• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman: The Man of Steel #17 & 18 (Doomsday)
3 3

879 posts in this topic

SO...

MOS 18 is really tanking in 9.8 huh... hm

Happens all the time with comics that are plentiful -- and plentiful in high grade.

Someone notices the graded copies are selling for a nice profit (considering one could buy them raw for $3-$5 and get them graded for $25 or so).

Then the number of census copies go up and the price comes down.

SO...

Happens all the time with comics that are plentiful -- and plentiful in high grade.

Someone notices the graded copies are selling for a nice profit (considering one could buy them raw for $3-$5 and get them graded for $25 or so).

Some saturation going on with 18. That said, it appears that folks are a bit more driven currently to collect the "cameo" in 17 vs. the first full appearance in 18. Same thing is happening with the unofficial first appearance of Constantine.

I believe you'll see another bump in both issues as soon as there's another announcement related to Doomsday (which is inevitable).

Also: There may be elevated prices for a "newstand" edition vs. a "direct" edition. They're more rare in high grade and apparently more desirable.

SO...

Some saturation going on with 18. That said, it appears that folks are a bit more driven currently to collect the "cameo" in 17 vs. the first full appearance in 18. Same thing is happening with the unofficial first appearance of Constantine.

I believe you'll see another bump in both issues as soon as there's another announcement related to Doomsday (which is inevitable).

Also: There may be elevated prices for a "newstand" edition vs. a "direct" edition. They're more rare in high grade and apparently more desirable.

Much ado about nothing. #17 has always out-priced #18. It will eventually turn around for good. Hold your 18s and stick to your guns. Sell your 17s while the gettin' is good. ;)

SO...

Much ado about nothing. #17 has always out-priced #18. It will eventually turn around for good. Hold your 18s and stick to your guns. Sell your 17s while the gettin' is good. ;)

What will be the catalyst that sees 18 replace 17 as the "one to own"?

SO...

It's been discussed throughout this thread - where ya been? lol 17 is a cameo app that's shared in two other titles. 18 is 1st full app and cover and unique to MOS.

SO...

It's been discussed throughout this thread - where ya been? lol 17 is a cameo app that's shared in two other titles. 18 is 1st full app and cover and unique to MOS.

Oh I know about -- and own -- the other 2 titles similar to 17.

Though I'm guessing if I know, others do, too, and nothing has changed in terms of pricing.

No, 17 is the first brief appearance (one page, four panels, covered arm only) and the three other Superman titles each have their own similar page with four panels showing the progression of Doomsday breaking the wall of his prison.

No, 17 is the first brief appearance (one page, four panels, covered arm only) and the three other Superman titles each have their own similar page with four panels showing the progression of Doomsday breaking the wall of his prison.

Yep, agreed. Though I'm out of the loop on that 3rd title. hm

Perhaps it's b/c 17 is the first of the all-the-same-cameo?

I say just get both in 9.8 and set them next to each other on the mantel. ;)

Done and done. :thumbsup:

Trying to figure out when to get rid of my 9.6's. ;)

If this is your argument, I rest my case . . . mehzzz

If this is your argument, I rest my case . . . mehzzz

They are NOT the same page.

You need to get off your duff and actually read the books.

:whistle:

Doomsday-is-Coming-1-horz_zps73eeda23.jpg

The last (cameo) pages of Superman: The Man of Steel #17, Superman #73, Adventures of Superman #496 and Action Comics #683.

I'll admit, I haven't gone back and really looked at those panels since I was a kid. Seeing them all lined up does it make more interesting -- and does tilt the first cameo squarely in MoS 17's favor.

However, why does this cameo command more than the full appearance (when it is usually the opposite)?

Edited by manetteska

I'll admit, I haven't gone back and really looked at those panels since I was a kid. Seeing them all lined up does it make more interesting -- and does tilt the first cameo squarely in MoS 17's favor.

However, why does this cameo command more than the full appearance (when it is usually the opposite)?

It really SHOULDN'T even if it has. If there were only one singular cameo I'd agree with the fervor to collect the 'first cameo' appearance....but seeing there are multiple "cameos" it devalues, dillutes and confuses the value IMO.

That said, there's only one true first "full appearance" and that's MOS 18....and it's easy to make that determination.