• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman: The Man of Steel #17 & 18 (Doomsday)
3 3

879 posts in this topic

Odd question, but why is #17 worth more than #18? Most books have the full first appearance going for much more than the cameo.

i'm sure someone has the official numbers, but i think 18 has a much higher print run, they pretty much knew it'd be a big deal, therefore printed more. At least this is how I remember it. If i'm wrong, someone else feel free to step in.

This is an excellent question, I always heard the print numbers were much lower for the teaser cameos than the books from the full storyline. I would like to see the numbers as well. I have only seen 1 copy of #17 in the wild in twenty years.

Cap City numbers:

MOS #17 - 18,700

#18 - 26,350 (I was off on this one. It does help to explain the prices.)

#19 - 96,700

#20 - 84,250

#21 - 138,050

#22 (regular) - 109,350

#22 (die-cut) - 400,450

Stunning, stunning numbers. DC's marketing plan was absolute brilliance.

The Death of Supes absolutely dominated the comics market from November of 1992 until the spring of 1993.

Supes' numbers were low for most of 1992, MOS in the 20s and high 10s, and then shot up to the 100s and then slowly fell over the course of the next 3 years. MOS wouldn't fall back to the 20s again until late 1995.

Keep in mind, these are Capital City order numbers, and do not include the other Direct Market distributors (Diamond, Heroes World, etc) or the newsstand.

Cap City was about 25% of the market. Puts the numbers for #22 into perspective.

Turok #1 sold 1.75 million copies to the Direct market...and it was only the SIXTH highest selling book of 1993 (MOS #22, Supes #78, Action #687, Adventures #500, 501.)

Thank you for these numbers. I always enjoy seeing figures like this.

Right. It just seems like every other book considers the cameo (Hulk #180, ASM #299, etc.) to not be the official first appearance. Just seems like as a collector, I'd rather have the official first full appearance of a character as well.

It's quite amusing actually, because Supes #73 has the same three-panel Doomsday fist pounding wall segment . . . and yet?

There are numerous instances of ewhere the OSPG got it wrong, or lagged in editing new information or the market's preference. As most of the modern collectors out there have been saying, don't let a friend (drive while drinking) price based on OSPG. lol

Actually they are 4 panel pages starting with the first set in MOS 17 showing a progression of Doomsday breaking free and his rubber suit tearing revealing his bony protrusions until he breaks free in Action comics 683.

So MOS 17, Superman 73, Adventures 496, and Action 683 all in that order have the 4 panel fist shot but MOS 17 was the first.

Right. It just seems like every other book considers the cameo (Hulk #180, ASM #299, etc.) to not be the official first appearance. Just seems like as a collector, I'd rather have the official first full appearance of a character as well.

It's quite amusing actually, because Supes #73 has the same three-panel Doomsday fist pounding wall segment . . . and yet?

There are numerous instances of ewhere the OSPG got it wrong, or lagged in editing new information or the market's preference. As most of the modern collectors out there have been saying, don't let a friend (drive while drinking) price based on OSPG. lol

Actually they are 4 panel pages starting with the first set in MOS 17 showing a progression of Doomsday breaking free and his rubber suit tearing revealing his bony protrusions until he breaks free in Action comics 683.

So MOS 17, Superman 73, Adventures 496, and Action 683 all in that order have the 4 panel fist shot but MOS 17 was the first.

Thanks; which even further strengthens the argument for MOS #18 being THE issue to have and desire. :grin:

Thanks; which even further strengthens the argument for MOS #18 being THE issue to have and desire. :grin:

Which I'm going to stubbornly agree with since #18 is the only one which I currently own. :whistle:

The good thing about the MOS 17-19 is that when they were $20 and up back in the mid 90's, everyone bought them thinking they'd retire off them and realized there was no market for them even a year ago. Well, flea market season is in full swing and they're out there

Is this where I join the MOS 18 9.9 club?

I'm really stoked about getting this 9.9. About 1000 MOS 18s are on the census and still only 5 9.9s have been found. I hope it stays like that but with all of the submissions I'm sure it will change soon.

get-attachment-4aspx_zps2ae58b4a.jpeg

I'm really stoked about getting this 9.9. About 1000 MOS 18s are on the census and still only 5 9.9s have been found. I hope it stays like that but with all of the submissions I'm sure it will change soon.

great book!!

(insert picture here of the cgc 9.9)

:o

Now how about finding a 9.9 in a reprint (worship)

If a person is going to collect these Doomsday related Superman comics, what's the run down of "must have" in order of importance?

Value-wise is MOS 18 at the top, then MOS 17? And is the 1st printing the most valuable of each one? Or is it the last printing?

for an ultimate Doomsday collection might want to also include MOS18s from these countries:

Netherlands edition

Greece edition

Warsaw Poland edition

This is "Drops mic & walks off stage ..." epic!

I can't get this image out of my head, thanks cmixer!

This is "Drops mic & walks off stage ..." epic!

I can't get this image out of my head, thanks cmixer!

+1!

Very nice!! :applause:

Cap City numbers:

MOS #17 - 18,700

#18 - 26,350 (I was off on this one. It does help to explain the prices.)

#19 - 96,700

#20 - 84,250

#21 - 138,050

#22 (regular) - 109,350

#22 (die-cut) - 400,450

Stunning, stunning numbers. DC's marketing plan was absolute brilliance.

The Death of Supes absolutely dominated the comics market from November of 1992 until the spring of 1993.

Supes' numbers were low for most of 1992, MOS in the 20s and high 10s, and then shot up to the 100s and then slowly fell over the course of the next 3 years. MOS wouldn't fall back to the 20s again until late 1995.

Keep in mind, these are Capital City order numbers, and do not include the other Direct Market distributors (Diamond, Heroes World, etc) or the newsstand.

Cap City was about 25% of the market. Puts the numbers for #22 into perspective.

Turok #1 sold 1.75 million copies to the Direct market...and it was only the SIXTH highest selling book of 1993 (MOS #22, Supes #78, Action #687, Adventures #500, 501.)

So, there's no significant difference between #17 and #18. ;)

Yeah, because 40% increases aren't significant. :eyeroll:

Seriously, what's the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.9?

About $1000 ;)

I have NO idea how the graders decide one of these is a 9.9. But I will say, my 9.9 is a gorgeous book. No spine tics, perfect corners.

If Doomsday gets put into a future movie, having a 9.9 will be like winning the lottery.

Goodluck on your submission. I hope you get atleast a 9.8

Edited by gadzukes

Thanks. It seems to the general audience, a 9.8 is "perfect" and a 9.9 or 10 must be hand-assembled by Benedictine monks or something.

I wonder how much the "mood" of the grader has to do with it. Like maybe they woke up with a crick in their neck so no comic can get better than a 9.6 that day. Or maybe they just had a really good bowel movement so they give an otherwise 9.8 a 9.9.