• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,915 posts in this topic

That cartoon is what really got me into comics too. I can't wait for X-Men '97 now to indulge in a bit of nostalgia. 

WTTB! 

Hi all- New here and trying to learn as much as possible. Interested in starting a decent collection mainly focusing on X-men and looking at some first appearance of other beloved characters (for now). I’ve always been a fan growing up but am just diving into the comic book world over the last month or so. Really enjoying it so far and love the historical aspect of it as well as the what seems like a decent store of value!

On 8/20/2023 at 1:15 AM, kmfbaloo said:

Hi all- New here and trying to learn as much as possible. Interested in starting a decent collection mainly focusing on X-men and looking at some first appearance of other beloved characters (for now). I’ve always been a fan growing up but am just diving into the comic book world over the last month or so. Really enjoying it so far and love the historical aspect of it as well as the what seems like a decent store of value!

Buy what you love and you won't be disappointed :cheers:

Welcome to the boards!

On 8/4/2023 at 8:05 AM, NicoV said:

Hi everyone,

I'm a French comic art enthusiast who's been a part of this forum for a few years, although I've never formally introduced myself. My passion lies in collecting original comic art from both European and US artists. You might also know me as the creator of ComicArtTracker, a platform designed for fellow comic art collectors!

What does comic art tracker do?

On 8/20/2023 at 8:12 PM, kmfbaloo said:

What does comic art tracker do?

ComicArtTracker is a website dedicated to helping collectors find and track comic art for sale from more than 360 dealers, auction houses, marketplaces and artists websites all over the world. Instead of having to check all these websites manually, you just have to check one. Plus you can define a list of keywords and receive daily notifications by email when new listings match one of these keywords.

On 8/20/2023 at 11:23 PM, NicoV said:

ComicArtTracker is a website dedicated to helping collectors find and track comic art for sale from more than 360 dealers, auction houses, marketplaces and artists websites all over the world. Instead of having to check all these websites manually, you just have to check one. Plus you can define a list of keywords and receive daily notifications by email when new listings match one of these keywords.

Awesome! I'll check it out

On 8/21/2023 at 10:28 PM, centchevaliers said:

Hey, all! I'm a long time spectator, first time poster. I enjoy collecting Batman, Amazing Spider-Man and TMNT. Looking forward to connecting with you all!

Welcome to the boards :)

Hello!  I have an extensive comic collection & even a whole "Comic Book Room" which, if I can figure out how to share pix of (I already know the place to, from lurking) I will.  My username is from Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, not meant as intention :)  I've bought many a CGC comic, have sent a bunch into to be graded, & am even starting to sell some!  So.. hi!

Edited by RobAnybody

On 8/23/2023 at 9:24 PM, RobAnybody said:

Hello!  I have an extensive comic collection & even a whole "Comic Book Room" which, if I can figure out how to share pix of (I already know the place to, from lurking) I will.  My username is from Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, not meant as intention :)  I've bought many a CGC comic, have sent a bunch into to be graded, & am even starting to sell some!  So.. hi!

lol I would still change the user name :makepoint:lol Best of Luck though haha

Hi CGC! I chose Djedi as a username because of Star Wars and also the Egyptian connection. Djedi was a fictional Egyptian magician. Learning about ancient cultures is one of my interests. Some of the first comics I read were Watchmen and Mike Carey's Lucifer run. Only recently have I really gotten into physical collecting. Most of what I have is Zenescope/Grimm Fairy Tales. I like that they do a lot of self-contained or anthology stories.

On 8/27/2023 at 11:52 AM, Djedi said:

Hi CGC! I chose Djedi as a username because of Star Wars and also the Egyptian connection. Djedi was a fictional Egyptian magician. Learning about ancient cultures is one of my interests. Some of the first comics I read were Watchmen and Mike Carey's Lucifer run. Only recently have I really gotten into physical collecting. Most of what I have is Zenescope/Grimm Fairy Tales. I like that they do a lot of self-contained or anthology stories.

welcome!

On 9/10/2023 at 8:05 PM, SpawnsUniverse said:

Hello, everyone!

Newbie here just popping in to introduce myself to everyone. I'm a long time comics fan and I've always had comics around when I was younger and bought some issues here and there as a kid in the 80's and early 90's, but didn't consider myself a collector until 1994 when I put a complete run together of The Tick. That was the first time I actively cared about having a collection of comics and felt the need to have the entire run in bags and boards.

Once I completed that collection of Tick comics it would be about another year until I fully got going with my collection and dove deep into the X-Men catalog and collected anything/everything with a X on the cover. For years I was lost in the world of X-Men and in 2998 I branched out and began buying a ton of other books and got heavy into Ultimate Marvel and Crossgen Comics in 2000. 

I made a huge mistake and eft the hobby of buying single issues in 2004 when I sold off my collection in favor of TPB's, but now I'm happy to say that I'm finally back in the saddle and looking to buy some of my favorite books.again, as well as hoping to discover new books as I build my collection up from scratch.

Let the adventure begin!

Welcome to the boards 😀 it could be considered a "good time to buy" at the moment, but only because we're coming off the highs of the past years, which kind of happened everywhere...

On 9/10/2023 at 9:35 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Welcome to the boards 😀 it could be considered a "good time to buy" at the moment, but only because we're coming off the highs of the past years, which kind of happened everywhere...

Thanks for the tip!

I'm all honesty I buy and read comics as a hobby and don't really care much if my comics are valuable or not. I know the hobby is full of investors and whatnot, but I'm just a collector who enjoys to read and treasure my books. Maybe someday I'll buy a couple key issues for long term value, but I've always been a "for fun" member of the comics community.

I will say though, there are quite a few comics going for $7-$10 that were being sold on sites like My Comic Shop for $1.99 just a few years back, so it looks like this hobby has seen some peaks during the COVID years. Crazy!

On 9/10/2023 at 8:48 PM, SpawnsUniverse said:

Thanks for the tip!

I'm all honesty I buy and read comics as a hobby and don't really care much if my comics are valuable or not. I know the hobby is full of investors and whatnot, but I'm just a collector who enjoys to read and treasure my books. Maybe someday I'll buy a couple key issues for long term value, but I've always been a "for fun" member of the comics community.

I will say though, there are quite a few comics going for $7-$10 that were being sold on sites like My Comic Shop for $1.99 just a few years back, so it looks like this hobby has seen some peaks during the COVID years. Crazy!

Awesome! Always go by buying "what you love and you won't be disappointed" cause you'll pay only what you're willing. If I can offer a suggestion, don't go headstrong into variants in moderns, yes they look cool and serve a purpose,  but I'm more encouraged by "looking for good reads!" There are gem variants, but it's almost like buying a lottery ticket, but meh I'm sure we all dip a but into that, js.

If looking to recapture your old collection, there are several tick fans here and so on. The "search function of the boards is currently lacking, so use Google by typing in a subject line and then followed by cgccomics.com 

That'll help turn up results.

Not to talke your ear off upon 1st response lol but there is plenty to have fun with!

One last thing, you can see the thread pinned at the top, that the boards will be "down due to a revamp and update" tomorrow 9/11...

So if you try to post tomorrow give it time until it gets back up and running. Glad to have you here!