• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage

347 posts in this topic

I'm surprised, though, to have lost money on that Conan movie poster prelim - it's super tight and super nice - can't believe the market says it's a <$2K piece! I mean, what else that cool can you buy for that price? Can't believe that's not even worth the $2.2K I paid years ago. :facepalm:

Two things probably hurt that piece. I can only assume that it is the finished painting that is currently up for auction in the CLink auction. Also most people who are into Boris are going to be looking for a painted piece and not pen and ink.

I've done the opposite of what you are doing. I have completely moved away from pen and ink and will only buy painted pieces.

Man, took a hit on the two Boris pieces I consigned. I expected to with "Barbarian Woman", as I bought it back when Boris paintings were still hard to find; a few years later, the floodgates opened and Heritage got dozens/hundreds of paintings for sale.

I'm surprised, though, to have lost money on that Conan movie poster prelim - it's super tight and super nice - can't believe the market says it's a <$2K piece! I mean, what else that cool can you buy for that price? Can't believe that's not even worth the $2.2K I paid years ago. :facepalm:

Don`t want to be mean, but anyone who buys Boris deserves to lose money.

Did ya ever notice, right after someone says "Not to be....." whatever they say right after that is incredibly what they wanted "Not to be"??

I was looking at the BWS Iron Man page, I loved the image. I saw a somewhat comparable page (in my head/memory at least) for sale at the last comic art con priced at $7500,which I thought was high. What do those in the know think about the $5K price on this one: high, low, or just right? I decided to save my cash for comic link though, gotta go hard at one page there and try to make a big splash!

Nice page but I didn't expect it to go that high (And I know that $7500 page and agree it is priced too high)

A couple of surprises for me in this auction

Brent Anderson X-Men Annual #5 cover, $44,812.50 with the juice :o

Buscema Conan 89 splash at $11,352.50 (it is nice, but very strong)

Archie 115 cover at $4,780.00 I really liked this one but didn't think it would go this high.

Submariner 25 splash by Sal at $3,465.50. I really wanted this one as I have several other Submariner splashes. I was hoping to pick it up at about $2200 but too rich for me

Fantastic Four #58 panel page, great action so you knew it was going to go high but $50,787.50 :o

Man, took a hit on the two Boris pieces I consigned. I expected to with "Barbarian Woman", as I bought it back when Boris paintings were still hard to find; a few years later, the floodgates opened and Heritage got dozens/hundreds of paintings for sale.

Suck it ! :baiting:

Btw I've sold Boris and Julie work for as much as 8x what I paid (shrug)

Archie 115 cover at $4,780.00 I really liked this one but didn't think it would go this high.

Submariner 25 splash by Sal at $3,465.50. I really wanted this one as I have several other Submariner splashes. I was hoping to pick it up at about $2200 but too rich for me

Fantastic Four #58 panel page, great action so you knew it was going to go high but $50,787.50 :o

Conan 89 Splash was very strong, its got the the big three from that part of the run, but that is cover type money.

Paul smith xmen page is going great guns right now

:screwy:

OK if an xmen fan like you can say it then I don't feel so bad whole heartedly agreeing. lol

I'm just messing with you guys. I bought it. :banana:

That is very cool actually. I was hoping you would. Knowing those 173 pages are together in your collection is awesome.

On another note, for what that X-Men Annual sold for, I'd have much rather had that Jack Davis Tales cover. It was a doozie.

Did ya ever notice, right after someone says "Not to be....." whatever they say right after that is incredibly what they wanted "Not to be"??

Given that Gene`s a good investor and has good taste in art (as evidenced by his Lichtenstein thread where he holds his own against the plebs), I was disappointed to find out that he even owns any Borises. They`re just so cheesy.

I was the winner of the subby splash. Agree a little high but I have 4 or 5 wants left to check before I consider my collection complete and an underwater subby splash was one of them.

BTW i totally get the FF price. The only thing that could have possibly made that page better is if the rest of the team was also present.

Given that Gene`s a good investor and has good taste in art (as evidenced by his Lichtenstein thread where he holds his own against the plebs), I was disappointed to find out that he even owns any Borises. They`re just so cheesy.

Wow, I'm trying to figure out which part of that post is the most ridiculous. Having a hard time.

A- Gene Hero Worship

B- Proof that liking Lichtenstein is a sign of good taste

C- Calling those that don't like that hack human mimeograph machine "plebs"

D- Your hero has feet of clay because he owns Boris art

For the record I don't own any Boris art. I do remember that the very first fantasy piece I saw as a kid that captured my imagination was a Boris piece. In PathMark there would be a poster rack and I'd kill time there while my parents were shopping. The image of the dragon tattoo coming to life and biting the arm shocked me and I thought it was terrific.

http://inkarttattoos.com/tattoo-blog/tattoo-by-boris-vallejo/

The next week I saw the Death Dealer (Molly Hatchet pose) poster and life was never the same. I'm not saying Boris's work is fine art. It is good technically and if bought for the right price there's no reason anyone should be ashamed to own it.

Did you get the Silver Surfer 7 page 30 Gene? That was a really nice page and I think well bought at that price. Congrats.

Thanks, Scott! I figured that, at this price, it would do nicely to fill the JB SS hole in my collection...at least until a great example like your own SS #7 page becomes available, that is! (thumbs u

Just a few thoughts.

(1) Regarding the Conan #4 cover, I would have pegged FMV closer to $75K, but, given that this was the fresh, standout piece of art in the sale, I'm not surprised it did better than that.

(2) On the FF #58 page, all the pre-sale chatter I heard was between $40 and $60K, so $50K to me was right at consensus. A strong price, but not necessarily surprising to me.

(3) Boris for me is a nostalgia thing. I discovered Boris' painted paperback covers right about the time I discovered those old REH Conan paperbacks with the Frazetta covers - both about a year or two before I discovered comics. Also, a friend of mine got me Boris and his (ex-)wife's age-inappropriate, steamy book "Enchantment" as a gag gift for Christmas in 1984 (I own the cover to that book now), so that left a mark on my impressionable young mind back then as well. In any case, I think Boris did some very cool work back in the day. Cheesy? Yeah, probably, though the same could be said for most art from the genre.

(4) Dan, yes, Boris' work was once difficult to find (at least the better vintage 1982 and earlier material). At some point, though, Heritage came into possession (or a group did and consigned it to Heritage) of a trove of dozens or maybe even hundreds of Boris paintings which came pouring out onto the market starting probably around 2005 or 2006 (don't quote me on that; I might be off by a little) over many years. A lot of other paintings, for whatever reasons, also came onto the market from other collectors as well.

(5) I love Lichtenstein's work and am an admirer of a lot of Modern/Contemporary art in general. Yes, the M/C art market is deranged, yes, the art world is full of pompous blowhards, but, no, that doesn't make the art itself any less worthy. Free your mind and the rest will follow...

(6) Believe me, there was not a shred of any actual "hero worship" in Tim's post, though maybe you have to know him well to realize that. He was just laying down some soothing platitudes before tearing into the Boris fans and anti-Lichtenstein crowd here, like a velvet glove cast in iron! The prospect of a curmudgeonly throw-down between Ruben and Tim is kind of fascinating, though. :popcorn:

I was the winner of the subby splash. Agree a little high but I have 4 or 5 wants left to check before I consider my collection complete and an underwater subby splash was one of them.

BTW i totally get the FF price. The only thing that could have possibly made that page better is if the rest of the team was also present.

Congrats on the Submariner splash ! It is a very nice piece. (thumbs u