• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Appearance of Harley Quinn?

231 posts in this topic

Because if it is a comic then JD just lost his shirt. ;)
:signfunny:
OMG! How will I ever survive. I will have to eat my three BA12 9.8s. Perhaps a youfundme should be set up pronto.
We still love you, it's just that now you are the BA12 guy, like it or not.
You must add 9.8 when addressing me that way.

Because if it is a comic then JD just lost his shirt. ;)
:signfunny:
OMG! How will I ever survive. I will have to eat my three BA12 9.8s. Perhaps a youfundme should be set up pronto.
We still love you, it's just that now you are the BA12 guy, like it or not.
You must add 9.8 when addressing me that way.

Hahahahahahaha sir, yes sir BA12 CGC 9.8 1st class lol

lol that's funny.

I personally wouldn't count Dixie cups or board games ( which I have ) but this is an illustrated book. Does the size not make it a comic ? Miniature Jesus or Mouse Guard or Farlaine anyone ? I would also second the fact that BA12 doesn't take place in continuity, just like this. I have no dog in the fight because I don't collect HQ or Deadpool for that matter. If I did, I would buy this book from Barnes and Noble or whoever. It could be important.

BA12 takes place in the "adventures" continuity, which, between the numerous Batman, Superman and Justice League[?] titles amounts to hundreds of individual issues. Not to mention, that's the continuity most kids under 14 know and the only Green Lantern they knew (until the movie) was John Stewart.

You are correct regarding Hellboy. SDCC #2 is currently identified as the first appearance. BUT, for a time, (and from a purely capitalistic point of view), collectors "perceived" Dime Press #4 as being the first published appearance of the character Hellboy and priced this book ahead of SDCC #2. I guess when the "irrational exuberance" wore off, collectors settled back with SDCC #2 as the official "comic" version of the current Hellboy character.

My Goon comparison was a bit more solid. :)

Meck

9.8s were readily available at $350-$400 for a long time.

Those days are gone.

I always figured the One Shot that introduces her into the DC Universe would one day surpass the BA 12. I whiffed on that call.

If I remember correctly, because I had the one shot in what i thought was 9.8 condition and was considering slabbing it, that in about Spring of 2012 it was going for over $200 in 9.8, which I suspect was more than what BA 12 was going for (or close...dunno if BA12 had started its climb yet)

i am going to guess that the one shot, with the easily scratched cover, is going to be harder in 9.8 than BA 12 (plus perhaps smaller print-run? i dunno)

so this may still happen [again]

Edited by the blob

I'm kind of leaning toward this golden book as being the first "adventures" continuity appearance. It's the sort of thing that could be sold in a comic shop, the interiors sure look like a "comic" (panels as opposed to one page of art with words at the bottom). anyway, it's all good...

just curious though..the HQ one-shot is closer to tpb/graphic novel than a "comic" physically at least... if a character first appears in a graphic novel, is that not a first app?

lol that's funny.

I personally wouldn't count Dixie cups or board games ( which I have ) but this is an illustrated book. Does the size not make it a comic ? Miniature Jesus or Mouse Guard or Farlaine anyone ? I would also second the fact that BA12 doesn't take place in continuity, just like this. I have no dog in the fight because I don't collect HQ or Deadpool for that matter. If I did, I would buy this book from Barnes and Noble or whoever. It could be important.

BA12 takes place in the "adventures" continuity, which, between the numerous Batman, Superman and Justice League[?] titles amounts to hundreds of individual issues. Not to mention, that's the continuity most kids under 14 know and the only Green Lantern they knew (until the movie) was John Stewart.

I brought my kids up on Morrison JLA, Knightfall, and Jurgens Superman but I can't speak to most kids. My kids liked Batman Beyond but wouldn't read the "adventures" stuff. They thought it was too kiddie by the time they started reading comics. They did prefer Ultimate Spider-man by Bendis over ASM by JMS. I still say it has nothing at all to do with DC continuity any more than Ultimate Spider-man does Marvel continuity and 14 year old kids are not the people buying $1000 comics.

I understand that BA12 has value even though it is not in continuity. My point was, if there is no line, then this book could be just as, if not more, valuable in the long run. A collective of people will decide over time. I was unaware that this comic even existed until today. I am guessing I'm not alone in this discovery. I was informed earlier that Batman Harley Quinn used to be more expensive than BA12. What is to say that couldn't happen with this book if it turns out to be more rare and in higher demand ? I'm not saying it will or won't. I thought it would be a good book for a HQ collector to have in their collection. 2c

I'm kind of leaning toward this golden book as being the first "adventures" continuity appearance. It's the sort of thing that could be sold in a comic shop, the interiors sure look like a "comic" (panels as opposed to one page of art with words at the bottom). anyway, it's all good...

just curious though..the HQ one-shot is closer to tpb/graphic novel than a "comic" physically at least... if a character first appears in a graphic novel, is that not a first app?

