• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Canadian Newsstand Cover Price V****** Thread
18 18

2,887 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2023 at 9:08 AM, Silver Surfer said:

I haven’t submitted many books over the years. I once bought a handful of Thor #363 CPV’S on the boards and decided to submit them to Voldy and surprisingly all 4 of them came back as 9.8’s.

That worked out nicely in your favor. 

I have narrowed my CPV submissions down to just keys/higher value books for now as the cost of grading with the exchange rate is too high. It was much nicer a short while ago when the loonie was closer in value to the greenback.

On 7/28/2023 at 2:17 AM, kimik said:

That worked out nicely in your favor. 

I have narrowed my CPV submissions down to just keys/higher value books for now as the cost of grading with the exchange rate is too high. It was much nicer a short while ago when the loonie was closer in value to the greenback.

Thats the thing, everyone would be invariably using the same mindset.

We're seeing all the high grade copies come out off the woodwork first.   So if your looking at the census for CPV's and extrapolate off the current grade profiles, you'll be in for a shock later on.    This is the good books coming onto the market first.

In a way it’s good, let others chase the keys while I have been able to pick up other books for much less than it would cost to have them sourced and graded myself. Meanwhile as the census numbers grow the prices tend to drop. There are a bunch of key books on EBay right now. 

On 7/28/2023 at 1:20 PM, Silver Surfer said:

In a way it’s good, let others chase the keys while I have been able to pick up other books for much less than it would cost to have them sourced and graded myself. Meanwhile as the census numbers grow the prices tend to drop. There are a bunch of key books on EBay right now. 

Also, the high grade copies are locked away in collections.  There are certain high grade CPV's that no longer appear on the market anywhere.   There's not been a Wolverine Limited Series CGC 9.8 on the market for the last 2-3 years, even 9.6's have dried up. 

Guy's are holding onto CPV CGC books,  while their direct edition counterparts, get sold like hot-cakes back and forth.

CPV submissions for this year finally are looking broader across the grades.   The high grade submissions have run out except for the big event books, and even with those books, its light.

Totally agree but a quick peak at the census and there are more than a half dozen copies of issues #2 and #3 plus Voldy copies, a couple of those will eventually surface for sale and 9.6 copies will be pressed out for higher grades. CPV’s are terribly undervalued IMO but maybe with time and a slightly increased census figures they will draw more interest. For now I would be content owning a bunch of cool covers and maybe finishing a few runs of my favourite series. 

On 7/28/2023 at 2:34 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Totally agree but a quick peak at the census and there are more than a half dozen copies of issues #2 and #3 plus Voldy copies, a couple of those will eventually surface for sale and 9.6 copies will be pressed out for higher grades. CPV’s are terribly undervalued IMO but maybe with time and a slightly increased census figures they will draw more interest. For now I would be content owning a bunch of cool covers and maybe finishing a few runs of my favourite series. 

That title is easy to talk about, the number direct edition books is huge, and the grading is extremely clear, and extremely tight.   Even if 1 or 2 copies get bumped up, the total number of copies of CPV's is minuscule.

For perspective, there is more in common with CPV 9.8's, and direct edition 9.9 census numbers.    And the very last 9.9 was handed out in 2020, then you have to jump back to 2015 for the next one. 

Thank you all for the comments recently re: Wolverine LS. I dropped by a couple of LCS's today and one of them put out a high grade set of #1 US newsstand, #2 CPV, #3 direct, #4 CPV at a very reasonable price so I snagged them. I look at it that the mentioning of the books here ended up creating the opportunity at my LCS. (thumbsu

Looking at the condition, I think it must be from the same collection as the Joes I snagged last year with a bunch of nice CPVs including #21.

On 7/31/2023 at 12:38 AM, kimik said:

Thank you all for the comments recently re: Wolverine LS. I dropped by a couple of LCS's today and one of them put out a high grade set of #1 US newsstand, #2 CPV, #3 direct, #4 CPV at a very reasonable price so I snagged them. I look at it that the mentioning of the books here ended up creating the opportunity at my LCS. (thumbsu

Looking at the condition, I think it must be from the same collection as the Joes I snagged last year with a bunch of nice CPVs including #21.

I wish that a Wolverine Limited Series CPV set was possible but sadly, #1 CPV doesn't exist. That's an opportunity Marvel missed... 40 years later. :kidaround:

On 8/1/2023 at 3:18 AM, Silver Surfer said:

Nice. I need to dig through my storage of raw books. Did you see what the Swamp Thing #37 closed out at on EBay last night? It was only a 9.4 but I think it almost pushed $900 USD.

A few people are catching onto how rare CPV's are, and even more so for the DC issues.   Add in a key issue, but that was some strong bidding.    People had been waiting a while for an issue to come up.

On 7/31/2023 at 5:52 PM, Microchip said:
On 7/31/2023 at 12:18 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Nice. I need to dig through my storage of raw books. Did you see what the Swamp Thing #37 closed out at on EBay last night? It was only a 9.4 but I think it almost pushed $900 USD.

A few people are catching onto how rare CPV's are, and even more so for the DC issues.   Add in a key issue, but that was some strong bidding.    People had been waiting a while for an issue to come up.

I still await Batman 357 cpv to gain traction, as imo is a key, but I just don't think there is a lot of demand for it period idk. It's the only I have, key, 9.6, DC, and yet nothing looks like hope for it.

I've reconciled that I'm not going to sell it soon anyway, but it would be nice 😂