• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage

347 posts in this topic

I know I am just small time, but man does it feel weird (ie. ridiculous) paying over a grand in Buyer's Premium's. I don't know how you high rollers do it without it feeling somehow... "wrong". Most of my purchases are private, or ebay, or even C-Link... I've won on Heritage before, but never more than 1 or 2K final bid... which is my BP alone this auction. Crazy.

I just factor the BP into the calculation of what I`m willing to pay, so BP has never caused me to pay a dime over what I was willing to pay.

I do the same. However, ever since Heritge decided to open a NY hub I don't really look at their auctions too closely. I have no interest in paying almost an additional 10% thanks to NYS tax.

I do the same. However, ever since Heritge decided to open a NY hub I don't really look at their auctions too closely. I have no interest in paying almost an additional 10% thanks to NYS tax.

Get it shipped to a buddy in another State. For some items, it's well worth it.

Malvin

Man, took a hit on the two Boris pieces I consigned. I expected to with "Barbarian Woman", as I bought it back when Boris paintings were still hard to find; a few years later, the floodgates opened and Heritage got dozens/hundreds of paintings for sale.

I'm surprised, though, to have lost money on that Conan movie poster prelim - it's super tight and super nice - can't believe the market says it's a <$2K piece! I mean, what else that cool can you buy for that price? Can't believe that's not even worth the $2.2K I paid years ago. :facepalm:

Don`t want to be mean, but anyone who buys Boris deserves to lose money.

Did ya ever notice, right after someone says "Not to be....." whatever they say right after that is incredibly what they wanted "Not to be"??

Given that Gene`s a good investor and has good taste in art (as evidenced by his Lichtenstein thread where he holds his own against the plebs), I was disappointed to find out that he even owns any Borises. They`re just so cheesy.

Boris is cheesy???? Compared to what? This is a Comic Book art board where the vast majority of art that is discussed and coveted is chock full of cheese. Cheesy-ness is not the hill I would want to defend in this debate! :insane:

Scott

For once I disagree with the esteemed Williams. Yes, the whole field is cheese-ville relative to some other fields, but we therefore adjust the bar downward so we can discuss the cheesiness of Boris relative to Frazetta, say, or Jeff Jones. Exact same content, but where the latter paint it like artists, Boris paints it like a fetishist. He finds every cheesy choice in rendering and takes them all, in every painting. He has no sense of mystery, savagery or real sensuality. He is purely masturbatory (the drawings are not as bad).

:applause:

For the record, I think that Boris is a very technically skilled painter.

But that`s another reason I look down on him, because he`s chosen to waste his talent.

Agreed. By the way, does anyone know what happened to Saddam Hussein's collection of Boris paintings?

You guys are being so overly harsh. I don't hear any of you writing off everything Wally wood ever did simply because he did some crappy work at one point. Boris' work has been sometimes very good , sometimes very bad over the course of his career. That doesn't mean we need to paint it all with the same brush. (zing). Do you write off Wally wood's EC work because cannon was bad? Yeah blah blah Wally was a different case with the alcoholism but its the same basic facts. Some good work and some not so good work. Boris worst work was in the period when his marriage broke up. Is that so surprising? I would bet that's true for a lot of people.

Look, I used to have the same opinion as you guys. It's easy to look at some of the cheesy works and write him off completely, and I did so myself. but he and julie did a few pieces where i liked the place of publication and that led to me owning a few and getting a greater understanding of their work, and seeing that they can look very nice in person. Point is, there are some fromagey ones but there are also a great many wonderful works that you have to give the man (and woman) credit for. Ill post some that I like personally a little later. To me the best and worst thing that ever happened to him was the frazetta comparisons. The best because it got his name out there and the worst because its not a comparison he can ever "win."

What can I say? Seems like Boris fans are in a minority here on these boards. I like Boris's work! Onto something else, does anyone know what the Byrne She Hulk splash ended at? It was up to $8,500 last time I looked yesterday, which, I thought was a crazy price. No offence if someone here purchased it...

What can I say? Seems like Boris fans are in a minority here on these boards. I like Boris's work! Onto something else, does anyone know what the Byrne She Hulk splash ended at? It was up to $8,500 last time I looked yesterday, which, I thought was a crazy price. No offence if someone here purchased it...
$10157.50. Seems really high to me too.

But I can understand the purchase. I have a similar goal. I want a She Hulk example from Byrne myself. And that's a pretty nice splash. I think there was a cover or two earlier in the year that interested me more.

Comiclink starting to add stuff to February already. A couple of nice Perez Teen Titans covers. (thumbs u

I won one of the auctions. I thought the process was pretty efficient. I've bought from Profiles before, but, this was my first time participating in a HA. Does this really affect the respective pieces value? If it's possible that some people overpaid, couldn't there be deals to be had with some underpaying? I think I got a smoking deal on my cover.

I actually had the opposite happen. I wasn't done bidding on a piece and i was hitting the bid button and all of a sudden, the auction ended... And I wasn't hesitating on the bidding. And so I didn't get it and was willing to bid higher.

Exactly this happened to me. What a poorly run auction. I'd been eying my lot since it went up online, to...

This has happened to me as well....more than once

I won my first item in a signature auction. Wasn't an item I was actively tracking but fits my current emphasis and went for a good price. First time I tried live online bidding and really liked it.

I was thinking about trying for more stuff in tonight's Internet auction just to take advantage on shipping but then I got my invoice today and it said they were shipping it ahead of payment. Is that common?

Was anyone else shocked by the near $5k Scarlett pin-up from GI Joe #1? I, and several other GI Joe art collectors felt that was not only strong, but downright mind boggling.