I think these were Prestige format...ah, I'm just kidding :grin:

I agree with you. If it looks like a comic and reads like a comic, it's probably a comic. They all sold out quick today, that much is for sure. lol

The rise of BA 12 is a relatively recent phenomenon. In late 2008, I sold three copies in separate auctions and averaged a bit over $5 a copy (wish I had THOSE books back!).

In 2009, I paired a copy of BA 12 with a BA Mad Love (1st print) and the price jumped (between $23 & $51) for the pair. In my opinion, I think BA 12 was still "under the radar" and BA Mad Love was THE Harley book to own back then.

In 2010, I paired a BA 12 with a BA 28 and got practically nothing for the pair ($10 & $5 for the two auctions).

In 2011 I had two sales of BA 12 ($15 & $25).

Early 2012 is when BA 12 started its march higher. Sales were $15, then $41, then $51, then $38, then $41, then $56, then $24 (probably a low-grade copy).

2013, I would say, is when BA 12 hit FULL mainstream. The rest is history.

While my auctions are not indicative of the overall market (obviously) and condition would have dictated final value (obviously), I think the above shows some interesting trends (at least for me) of this particular comic.

Or maybe I need to take a crash course on how to succeed at maximizing profits from seling comics! hm

Meck

The rise of BA 12 is a relatively recent phenomenon. In late 2008, I sold three copies in separate auctions and averaged a bit over $5 a copy (wish I had THOSE books back!).

In 2009, I paired a copy of BA 12 with a BA Mad Love (1st print) and the price jumped (between $23 & $51) for the pair. In my opinion, I think BA 12 was still "under the radar" and BA Mad Love was THE Harley book to own back then.

In 2010, I paired a BA 12 with a BA 28 and got practically nothing for the pair ($10 & $5 for the two auctions).

In 2011 I had two sales of BA 12 ($15 & $25).

Early 2012 is when BA 12 started its march higher. Sales were $15, then $41, then $51, then $38, then $41, then $56, then $24 (probably a low-grade copy).

2013, I would say, is when BA 12 hit FULL mainstream. The rest is history.

While my auctions are not indicative of the overall market (obviously) and condition would have dictated final value (obviously), I think the above shows some interesting trends (at least for me) of this particular comic.

Or maybe I need to take a crash course on how to succeed at maximizing profits from seling comics! hm

Meck

lol the fact that your still selling comics 4 years later means you don't need any courses.

I am thoroughly impressed you can track your sales back to 2009 on a per issue basis and that you had that many of them for sale over the years. I keep track of money out and money in year to year. Excellent accounting . :applause:

I am fascinated by the line in the sand and then boom! It explodes in price. I have seen books rise quickly but to the best of my recollection, I haven't seen a book blow up 20 years later. Maybe the Valiant /Gold Key stuff ? I think its great either way. When people get excited over comics, I think its good for the hobby and the overall market (thumbs u

BA 12 is on the long list of board hyped books. It only takes a few interested bidders with some extra money. It was hyped here and then followed the regular pattern of board inflation. Artificial at best.

And you're welcome for your Goon example. ;)

BA 12 is on the long list of board hyped books. It only takes a few interested bidders with some extra money. It was hyped here and then followed the regular pattern of board inflation. Artificial at best.

Okay then, let me tell you guys about what I see in Superman 204 and why you don't want to miss the boat bwahahahahaha

Except it has been steadily increasing in price for at least a year, long before it was discussed at length here.

And other books involving Harley have also been increasing, outside of even the one shot, Mad Love, and the first issue of her solo series. Batman Adventures 28 for example.

Okay then, let me tell you guys about what I see in Superman 204 and why you don't want to miss the boat bwahahahahaha

Now get a buddy to list a copy, get a couple of shill bids and then mention it here again. Rinse and repeat. Watch the show. (thumbs u

Now get a buddy to list a copy, get a couple of shill bids and then mention it here again. Rinse and repeat. Watch the show. (thumbs u

:roflmao:

You are correct regarding Hellboy. SDCC #2 is currently identified as the first appearance. BUT, for a time, (and from a purely capitalistic point of view), collectors "perceived" Dime Press #4 as being the first published appearance of the character Hellboy and priced this book ahead of SDCC #2. I guess when the "irrational exuberance" wore off, collectors settled back with SDCC #2 as the official "comic" version of the current Hellboy character.

My Goon comparison was a bit more solid. :)

Meck

It's possible that SDCC 2 is considered his true first app., but DP 4 still sells for way more even today. Have you ever seen a 9.8 of this book? It's rare

Agreed. In high grade, the DP 4, is a much tougher book to find (and pricier) than SDCC 2. However, a few years ago, eBay became "flooded" with the Dime Press books. And considering the character Hellboy is only on the cover (no interiors), as opposed to SDCC 2, interest in the DP 4 seemed to wane a bit (considereing its hefty price). I think now, I would rather spend $ on the SDCC 2 than the DP 4.

Actually, I'd rather spend $ on Harley Quinn books than Hellboy books (no offense to Hellboy).

Meck