• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage

347 posts in this topic

Peak FF would be when Sinnott started, to around maybe the early 80's. I think most collectors agree with the start date, the end date varies.

I would generally agree (though not every collector would). Also, I think Sinnott's role is huge, but not total. It just so happens that Sinnott started at about the time that Kirby (and Lee) created characters and story lines that had reverberations for decades. Also, Stone's quality was beginning to diminish about the time Sinnott came on board. And Kirby's art style continued to evolve during those years, becoming more dynamic and stylized. Finally, most of those peak years were large art, which makes a difference.

Scott

Gene I trust you don't mind me asking these questions.... just trying to wrap my mind around the market for the piece. It's easy to guess what a Kirby ff panel might be worth, this sort of thing takes more thought.

No problem here; I'm curious as well. I'm also going to say that I was wrong - there certainly does appear to be value left in the market - you just have to have tastes that are different from what everybody else wants! If you collect Ditko ASM and twice-up Kirby/Sinnott pages, you're bemoaning the high cost of living these days, but, if you like vampires, barbarians (as long as it's not Marvel-published Conan), dinosaurs, war, westerns, horror, etc. art, you're loving life!

I was more implying that the timing of the Conan painting being offered at nearly the same time as the pen and ink piece may have had some people pass and go after the painting since that is what Boris is better known for.

Yeah, good luck to anyone who wants to go for that. It's a good candidate for Reserve Not Met I think, knowing what the consignor has wanted for it in the past.

Man, took a hit on the two Boris pieces I consigned. I expected to with "Barbarian Woman", as I bought it back when Boris paintings were still hard to find; a few years later, the floodgates opened and Heritage got dozens/hundreds of paintings for sale.

I'm surprised, though, to have lost money on that Conan movie poster prelim - it's super tight and super nice - can't believe the market says it's a <$2K piece! I mean, what else that cool can you buy for that price? Can't believe that's not even worth the $2.2K I paid years ago. :facepalm:

Don`t want to be mean, but anyone who buys Boris deserves to lose money.

Did ya ever notice, right after someone says "Not to be....." whatever they say right after that is incredibly what they wanted "Not to be"??

Given that Gene`s a good investor and has good taste in art (as evidenced by his Lichtenstein thread where he holds his own against the plebs), I was disappointed to find out that he even owns any Borises. They`re just so cheesy.

Boris is cheesy???? Compared to what? This is a Comic Book art board where the vast majority of art that is discussed and coveted is chock full of cheese. Cheesy-ness is not the hill I would want to defend in this debate! :insane:

Scott

Have to agree with Scott. While I don't own a single Boris, I would like pick up a painting someday in the future. I don't care if it's cheesy, his name is one of the biggest in the fantasy genre and many of us grew up having seen (and probably enjoying) Boris' work until we got older and decided it wasn't cool anymore.

Peak FF would be when Sinnott started, to around maybe the early 80's. I think most collectors agree with the start date, the end date varies.

I would generally agree (though not every collector would). Also, I think Sinnott's role is huge, but not total. It just so happens that Sinnott started at about the time that Kirby (and Lee) created characters and story lines that had reverberations for decades. Also, Stone's quality was beginning to diminish about the time Sinnott came on board. And Kirby's art style continued to evolve during those years, becoming more dynamic and stylized. Finally, most of those peak years were large art, which makes a difference.

Scott

Excellent follow ups to my question. Thanks to you both for elaborating. (thumbs u

Mitch,

In your experience what's the range for that sort of material ? Is there price resistance above a certain point, generally speaking ? I assume the movie title is probably even more important than the artist?

Lastly I assume that publication while not necessary definitely helps? What would your estimate have been on this Conan piece ?

"

Gene I trust you don't mind me asking these questions.... just trying to wrap my mind around the market for the piece. It's easy to guess what a Kirby ff panel might be worth, this sort of thing takes more thought.

I thought that was a good price for a poster comp. it's Boris and it's Conan. Not all poster artists did color comps. The movie title is not always important. In a lot of cases, the poster was better than the movie. If it's a classic movie that certainly ups the cache of the painting, and if you have an Amsel or a McCarthy painting the poster, it drives the price up more. I've sold movie poster paintings simply because of the image, or the genre (horror, exploitation, etc.)

I've also seen crappy poster paintings well for good money cause of the image. Sometimes there is no reasoning behind the sale.

For a lot of the newer poster art collectors, there is a certain level of price they won't go above. Other collectors have no problem paying the price.

Publication of the art does matter. I have many unused paintings for the final one sheets. If they were used, I can sell them for more, but the stigma is, unpublished means less money.

I have to say, I like Gene's prelim more than I like the painting on comiclink. A reasonable price for the painting would be $5000

And if anyone is interested, I have the Boris painting for the movie poster "Warrior Queen" for sale.

MI

Man, took a hit on the two Boris pieces I consigned. I expected to with "Barbarian Woman", as I bought it back when Boris paintings were still hard to find; a few years later, the floodgates opened and Heritage got dozens/hundreds of paintings for sale.

I'm surprised, though, to have lost money on that Conan movie poster prelim - it's super tight and super nice - can't believe the market says it's a <$2K piece! I mean, what else that cool can you buy for that price? Can't believe that's not even worth the $2.2K I paid years ago. :facepalm:

Did ya ever notice, right after someone says "Not to be....." whatever they say right after that is incredibly what they wanted "Not to be"??

Given that Gene`s a good investor and has good taste in art (as evidenced by his Lichtenstein thread where he holds his own against the plebs), I was disappointed to find out that he even owns any Borises. They`re just so cheesy.

