• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Appearance of Harley Quinn?

231 posts in this topic

ISBN is for books and book like media. Comic books and other monthly magazines are not given ISBN numbers. Also pertaining to copyright dates, the date on the packaging is likely the date the copyright was applied for. I think it quite impossible to narrow any particular book down to its exact month produced and it's on shelf date. The board game is also dated 1993 and has Harley in a form of printed matter (a game piece) It could be argued that it was out before the book and record combo. Again a nice Harley collectible, but its media form is a book and not a comic book.

So graphic novels and TPB which have ISBNs are not comic books? Even GNs with original material? I just pulled my Silver Surfer: The Enslavers off the shelf (one of my older original material publications) and looked and it has an ISBN. It is listed in the Overstreet Price Guide along with the other Silver Surfer comic books. Does a comic book have to be a soft floppy pamphlet? A periodical?

I guess I don't understand why Power Records and Silver Surfer: The Enslavers are considered comic books, but the "Almost Got 'Im" book is not.

I want it to be clear, I have no skin in this game (I don't own the "Almost Got 'Im" book.) I think it is an interesting discussion though. I wasn't aware that what is considered a comic book had such a narrow definition. I've always considered GNs, TPBs, paperbacks, magazines, even some hard cover books (like the Silver Surfer: The Enslavers), that have predominantly comic content to be comic books. As a Star Wars comic fan, I've always considered "Star Wars: The Mixed Up Droid" a comic book for example, regardless of the fact it is smaller than a traditional comic book, has less pages than a traditional comic book, came in a plastic package with a tape, and has an ISBN.

I do appreciate your opinion however.

I'm more than likely assuming when speaking about copyright laws ( I know didley) I just know I have never seen a traditional floppy comic book with an ISBN. Over the years comic books have taken on shapes and sizes, so whats a comic or whats a book can always be argued. I cant say CGC is the end all with decisions and what they call it is what it is. I sent in some moderns just last week and they yanked my TMNT #2 out of the invoice, created a new one with a new fee and shipping because they call it a "Magazine" We can argue about that another day, but thats a comic book. CGC makes it fall into catagories by its size, not by its media form.

I'm not sure I would defer to CGC what is a comic book or not. They have a limited selection of holder sizes with which to seal comics, so naturally, they are going to categorize the comic based on the size of the holder. (If it is this size, it is a magazine, this size, a comic.) But just because CGC cannot (or will not) encapsulate a book does not necessarily mean it is not a comic book. In my opinion, this "Almost Got 'Im" is a comic book, regardless of whether or not CGC will grade and encapsulate it.

Before it gets lost in all this discussion (which I am enjoying) I want to reiterate that I think BA 12 will reign as king for the Harley Quinn crowd for the same reason Star Wars 42 is considered Boba Fett's 1st appearance. It has the momentum, it was distributed in the tradition manner, and has the traditional size and shape.

Another example I just thought of is Nexus. Nexus' first appearance was in a magazine sized comic. For my money, your TMNT 2 is a comic, not a magazine. Just a larger sized comic.

From the U.S. Copyright Office records:

Type of Work: Sound Recording and Text

Registration Number / Date: SR0000180351 / 1993-08-16

Application Title: Tale ’n’ tape : no. 14376.

Title: Almost got ’im!

Description: Sound cassette + ill. booklet.

Series: Batman, the animated series

Notes: Based on animated television series.

Copyright Claimant: © ℗ DC Comics, Inc. (employer for hire)

Date of Creation: 1993

Date of Publication: 1993-08-10

Basis of Claim: New Matter: text; artwork; recording.

Names: DC Comics, Inc.

:grin:

Need I highlight this small amount of text?

Copyright Claimant: © DC Comics, Inc. (employer for hire)

good job Divad. :applause:

Wish I had two . . . ;)

not in this one for the money, since like I said I paid cover way back when, just like knowing what is and what isn't, that's all. I think it's pretty cool, as is BA12 or most things with Harley, :)

Wish I had two . . . ;)

not in this one for the money, since like I said I paid cover way back when, just like knowing what is and what isn't, that's all. I think it's pretty cool, as is BA12 or most things with Harley, :)

Understood, but I would submit the open copy to CGC if I were you . . . create the conundrum :insane:

Wish I had two . . . ;)

Understood, but I would submit the open copy to CGC if I were you . . . create the conundrum :insane:

lol

maybe, but I'm in no hurry.

So we know by 9/93 the date on BA12, that book had been on the shelves what 1 or 2 months?

Well, once again, according to the U.S. Copyright Office, it appears that BA12 is the winner by a week:

Type of Work: Serial

Title: The Batman Adventures.

