• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage

347 posts in this topic

Shane - Doesn't surprise me a bit. The early Trimpe Joe pages are nearly impossible to find and when they do sell (usually privately), they will typically sell for the high hundreds to the thousands of dollars. I think there are many that think that early Joe pages only go for a couple hundred bucks... those days are long gone.

I think the last #1 page that sold in auction went for close to $1k a few years ago, but that was only a partial page (some of the panels were cut out). So, $5k for the best pin-up in the book isn't too far off.

I'll start the controversy by saying that G.I. Joe #1 is the X-Men Giant-Size #1 for Joe collectors (and #2 is the X-Men #94 the Joe world). As long as Joe is still popular, look for these pages to continue to be the grail of Joe collectors.

I definitely agree that pages from that book represent some of the pinnacle pages one can hope to acquire from the run (also from 2, 26 and 27) but having been an "advisor" to and privy to a LOT of the private deals that have happened over the past couple of years from the sale of one of the top tier GI Joe art collections out there, i was still gob smacked. Like Gene said, i think a couple of people just got hot for it - we'll see if it brings out a few more pages from #1 for sale.

I still remember when virtually all of the pin up pages from #1 (published and unpublished) turned up and at this point, am pretty glad i have the page that i do, even if it's unpublished!

How has no one mentioned this one? This is the #1 head-scratcher from this auction IMHO. 2 people must have really had the nostalgic bug for this one.

Mike Grell Karate Kid #1 Cover Original Art (DC, 1976)....

2013 November 21 - 23 Comics Signature Auction - Beverly Hills #7084

Sold for: $10,157.50 (includes BP Buyer's Premium)

How has no one mentioned this one? This is the #1 head-scratcher from this auction IMHO. 2 people must have really had the nostalgic bug for this one.

Had it been Chuck Norris #1 I could see that number.....because it's Chuck Norris.

Wow yes that's a steep one!

Sounds like a hardcore Legion fan bidding war.

Wow yes that's a steep one!

Man!!

The winning bidder totally swept the leg on the under-bidder!!

sweep-the-leg-o.gif

You guys are being so overly harsh. I don't hear any of you writing off everything Wally wood ever did simply because he did some crappy work at one point. Boris' work has been sometimes very good , sometimes very bad over the course of his career. That doesn't mean we need to paint it all with the same brush. (zing). Do you write off Wally wood's EC work because cannon was bad? Yeah blah blah Wally was a different case with the alcoholism but its the same basic facts. Some good work and some not so good work. Boris worst work was in the period when his marriage broke up. Is that so surprising? I would bet that's true for a lot of people.

Look, I used to have the same opinion as you guys. It's easy to look at some of the cheesy works and write him off completely, and I did so myself. but he and julie did a few pieces where i liked the place of publication and that led to me owning a few and getting a greater understanding of their work, and seeing that they can look very nice in person. Point is, there are some fromagey ones but there are also a great many wonderful works that you have to give the man (and woman) credit for. Ill post some that I like personally a little later. To me the best and worst thing that ever happened to him was the frazetta comparisons. The best because it got his name out there and the worst because its not a comparison he can ever "win."

Bronty I'm afraid you've misunderstood my argument. I'm not writing off Boris because SOME of his work is cheesy, its because ALL of it is. With Wally Wood I write off the cheesy work and enjoy the good work. Simple! As to your examples, they are all horrible. Yes, if you are NatLamp and you need a parody of cheesy fantasy art, Boris is your man. No one is going to mock the form any better than he can just by painting normally. Cheers!

Sorry to ask a Vallejo noob question, but are you grouping Boris and Julie together for all purposes and treating them as a single artist? If not, and the discussion is of Boris, how do you know to attribute to him the pieces that only have Juile's signature? Truly curious. Thanks.

Here's one of my favorite Boris paintings - the Savage Sword of Conan #7 cover. I'm still a fan of his earlier work, much of which is quite good. Not sure that I feel the need to collect it anymore, but I still appreciate it:

630007boris_vallejo_conan_02.jpg

Ditto, that piece just rocks (worship)

I personally like a number of Boris pieces from the late 60s-90s. Part of it may be childhood nostalgia remembering his 70s-80s paperback covers. And some of those I would say were pointedly "cheesy" (in an entertaining way) and also reflected the scenes or themes in the book themselves (like the Gor series books--some cool "cheesy" covers notwithstanding the books' misogynistic subject matter). I also liked a number of the pieces he (and Julie) did for Marvel Masterpieces (and I own two of them).

I therefore don't agree that one should dismiss his works outright and say ALL his paintings are "cheesy" in a negative way (even if one believes he could have reached greater heights if he were a better technical painter or didn't have other flaws).

Some over zealous martial arts guy/collector? That's, uh, aggressive...

Must be someone who is really into the movie - it does have a big cult following now. I still found it shocking, but then forman thought it was low and I'd guess he's much more in tune with that market than me.

You guys are being so overly harsh. I don't hear any of you writing off everything Wally wood ever did simply because he did some crappy work at one point. Boris' work has been sometimes very good , sometimes very bad over the course of his career. That doesn't mean we need to paint it all with the same brush. (zing). Do you write off Wally wood's EC work because cannon was bad? Yeah blah blah Wally was a different case with the alcoholism but its the same basic facts. Some good work and some not so good work. Boris worst work was in the period when his marriage broke up. Is that so surprising? I would bet that's true for a lot of people.

Look, I used to have the same opinion as you guys. It's easy to look at some of the cheesy works and write him off completely, and I did so myself. but he and julie did a few pieces where i liked the place of publication and that led to me owning a few and getting a greater understanding of their work, and seeing that they can look very nice in person. Point is, there are some fromagey ones but there are also a great many wonderful works that you have to give the man (and woman) credit for. Ill post some that I like personally a little later. To me the best and worst thing that ever happened to him was the frazetta comparisons. The best because it got his name out there and the worst because its not a comparison he can ever "win."

Bronty I'm afraid you've misunderstood my argument. I'm not writing off Boris because SOME of his work is cheesy, its because ALL of it is. With Wally Wood I write off the cheesy work and enjoy the good work. Simple! As to your examples, they are all horrible. Yes, if you are NatLamp and you need a parody of cheesy fantasy art, Boris is your man. No one is going to mock the form any better than he can just by painting normally. Cheers!

Didn't see this until now.

Well I just don't agree, and I do think place of publication is a factor.

You probably look at this and groan. A dolphin frolicking while chased by a shark and another dolphin high on life and anti depressants following behind the shark. :ohnoez: I see something totally different - the cover to cult classic videogame from the early 90s.

The game was about dolphins chased by sharks... so WTF was he supposed to illustrate, the moon landing? Its a nicely executed job that illustrated what it needed to, just like most every comic book cover ever made - an image that, stand alone, is cheese but makes sense in context. There's at least some of that going on with his images. Its not true in all cases of course. All I'm saying is he's not above criticism, but cut the guy some slack. There is nice work (and not so great work) in his oeuvre. If this piece is so terrible, then please, by all means enlighten me as to how YOU would have illustrated the cover to a game about a bleeping dolphin. :hi:

borisvallejoeccorh7.jpg

Ecco-cover.jpg