• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,915 posts in this topic

On 12/31/2023 at 8:02 PM, Tubthumper82 said:

Hey all,

I am somewhat new to the forum.  I used to collect comics in the early 90’s (In the Image era).  My kids liked the x-men cartoon and started getting into comics so here I am.  I have a random spot in our house that does not get any direct light, so have been hanging up comics.  Been slowly buying/trading comics for about 6 months.  My favorite that I have gotten for the daughters is a cgc 9.8 Bloodstone 1.  

Glad to hear of generations in collecting! Keep up traditions! Welcome aboard. :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/31/2023 at 9:02 PM, Tubthumper82 said:

Hey all,

I am somewhat new to the forum.  I used to collect comics in the early 90’s (In the Image era).  My kids liked the x-men cartoon and started getting into comics so here I am.  I have a random spot in our house that does not get any direct light, so have been hanging up comics.  Been slowly buying/trading comics for about 6 months.  My favorite that I have gotten for the daughters is a cgc 9.8 Bloodstone 1.  

Welcome to the boards !

-bc

On 1/20/2024 at 10:22 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Hey guys I've been a member for awhile and have interacted with a couple of members here and bought some books but never formally introduced myself. Been collecting since the early 80's ever since my stepfather introduced me to comics shortly after marrying my mom. Never took a break from collecting except for a couple of years in the 90's when I was a broke college student. Currently looking to distil my collection of over 17,000 comics down to specific keys and runs. Glad to be among like minded collectors.

Welcome!!! 👍🙂

On 1/21/2024 at 12:22 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

Hey guys I've been a member for awhile and have interacted with a couple of members here and bought some books but never formally introduced myself. Been collecting since the early 80's ever since my stepfather introduced me to comics shortly after marrying my mom. Never took a break from collecting except for a couple of years in the 90's when I was a broke college student. Currently looking to distil my collection of over 17,000 comics down to specific keys and runs. Glad to be among like minded collectors.

Welcome to the boards!

-bc

On 1/20/2024 at 11:22 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Welcome. :x I'm glad you enjoyed while you did, but ya that is a lot! Hope it comes easy with offloading a few :) 

On 1/21/2024 at 3:55 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Thanks... I'm in no rush to offload my comics and probably wouldn't even bother if I wasn't running out of space. I LOVE comics :nyah: 

Amen! Good to hear, is it all runs? Or is it keys first and new comics as you heard of good reads?

Probably a mix there of, but good to hear that you're making room, if runs I thought maybe you could donate them if that's still a thing. Might do some.good rather than tpb, but time is.money sometimes. :)

On 1/21/2024 at 4:55 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Thanks... I'm in no rush to offload my comics and probably wouldn't even bother if I wasn't running out of space. I LOVE comics :nyah: 

Comic take up a lot of room, an they are heavy too 

Gahh, fine! I'll do the thing. What's up all! Just getting back into the hobby after many years. I mainly collect things I've read in the past, and comics with cover art I like. Nothing crazy.

I always return my shopping cart when I'm done with it as well.

On 2/13/2024 at 9:33 AM, MikeChops said:

Gahh, fine! I'll do the thing. What's up all! Just getting back into the hobby after many years. I mainly collect things I've read in the past, and comics with cover art I like. Nothing crazy.

I always return my shopping cart when I'm done with it as well.

:whee: 

Hi collectors, I've been a member here for some time but never properly introduced myself.  After seeing the cover to X-Men 115, I started collecting in '79.  It was all Marvel (DD, FF, AS, Hulk) and a few Independants (the Elementals, Badger) into the 80s.  I stopped collecting in '92 as life kinda took over.  I moved out West in 2005 and of course trudged along my boxes.  When my wife and I both lost our jobs in '09, I turned to my comics; hoping that maybe they could help financially.  I got reacquainted with comics only to discover this company called CGC.  I submitted runs of X-Men, Spidey and some others in hopes they'd grade in the VF to NM range.  Only one book came back under a 9.0, (X-Men 101).  Needless to say it was a huge life-saver!  But the best part of the entire experience was discovering an artist who would turn out to be my favorite, Neal Adams.  Up until that point I'd never read a single issue of Batman, TEC or B&B during his spectacular run.  Man, if his work doesn't stir the kid in you, nothing will. Thankfully, I had the pleasure of meeting him.  Sorry to be long winded but happy to be here.  