Nice image but yeah I found it surprising

You guys are being so overly harsh. I don't hear any of you writing off everything Wally wood ever did simply because he did some crappy work at one point. Boris' work has been sometimes very good , sometimes very bad over the course of his career. That doesn't mean we need to paint it all with the same brush. (zing). Do you write off Wally wood's EC work because cannon was bad? Yeah blah blah Wally was a different case with the alcoholism but its the same basic facts. Some good work and some not so good work. Boris worst work was in the period when his marriage broke up. Is that so surprising? I would bet that's true for a lot of people.

Look, I used to have the same opinion as you guys. It's easy to look at some of the cheesy works and write him off completely, and I did so myself. but he and julie did a few pieces where i liked the place of publication and that led to me owning a few and getting a greater understanding of their work, and seeing that they can look very nice in person. Point is, there are some fromagey ones but there are also a great many wonderful works that you have to give the man (and woman) credit for. Ill post some that I like personally a little later. To me the best and worst thing that ever happened to him was the frazetta comparisons. The best because it got his name out there and the worst because its not a comparison he can ever "win."

OK so here are a few boris/julie pieces that I really like (you really do have to consider the two of them together IMO as they work on each other's projects from time to time. For example I have one piece that was published with a Boris signature where the original has a Julie signature. I own enough from a certain specific time period that I think I can tell when there is more boris less julie or vice versa but it is a guessing game. (Yes I could just as easily point to five I don't like but that's my whole point... the view of some of those posting here is unbalanced with respect to their work).

European Vacation poster art. Fondly remember this classic movie, and when I saw the movie poster years later I thought it perfectly captured the spirit of the movie. And it shows that he is perfectly capable of doing work that has a sense of humour.

aXrI2rbLX3AiAYA7Lak4nhRfriC.jpg

In the same vein, this "Seinfeld Wars" piece always cracked me up

seinfeld-wars1.jpg

Here's a random piece from 2008 or so that I like well enough and that is a pretty impressive painting for someone who started in the 60s.... to compare, most comic artists are not putting out quality work *forty* years after their career starts. To be kind.

http://www.imaginistix.com/details.cfm?Id=1154

What I consider to be a beautiful piece from '03:

02cd427e-b63d-4c20-a388-ab4cdeee2448.jpg

Nice straight ahead painting of the star trek cast, 94

http://www.imaginistix.com/details.cfm?Id=362

Not sure when or what this Boris is, but I really like it:

65939.jpg

For a little variety, wildlife: http://www.imaginistix.com/details.cfm?Id=1149

Yeah all their characters are shredded and sometimes it seems a bit odd. But considering this is what Julie used to look like I think you can forgive them for it. It was obviously part of their lifestyle:

Julie-Bell-Bodybuilder-1.jpg

Julie-Bell-Bodybuilder-2.jpg

Anyways, I just wanted to present some balance. Its totally out to lunch IMO to consider all their work to be cheesy crepe. Some of it is very very good. And some is/was cheesy. But have a balanced POV. rantrant

And that goes both ways - don't tell me everything John Romita or Steve Ditko or Wally Wood or whomever else ever touched was gold :eyeroll: (Tower Comics, anyone?).

Shane - Doesn't surprise me a bit. The early Trimpe Joe pages are nearly impossible to find and when they do sell (usually privately), they will typically sell for the high hundreds to the thousands of dollars. I think there are many that think that early Joe pages only go for a couple hundred bucks... those days are long gone.

I think the last #1 page that sold in auction went for close to $1k a few years ago, but that was only a partial page (some of the panels were cut out). So, $5k for the best pin-up in the book isn't too far off.

I'll start the controversy by saying that G.I. Joe #1 is the X-Men Giant-Size #1 for Joe collectors (and #2 is the X-Men #94 the Joe world). As long as Joe is still popular, look for these pages to continue to be the grail of Joe collectors.

Was anyone else shocked by the near $5k Scarlett pin-up from GI Joe #1? I, and several other GI Joe art collectors felt that was not only strong, but downright mind boggling.

I'm not too surprised. There are a LOT of GI Joe collectors out there and for many of them, a page from GI Joe #1 represents a grail opportunity. There are only so many pages of GI Joe #1 to be had.

I'm not too surprised. There are a LOT of GI Joe collectors out there and for many of them, a page from GI Joe #1 represents a grail opportunity. There are only so many pages of GI Joe #1 to be had.

Count me in with Shane - that's a really nice pin-up, but $5K just sounds like 2 zealous bidders (one of them probably named Chuck, the other maybe named West :baiting:) took it to the limit. My guess is if you took one of the bidders (whoever they were) out of the equation, that page would hit an air pocket and sell much lower. 2c

European Vacation poster art. Fondly remember this classic movie, and when I saw the movie poster years later I thought it perfectly captured the spirit of the movie. And it shows that he is perfectly capable of doing work that has a sense of humour.

seinfeld-wars1.jpg

These two pieces work because they`re SUPPOSED to be cheesey! :makepoint:

Certainly the European Vacation poster is a very good parody of fantasy art, lampooning Boris` own style, as it were. I`ve never seen the Star Wars painting before, but obviously it works by being a good parody too.

Here's one of my favorite Boris paintings - the Savage Sword of Conan #7 cover. I'm still a fan of his earlier work, much of which is quite good. Not sure that I feel the need to collect it anymore, but I still appreciate it:

630007boris_vallejo_conan_02.jpg

seinfeld-wars1.jpg

These two pieces work because they`re SUPPOSED to be cheesey! :makepoint:

Certainly the European Vacation poster is a very good parody of fantasy art, lampooning Boris` own style, as it were. I`ve never seen the Star Wars painting before, but obviously it works by being a good parody too.

and the other pieces? Or the other 50 good ones (or 50 bad ones) I could have posted?