printings (#14, #23, #29) were reprinted in this 10 month time span (4/85 to 2/86.)

So, what's the first issue that's called "second printing"? I'm going with #7.

By the way...the first no-contest "second printing" based on sellout demand that Marvel ever did?

Ghost Rider #1, 1990.

I have a Superman #74 third print 9.8.... ;)

Don't have the others right now, but I do have quite a few raws, including the ultra-ridiculously rare MOS #20 2nd that I hope will get a 9.8.

I have everything except the Adventures #499 third and MOS #17 2nd.

Have you tracked down a supergirl 1 3rd print?

Don't have the others right now, but I do have quite a few raws, including the ultra-ridiculously rare MOS #20 2nd that I hope will get a 9.8.

Comicartfan has one :gossip:

I did, but it was quite a bit lower grade than the 9.2 it was advertised to be, so I returned it.

Picked up a MOS 17 first print newsstand this past weekend. Are they generally more difficult to find?

Only the ones that have been farted on.

:sick::whee::acclaim:

After I got my MOS 17 second printing, I briefly listed my 3rd and 4th printings of Superman #75 on eBay to try and recuperate. I also had borderline buyers remorse for Superman #75 4th printing. The morning after listing these books, I found that I couldn't part with them, these were my books after all, so I told myself not to panic and I removed the listing.

After seeing these links, I decided to search out other 2-packs and bundles online. Seeing the condition they were in and how the comics were tightly pressed together made me appreciate my Superman #74 4th printing even more.