On 2/18/2024 at 9:50 AM, Comic-Fan said:

Hi collectors, I've been a member here for some time but never properly introduced myself.  After seeing the cover to X-Men 115, I started collecting in '79.  It was all Marvel (DD, FF, AS, Hulk) and a few Independants (the Elementals, Badger) into the 80s.  I stopped collecting in '92 as life kinda took over.  I moved out West in 2005 and of course trudged along my boxes.  When my wife and I both lost our jobs in '09, I turned to my comics; hoping that maybe they could help financially.  I got reacquainted with comics only to discover this company called CGC.  I submitted runs of X-Men, Spidey and some others in hopes they'd grade in the VF to NM range.  Only one book came back under a 9.0, (X-Men 101).  Needless to say it was a huge life-saver!  But the best part of the entire experience was discovering an artist who would turn out to be my favorite, Neal Adams.  Up until that point I'd never read a single issue of Batman, TEC or B&B during his spectacular run.  Man, if his work doesn't stir the kid in you, nothing will. Thankfully, I had the pleasure of meeting him.  Sorry to be long winded but happy to be here.  

awesome testimonial, and welcome :) 

On 2/20/2024 at 1:22 PM, cgccollector9789 said:

Hey Guys I'm Mike! I used to collect when I was younger, But I'm starting to get back into it but strictly with  CGC Comics. 

I'm looking forward to learn all about what to look for and whats worth grading and not grading

Tbh it is touchy when people just come out and ask what to buy lol

Our motto is collect what you love! Going into spec is usually the unknown, but if your aware of interest from collecting as a kid?

There are threads called 

"This week in your collection" there is one in comics general and each age or age fourum, ie silver 60s,  copper 80s, 70s bronze and etc. Even modern 90s until now

I mention as you may pick one of those forums to peruse and jog your memory of what you thought of specifically as a kid, that the nostalgia brought you back to the hobby now. :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Hello,

I regularly find items in houses I buy and rentals then I clean out.  Sometimes I find thousands of dollars of tools, family photos which I return, and other valuables (furniture, pokemon cards ....)  and now comic books.  I don't want to hear from the ethics , I make sure my ethics are above reproach

In a house I bought, I found many comic books from the late 80s, all in plastic and boarded. Such as "the Adventures of Superman" 1992   Elispso, the Darkness within.  I want to sell these, some are uncirculated mint, some were heavily water damaged.  Another 'Spiderman  "something about a gun" ' Oct 27 1992  I have at least 100 different ones.

Is there anyone who might be interested in 1980s comics which are heavily water damaged or are they just trash?

What is the best way to sell the uncirculated boarded and wrapped comics?  I can be patient, If I sold them for top dollar  in the next 12 to 24 months, I would be pleased. If the market is down and I need to wait a couple of years. What is the best way to store them? I am in high humidity midwest? 

if the comic books are a series, is it better to offer the series or individually?

When do I pay to get them graded? How do I determine which ones to grade? Remember, I am looking for maximum profits, not to collect myself. 

I have some comic books, same book 2 per bag separated by a board. is there a process to separating them into two? Should I do it, or sell it as a pair?

some of the boards are ever so slightly warped. Do I want to replace the boards? Is there a safe way to flatten them?

On another topic.. I find pokemon cards, baseball cards and old atari and sega game catridges and 360 DVDs would be in another post. Along with what DVD's and VHS are worth saving. 

Also, I find tons of pennies from 50s to 80s. Some have green corrosion. For the pennies that have corrosion NOT patina on them. Is there a way to clean them without harming future value too much. The green corrosion eliminates any current value. How long does it take for patina to grow on a cleaned penny?