• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Appearance of Harley Quinn?

231 posts in this topic

it is weird how those "publication" dates seem to have a real disconnect with with 2-3 month cover date situation we've seen for years. my "offering" alternative theory makes no sense in that regard as well as there's no way the book is first being "offered" (in advance) for sale in August with a Sept. cover, but making an "offer" date the same as a publication makes perfect sense...otherwise you could have a preview in July about this great new comic coming out in September about a baby boy from another planet that explodes sent to earth on a spaceship by his parents to save him who turns out to have super powers on earth due to the color of our sun...and someone could copy your idea by pumping something out in August and beat you to "publication"

I am closer to solving this mystery.....and yet farther. The artist who penciled Almost Got 'Im is certain that he rendered the artwork for that book in late 1992. So it appears the only way to clear this up is to get date information from Bruce Timm (regarding the artwork from BA 12). Anybody on this board next door neighbors to Mr. Timm?? hm

now we really are getting close to a scribble on a napkin as the first app...

I decided to purchase the book and tape combo and send it to Beta Analytics in Miami, Florida for carbon dating. They claim to be able to carbon date the paper and ink. With the carbon dating results, they also can perform a simple test which will tell us the exact date the ink was applied to the paper. Using oxygen sensor equipment, they will also be able to determine when the book was encapsulated in the plastic case.

We should have our answer to this mystery in about two weeks.

Edited by rjrjr

now we really are getting close to a scribble on a napkin as the first app...

I decided to purchase the book and tape combo and send it to Beta Analytics in Miami, Florida for carbon dating. They claim to be able to carbon date the paper and ink. With the carbon dating results, they also can perform a simple test which will tell us the exact date the ink was applied to the paper. Using oxygen sensor equipment, they will also be able to determine when the book was encapsulated in the plastic case.

We should have our answer to this mystery in about two weeks.

:wishluck:

lol

I am closer to solving this mystery.....and yet farther. The artist who penciled Almost Got 'Im is certain that he rendered the artwork for that book in late 1992. So it appears the only way to clear this up is to get date information from Bruce Timm (regarding the artwork from BA 12). Anybody on this board next door neighbors to Mr. Timm?? hm

I don't think that's any more relevant than the copyright date. I mean the lead time for having a golden book published could be significantly longer than the lead time for a comic book...or not. Either way, when the art was drawn wouldn't prove anything.

I don't think that's any more relevant than the copyright date. I mean the lead time for having a golden book published could be significantly longer than the lead time for a comic book...or not. Either way, when the art was drawn wouldn't prove anything.

Shhh. These guys are going to unprecedented lengths. Logic may slow them down.

Shhh. These guys are going to unprecedented lengths. Logic may slow them down.

lol

This of course is your opinion.....which I respect but don't agree with. As a collector of comics and other pop-culture items,I personally would want to have in my possession the most original rendering of a character. I would consider that item to be a first appearance. At this point, it doesn't matter to me whether the toy book is deemed to be a comic. The interior art is in a comic-format similar to standard comic artwork, which is all I care about to make a decision. If I am in the minority, so be it. I'm not trying to sway anybody's stance, one way or the other. Just trying to obtain some additional facts.

Meck

If that's just the way you like to collect, then that's fine. I totally respect that. Just understand that there's no historical precedence in the hobby for 'the most original rendering of a character' being used as the sole criteria for a first appearance.

come on guys, it's a fun thread, can't think of the last thread I participated in that was as much fun, beats another pressing thread, (shrug)

I too would like to know which came first, and it may turn out to be nothing, but it is fun, I think some people are nervous that BA12 might not be the first app. of Harley, going so far as to call this "Almost Got Im" book a "toy" or "children's book", but I say wasn't BA12 not long ago dismissed as a childrens book due to the art and the disconnect to DC continuity?

if cover price was on these book/tape books were originally $8.00, then I'm in to them for $16 total, If it turns out to be the 2nd Harley Quinn, I'm sure the book's value has risen to new heights and probably will be on more collector's radars either way.

come on guys, it's a fun thread, can't think of the last thread I participated in that was as much fun, beats another pressing thread, (shrug)

I too would like to know which came first, and it may turn out to be nothing, but it is fun, I think some people are nervous that BA12 might not be the first app. of Harley, going so far as to call this "Almost Got Im" book a "toy" or "children's book", but I say wasn't BA12 not long ago dismissed as a childrens book due to the art and the disconnect to DC continuity?

if cover price was on these book/tape books were originally $8.00, then I'm in to them for $16 total, If it turns out to be the 2nd Harley Quinn, I'm sure the book's value has risen to new heights and probably will be on more collector's radars either way.

You raise a good point, camaraderie be damned, the real question is how will these card stock covers respond to a good pressing :slapfight: .

come on guys, it's a fun thread, can't think of the last thread I participated in that was as much fun, beats another pressing thread,

This thread is beyond epic. It has calls to CGC, archival review of the PTO database, and carbon dating!!