Serial Publication Year: 1993

Description: print material.

Frequency: Monthly.

Publication History: [No.] 1, Oct. 1992-

Copyright Claimant: DC Comics, Inc.

Issues Registered: no. 5, Feb93. Created 1992; Pub. 1993-01-05; Reg. 1993-02-17; TX0003486207

no. 6, Mar93. Created 1993; Pub. 1993-02-02; Reg. 1993-02-17; TX0003483195

no. 7, Apr93. Created 1993; Pub. 1993-03-02; Reg. 1993-04-22; TX0003532246

no. 8, May93. Created 1993; Pub. 1993-04-06; Reg. 1993-04-22; TX0003531853

no. 9, Jun93. Created 1993; Pub. 1993-05-11; Reg. 1993-05-18; TX0003545466

no. 10, Jul93. Created 1993; Pub. 1993-06-01; Reg. 1993-06-21; TX0003576687

no. 11, Aug93. Created 1993; Pub. 1993-07-06; Reg. 1993-08-04; TX0003597968

no. 12, Sep93. Created 1993; Pub. 1993-08-03; Reg. 1993-10-27; TX0003661101

no. 13, Oct93. Created 1993; Pub. 1993-09-07; Reg. 1993-10-27; TX0003662680

no. 14, Nov93. Created 1993; Pub. 1993-10-05; Reg. 1993-11-12; TX0003675201

no. 15, Dec93. Created 1993; Pub. 1993-11-02; Reg. 1994-01-24; TX0003726425

no. 16, Jan94. Created 1993; Pub. 1993-12-07; Reg. 1994-01-27; TX0003740611

no. Feb94, special. Created 1993; Pub. 1993-12-14; Reg. 1994-01-24; TX0003726427

Basis of Claim: New matter: additions.

That book is analogous to a Power Records book and record combo:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/190881740183?lpid=82

Are they collectible - Yes

Are they awesome - Yes

Are they comics - No

This Harley book may have legs, and I hope it does, but it is not a comic.

I thought Power Records books were considered comic books? They are listed in my Oversteet Price Guide along with the other comic books. I wasn't aware of a controversy about that. It's interesting. Do others feel the Power Records books are not comic books?

CGC considers them comics http://www.cgccomics.com/census/issues_bytitle.asp?title=Power+Record+Comics&publisher=D%2EC%2E+Comics (shrug)

CGC grades them. That doesn't make them comics.

Are they awesome - Yes

Are they comics - No

I thought Power Records books were considered comic books? They are listed in my Oversteet Price Guide along with the other comic books. I wasn't aware of a controversy about that. It's interesting. Do others feel the Power Records books are not comic books?

CGC considers them comics http://www.cgccomics.com/census/issues_bytitle.asp?title=Power+Record+Comics&publisher=D%2EC%2E+Comics (shrug)

On that note, nor does it not make them comics. :grin:

Are they awesome - Yes

Are they comics - No

Well, that is certainly true. And realistically, no matter what someone puts up as a reason why it is not a comic book, you can find an example to shoot it down. I just use Justice Stewart's analysis - "I know it when I see it."

Are they awesome - Yes

Are they comics - No

Well, that is certainly true. And realistically, no matter what someone puts up as a reason why it is not a comic book, you can find an example to shoot it down. I just use Justice Stewart's analysis - "I know it when I see it."

I agree (which is the analysis I applied.) :grin:

Or perhaps Groucho is a better authority, "If it quacks like a duck . . ." lol

Just heard back from CGC......take this for what it's worth: CGC WILL NOT GRADE THIS "Almost Got 'Im" book. They do not consider it "technically" to be a comic.

Wonder if they will ever change their stance?

Meck

Curious indeed, who exactly did you hear from? hm And is the emphasis theirs? or yours? hm hm

Copyright Claimant: © DC Comics, Inc. (employer for hire)

An illustrated booklet created by DC Comics, Inc. not a comic book? hm

The response was from the head Modern Grader - via one of the customer service associates (or is that vice-versa?). Anyway, I was just trying to save some of the boardies aggravation of submitting this book and then having it returned ungraded.

Again, I am not sure if CGC's stance is a static one. Perhaps in the distant future these Golden Books will be recognized by CGC as legitimate comics.

Meck

Are they awesome - Yes

Are they comics - No

Agree.

This book was not published as, or distributed as a comic. There are many items like it in the kids section at Barnes and Noble. They usually take a similar form; thicker cover stock, squarish shape, and comic story interiors.

My guess is that this book will not be accepted as a true comic, but will likely find a significance among HQ collectors.