• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Appearance of Harley Quinn?

231 posts in this topic

Should I have footnoted that Goon example? ???

When I 1st joined the boards Goon was all the rage. I did a google search for the 1st appearance and came across DreamWalker 0. Seems all the die hard fans were not aware of this book. I told a few boardies and next thing I knew all the copies were sold. It went from a $1 book to a $200 book overnight. I believe there were even emails sent to the writer looking for copies. At 1st the writer thought their book was suddenly being noticed. The reaction wasn't as nice when they found out why.

Short story - My 1st encounter to the boards acting like 5 year olds playing soccer. Countless examples since then.

took mine out and took a few more pics of the interiors, Harley is on quite a few pages and has alot of dialogue, as it turns out I have two of these, one still sealed and this one which I opened. I think around that time I was buying two of alot of things, one to keep sealed and another to open as that's what I had heard toy collectors do. anyway, here's the pics. :)

olvw.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

9z9n.jpg

o41j.jpg

last image too big, click link below to view.

http://imageshack.us/a/img199/459/had8.JPG

took mine out and took a few more pics of the interiors, Harley is on quite a few pages and has alot of dialogue, as it turns out I have two of these, one still sealed and this one which I opened. I think around that time I was buying two of alot of things, one to keep sealed and another to open as that's what I had heard toy collectors do. anyway, here's the pics. :)

olvw.jpg

9z9n.jpg

o41j.jpg

last image too big, click link below to view.

http://imageshack.us/a/img199/459/had8.JPG

It definitely looks like a comic book to me unlike some of those early He-Man mini-comics which are more text with accompanying picture. So, how many pages does it have? Are there ads in addition to the comic pages? Who published it? Does it credit the writer/artist/inker/etc.? Does it have an indicia? Publish date in the indicia?

I'm still interested in hearing the detail about this comic.

You are correct regarding Hellboy. SDCC #2 is currently identified as the first appearance. BUT, for a time, (and from a purely capitalistic point of view), collectors "perceived" Dime Press #4 as being the first published appearance of the character Hellboy and priced this book ahead of SDCC #2. I guess when the "irrational exuberance" wore off, collectors settled back with SDCC #2 as the official "comic" version of the current Hellboy character.

My Goon comparison was a bit more solid. :)

Meck

It's possible that SDCC 2 is considered his true first app., but DP 4 still sells for way more even today. Have you ever seen a 9.8 of this book? It's rare

lol

What will probably happen here is the Batman Adventures 12 will continue to attract all the money, even if this toy pack in comic ends up technically being the first appearance of Harley Quinn in comics.

I collect Star Wars comics. I'm seeing the same thing happening with the "1st" appearance of Boba Fett in comics; people are zeroing in on Star War 42 as the first appearance, even though Star Wars 42 is the 4th printing of those comics pages and technically a reprint. The first printing of those pages are in The Marvel Comics Illustrated Star Wars: The Empires Strikes Back PB (notable for having an earlier prototype Yoda depicted in the story.) Then we have Marvel Super Special 16: The Empire Strikes Back (Magazine) and Marvel Special Edition 2: The Empire Strikes Back (Treasury) both of which were on the news stands when ESB was released to theatres. Since all 3 of these publications pre-date Star Wars 42, there is no way Star Wars 42 is the 1st Boba Fett in comics, unless you take a narrow definition of comics to be the standard comic book sized package.

Another character I collect who had his 1st appearance in a digest sized comic is Dr. Spektor from Gold Key's Mystery Comic Digest 5. Yet you see more money being spent on The Occult Files of Dr. Spektor 1 than you do on the digest.

Same thing with Marvel's Adventures on the Planet of the Apes series which reprints (in color) the movie adaptions found in the Planet of the Apes magazine. The Adventures on the Planet of the Apes 1 fetches more money than the original printings in the magazines.

I suspect some of this has to do with the ease with which the standard pamplet size can be stored. Some of it has to do with education.

Edited by rjrjr

I guess this begs the question: has anyone ever seen the market correct itself from a "wrong" first appearance once it has been accepted and established with sales?

I'm thinking once the market has spoken that that's the final word, but hey, I could be wrong...

When I 1st joined the boards Goon was all the rage. I did a google search for the 1st appearance and came across DreamWalker 0. Seems all the die hard fans were not aware of this book. I told a few boardies and next thing I knew all the copies were sold. It went from a $1 book to a $200 book overnight. I believe there were even emails sent to the writer looking for copies. At 1st the writer thought their book was suddenly being noticed. The reaction wasn't as nice when they found out why.

Short story - My 1st encounter to the boards acting like 5 year olds playing soccer. Countless examples since then.

I remember mentioning something about The Strain only in passing which saw a silly amount get bought up during this year's TV show roulette. Am I famous now?

oriE3bP.jpg

I guess this begs the question: has anyone ever seen the market correct itself from a "wrong" first appearance once it has been accepted and established with sales?

I'm thinking once the market has spoken that that's the final word, but hey, I could be wrong...

Batman Adventures 12 First Appearance of Harley Quinn in Comics. Nothing will change this fact.

The only way you would not consider it, is if you invest heavily in tin foil hats.

Batman Adventures 12 First Appearance of Harley Quinn in Comics. Nothing will change this fact.

The only way you would not consider it, is if you invest heavily in tin foil hats.

And yet, I see an appearance of Harley Quinn in a comic that probably pre-dates Batman Adventures 12 a few postings above this one. :grin:

You are right though, a toy pack in comic doesn't have much of a chance against a regular sized pamphlet as I pointed out above.

I remember mentioning something about The Strain only in passing which saw a silly amount get bought up during this year's TV show roulette. Am I famous now?

oriE3bP.jpg

Sure. Why not?

The price for one of those tape/book combos is $100+ online (Amazon, et al) lol

Yeah, the whole first appearance bit has been taken a little far. Now I want this book/tape to be the first appearance, just to watch the furor. :baiting:

It definitely looks like a comic book to me unlike some of those early He-Man mini-comics which are more text with accompanying picture.

So, how many pages does it have? 32

Are there ads in addition to the comic pages? NO

Who published it? Western Publishing Company Inc.

Does it credit the writer/artist/inker/etc.? YES (see pics below)

Does it have an indicia? YES (see pics below)

Publish date in the indicia? YES, it says 1993 (see pics below)

I'm still interested in hearing the detail about this comic.

your questions are answered above in bold.

here are some additional pics.

0ww7.jpg

fkz6.jpg

1mz7.jpg

here is a pic of the back of my sealed copy, the packaging that the book and tape are contained in.

f2y2.jpg

True but not a Little Golden Book. The more I think of it, the more this looks like a comic to me. I don't think it will have any impact on BA12 or Batman Harley Quinn but I do think it could be and sounds like should be the first appearance in a comic. 2c