• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

List 5-10 favorite GA comics in your collection & explain why...

334 posts in this topic

It is no secret that Batman #1 always has been, and always will be, my favorite comic book. In my opinion it is the greatest comic book of all time.

I can't tell you how many copies of this comic I've owned over the years, but it has been quite a few. The times when I didn't own one, I pined for one.

A month or so ago a friend approached me about selling him my 8.0 EP copy. I really wasn't interested in selling it, but he really wanted it. His offer kept increasing until I just couldn't refuse, so I sold it.

Now, I was happy with the price, but sad I no longer had a copy. Three days later I walked into a local comic shop and bought some nice golden age from the owner of the store. I mentioned to him how sad I was that I sold my copy of Batman 1, and he was shocked that I had sold it. He asked me if I would be interested in buying his copy as he and I thought he was joking. He wasn't.

Short negotiations later, I walked out with this beautiful 7.0 MP. I think it is one of the nicest looking copies I have owned. The red in the logo is by far the reddest I've ever had. I think the book is undergraded and may resubmit it

The iPhone picture in no way does this book justice

Anyway, here is the love of my comic life :cloud9::luhv:

batman1new_zps8b753888.jpg

Saw that baby up close in Bills bag of gold i could have been dreaming

It is no secret that Batman #1 always has been, and always will be, my favorite comic book. In my opinion it is the greatest comic book of all time.

I can't tell you how many copies of this comic I've owned over the years, but it has been quite a few. The times when I didn't own one, I pined for one.

A month or so ago a friend approached me about selling him my 8.0 EP copy. I really wasn't interested in selling it, but he really wanted it. His offer kept increasing until I just couldn't refuse, so I sold it.

Now, I was happy with the price, but sad I no longer had a copy. Three days later I walked into a local comic shop and bought some nice golden age from the owner of the store. I mentioned to him how sad I was that I sold my copy of Batman 1, and he was shocked that I had sold it. He asked me if I would be interested in buying his copy as he and I thought he was joking. He wasn't.

Short negotiations later, I walked out with this beautiful 7.0 MP. I think it is one of the nicest looking copies I have owned. The red in the logo is by far the reddest I've ever had. I think the book is undergraded and may resubmit it

ponseti-flip-sway.gif

zzz

Actually, I think my last few Batman 1 "flips", as you call them have moved me closer to a copy that I will keep for all time

4.5 EP turned into 8.0 EP turned into 7.0 MP

I like the trend. This one stays with me until I get an SP or a Blue. That's how some of us have to do it. We can't just plunk down the cash and get whatever we want when we want it

But, I'm on my way and really love this copy. So even if I can't move it forward again, this is one nice book

It is off registration a little which I know our mutual geek brother, Parker, will love when he sees it in hand at Nels-con in February :)

ponseti-flip-sway.gif

zzz

Actually, I think my last few Batman 1 "flips", as you call them have moved me closer to a copy that I will keep for all time

4.5 EP turned into 8.0 EP turned into 7.0 MP

I like the trend. This one stays with me until I get an SP or a Blue. That's how some of us have to do it. We can't just plunk down the cash and get whatever we want when we want it

But, I'm on my way and really love this copy. So even if I can't move it forward again, this is one nice book

It is off registration a little which I know our mutual geek brother, Parker, will love when he sees it in hand at Nels-con in February :)

Very pretty! :applause:

worldsfairset_zps2555beb4.jpg

That`s the nicest Worlds Fair that I`ve ever seen! Do you still own it Bill, and what would you grade it?

Thanks Tim. Yes I do still have it. I'd grade it around a 7.0 or so

The thing I like best about that copy of World's Fair is that it doesn't have the sticker. Beautiful book.

I don't remember posting on this thread and if I did, here is another 8 favorites.

I love all of those Batman covers but this one has a motorcycle too. However, I really like the cover of Batman 50.

4809391837_bba5ac09bb_z.jpg2232244630_b3e3e43ebb_z.jpg

I have always been an All Star fan but this one features Solomon Grundy. I purchased it from Captain Blue Hen in Lancaster.

2232222806_f0a0e8db21_z.jpg

I love the Superman tank cover.

Another flea market purchase but probably not a bargain at the time.

2509142358_576466e72f_z.jpg

I found this Duck book at the flea market and got a good deal. It is still a favorite story. I probably like the Uncle Scrooge story in FC 291 a little more but this book was part of a special deal that is a good memory.

2095678550_dcf37271c3_z.jpg

Thanks to Wally (of PA not LA) for this one. Those early Timely comics are difficult to find but they always make the hero look superhuman.

2087449815_f9fe134f5d_z.jpg2088236386_99949df4ce_z.jpg

and this one too. I always wanted a bunch of golden age comics and got most of them all in one purchase.

2231384135_1774c2345c_z.jpg

I don't have a scanner capable of scanning slabs :sorry:

You should start a new thread asking what scanner to buy.

Bought one on eBay yesterday, based on recommendations from Boardies over in the scanner thread in the General forum

It better work, because I'm a superstitious man, and if some unlucky accident should befall my Bat 1, if it should get damaged in the scanning process, or if it should lose color due to the brightness of the lights, or if it is struck by a bolt of lightning, then I'm going to blame some of the people in that forum. And that I do not forgive.

Bought one on eBay yesterday, based on recommendations from Boardies over in the scanner thread in the General forum

It better work, because I'm a superstitious man, and if some unlucky accident should befall my Bat 1, if it should get damaged in the scanning process, or if it should lose color due to the brightness of the lights, or if it is struck by a bolt of lightning, then I'm going to blame some of the people in that forum. And that I do not forgive.

[font:Times New Roman]Congrats! :banana:

BTW, all ya needed to do was ask. I coulda given you the skinny on scanners without the angst. Remember, I was the guy who suggested that a man of your stature should own an Eames Chair.

Oh, wait a minute! I forgot, you didn't take my advice on that. [/font] doh!

As long as you bought a microtec i800 you did fine

i didn't

too rich for my blood :sorry:

i didn't

[font:Times New Roman]Is this the new inexpensive scanner...?[/font] :eek:

silly-putty.jpg

It facinates me that someone who would spend $14,000.00 on a comic book. Would think twice about spending $150.00 on a scanner. Especially someone who is actually "in love" with a comic book or ten.

I see this a lot on this web site. Boggles the mind.

I bought my Microtek i800 on Ebay for about $100.00. Works great and there is no way it could hurt a comic book, that is scanned once on each side.

No way.

It facinates me that someone who would spend $14,000.00 on a comic book. Would think twice about spending $150.00 on a scanner. Especially someone who is actually "in love" with a comic book or ten.

I bought my Microtek i800 on Ebay for about $100.00. Works great and there is no way it could hurt a comic book, that is scanned once on each side.

No way.

I didn't see them that cheap the last time I looked. There were quite a few boardies that recommended another model so i bought that one.

I was only kidding about it hurting a comic book. Just being silly.

i didn't

[font:Times New Roman]Is this the new inexpensive scanner...?[/font] :eek:

silly-putty.jpg

Nope, I got an HP which is a brand I am comfortable with

However, Cat, I did use silly putty when I was a kid to make impressions from comic books. Lots of fun. I think I also cut a few cover corner images out and put them in a viewmaster or something like that

No way.

I didn't see them that cheap the last time I looked. There were quite a few boardies that recommended another model so i bought that one.

the microtec is by far the best for scanning slabs.

No way.

I have never owned a scanner.

No way.

the microtec is by far the best for scanning slabs.

I don't have to have the best, just one that works well.