• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess who's on Comic book men tonight!

102 posts in this topic

I just watched it. Lauren was a hoot. The rest of the episode sucked.

Though it would be cool to have the Incredible Hulk as a personal trainer.

Party on, Lauren! ^^

Some comments directly on Kevin Smith's facebook page may also get the job done! As executive producer, it's in his best interest to appease the fans. And if the fans are demanding more segments with Baltimore Lauren, then hopefully thats exactly what he will do.

https://www.facebook.com/YesThatKevinSmith

They had no clue what a Pep 22 was. To quote my BFF, "You looked like you were about to sass them senseless with that."

Great job! You looked pretty, dressed sharp, had a nice voice, and seemed nice, smiled a bit.

They seemed like insufficiently_thoughtful_persons. For example:

"Is that Archie?"

"3.5, that's low right?"

"What's Pep 22?"

"I don't like making Archie placate today's youth"

I understand prompting the conversation for the audience, but isn't the show a comic book show for a comic book audience? It seems like they are trying to do too many different types of shows in one short span.

They had no clue what a Pep 22 was. To quote my BFF, "You looked like you were about to sass them senseless with that."

Great job! You looked pretty, dressed sharp, had a nice voice, and seemed nice, smiled a bit.

"Is that Archie?"

"3.5, that's low right?"

"What's Pep 22?"

I understand prompting the conversation for the audience, but isn't the show a comic book show for a comic book audience? It seems like they are trying to do too many different types of shows in one short span.

It pretends to be that, but I suspect the target demographic may be college age to young professional males (18-30). Most folks who watch CBM probably aren't serious collectors. I suspect many are clueless about comic values, but see this show as validating their own worldview of comic fan stereotypes.

While I don't begrudge anyone watching or liking the show, from my POV it mocks the culture, treating comic collecting as a cheap hustle and collectors as unsavory types. It's not like we don't get enough middle aged nerd insinuations from the media and public already. It's great when we can laugh at ourselves, but not so much when the hobby gets spoofed constantly; it really gets old.

I quit watching CBM after a couple of episodes into the first season (the show was the equivalent of having a root canal without anesthesia, or rather my impression of what that would be like). Nevertheless, I did catch this recent episode out of curiosity, since one of our favorite boardies participated. Lo and behold, Baltimore Lauren was fab (she hit one out of the park, IMO).

Her segment was the best part of the show. It was great to see her take the store's stooges down a notch armed with knowledge and a quick wit, but remaining calmly polite. In a sense this was a vindication of sorts, treating the hobby seriously. Who knows, if she were a regular on the show I'd probably tune in for that, provided her on-screen time wasn't selectively edited by the powers that be in television ratings-land in order to make the jerks appear savvier about comic collecting (something I don't see happening in real life).

My 2c ...and then some.

"Is that Archie?"

"3.5, that's low right?"

"What's Pep 22?"

No its not.

Its obvious the show is about Men who work in a comic store and their adventures, not really about comics

"Is that Archie?"

"3.5, that's low right?"

"What's Pep 22?"

It pretends to be that, but I suspect the target demographic may be college age to young professional males (18-30). Most folks who watch CBM probably aren't serious collectors. I suspect many are clueless about comic values, but see this show as validating their own worldview of comic fan stereotypes.

While I don't begrudge anyone watching or liking the show, from my POV it mocks the culture, treating comic collecting as a cheap hustle and collectors as unsavory types. It's not like we don't get enough middle aged nerd insinuations from the media and public already. It's great when we can laugh at ourselves, but not so much when the hobby gets spoofed constantly; it really gets old.

I quit watching CBM after a couple of episodes into the first season (the show was the equivalent of having a root canal without anesthesia, or rather my impression of what that would be like). Nevertheless, I did catch this recent episode out of curiosity, since one of our favorite boardies participated. Lo and behold, Baltimore Lauren was fab (she hit one out of the park, IMO).

Her segment was the best part of the show. It was great to see her take the store's stooges down a notch armed with knowledge and a quick wit, but remaining calmly polite. In a sense this was a vindication of sorts, treating the hobby seriously. Who knows, if she were a regular on the show I'd probably tune in for that, provided her on-screen time wasn't selectively edited by the powers that be in television ratings-land in order to make the jerks appear savvier about comic collecting (something I don't see happening in real life).

My 2c ...and then some.

I stopped watching, too, but if they get regulars that produce a fun segment like the one we got with Lauren, I may selectively watch those segments.