Boris is cheesy???? Compared to what? This is a Comic Book art board where the vast majority of art that is discussed and coveted is chock full of cheese. Cheesy-ness is not the hill I would want to defend in this debate! :insane:

Scott

Have to agree with Scott. While I don't own a single Boris, I would like pick up a painting someday in the future. I don't care if it's cheesy, his name is one of the biggest in the fantasy genre and many of us grew up having seen (and probably enjoying) Boris' work until we got older and decided it wasn't cool anymore.

Good points.

As an aside, I think some of Boris and Julie's best work is in the last ten years. The late 80s early 90s material does have its cheese (and usually shirtless cheese at that ) but before and after there's been good work

The Archie 115 was almost cheap in my view. Hard to get a better Archie cover than that.

I would have bought the Archie cover but I didn't care for the inordinate 'bleaching' done to the cover. At least that's the way the pic looked. Nice image though...

Scott

:applause:

ok folks, I can't be the first person this happened to.

I was watching the live auctions, then it went to a piece I was interested in, I go hit bid, and as I was hitting, the dreaded ding happened and it went back to the previous piece bc they got a late bid. so my bid ended up for the wrong piece and I won! it's 2k too!

I was so flustered that I didn't win that next piece (and it went for a reasonable price under 1k too). Good thing there were others like it and I won something else.

Think HA will let me "retract" my winning bid if I call them on Monday?

Malvin

Hmm. Same thing almost happened to me, Malvin. Only I didn't end up winning anything. It was as if it wanted to bid when I hit the button, then the lot ended abruptly. And I lost what I really wanted, and it went for a GREAT price. Ug....

P.S. I think this is why I liked the woman better. She took time at the end of each one to make sure it was over. The guy just plowed through. Good for speed, but not for accuracy for us bidders.

Scott

For once I disagree with the esteemed Williams. Yes, the whole field is cheese-ville relative to some other fields, but we therefore adjust the bar downward so we can discuss the cheesiness of Boris relative to Frazetta, say, or Jeff Jones. Exact same content, but where the latter paint it like artists, Boris paints it like a fetishist. He finds every cheesy choice in rendering and takes them all, in every painting. He has no sense of mystery, savagery or real sensuality. He is purely masturbatory (the drawings are not as bad).

Man that sucks Malvin. I wish you the best on that. I actually had the opposite happen. I wasn't done bidding on a piece and i was hitting the bid button and all of a sudden, the auction ended... And I wasn't hesitating on the bidding. And so I didn't get it and was willing to bid higher.

Was a strange auction for me. Won a couple pieces... and now I have to pay for them, but at least they were pages I actually MEANT to win. Your predicament in a weird one. Keep us posted.

I actually had the opposite happen. I wasn't done bidding on a piece and i was hitting the bid button and all of a sudden, the auction ended... And I wasn't hesitating on the bidding. And so I didn't get it and was willing to bid higher.

Exactly this happened to me. What a poorly run auction. I'd been eying my lot since it went up online, to...

On another note, for what that X-Men Annual sold for, I'd have much rather had that Jack Davis Tales cover. It was a doozie.

The X-MEN cover is great, but I agree about the Davis...a personal favorite of mine.

Congrats to all winners!

Man that sucks Malvin. I wish you the best on that. I actually had the opposite happen. I wasn't done bidding on a piece and i was hitting the bid button and all of a sudden, the auction ended... And I wasn't hesitating on the bidding. And so I didn't get it and was willing to bid higher.

Was a strange auction for me. Won a couple pieces... and now I have to pay for them, but at least they were pages I actually MEANT to win. Your predicament in a weird one. Keep us posted.

yeah thanks, I hope they are reasonable. That's probably why they have that ding when a finished piece comes back. I hope this experience doesn't traumatize me and whenever I hear that ding I would freeze :)

Malvin

That looks more like a REALLY FAST flip to me. Probably thought it went cheap for a Brereton cover... which, if it were a hero cover, they might be right... but that one. With a starting bid of $200 more than the final price, I don't think they are simply trying to recoup.

I know I am just small time, but man does it feel weird (ie. ridiculous) paying over a grand in Buyer's Premium's. I don't know how you high rollers do it without it feeling somehow... "wrong". Most of my purchases are private, or ebay, or even C-Link... I've won on Heritage before, but never more than 1 or 2K final bid... which is my BP alone this auction. Crazy. Those Heritage folk do okay I suppose. Especially since there is also a Seller's premium!?!? So basically, 30-40% of their sales!?!?! I am in the wrong business.

Scott

For once I disagree with the esteemed Williams. Yes, the whole field is cheese-ville relative to some other fields, but we therefore adjust the bar downward so we can discuss the cheesiness of Boris relative to Frazetta, say, or Jeff Jones. Exact same content, but where the latter paint it like artists, Boris paints it like a fetishist. He finds every cheesy choice in rendering and takes them all, in every painting. He has no sense of mystery, savagery or real sensuality. He is purely masturbatory (the drawings are not as bad).

:applause:

For the record, I think that Boris is a very technically skilled painter.

But that`s another reason I look down on him, because he`s chosen to waste his talent.

I know I am just small time, but man does it feel weird (ie. ridiculous) paying over a grand in Buyer's Premium's. I don't know how you high rollers do it without it feeling somehow... "wrong". Most of my purchases are private, or ebay, or even C-Link... I've won on Heritage before, but never more than 1 or 2K final bid... which is my BP alone this auction. Crazy.

I just factor the BP into the calculation of what I`m willing to pay, so BP has never caused me to pay a dime over what I was willing to pay.