• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Canadian Newsstand Cover Price V****** Thread
18 18

2,874 posts in this topic

On 5/3/2023 at 9:29 AM, kimik said:

Nice. I did not get a chance to shop. Were there a lot of CPVs at the show?

I wasn't specifically looking for them but I buy them when they are really nice.

It was from a regular toy and comic guy from Winnipeg who was from the other room.  I've been buying from him for years, as he has a lot of unread mid 70s and later stock that are reasonably priced. 

Looks like I may need to start pulling out CPVs and selling them at shows. I have a bunch tucked away someplace. Now the only issue is finding them as I am pretty certain they are scattered in a number of different long boxes. doh!

On 3/5/2023 at 5:45 PM, valiantman said:

A more colorful version of the same article can also be seen here: https://www.cpvpriceguide.com/canadian-price-variants-cpvs-and-gpanalysis-2022/

I can confirm that 9.8 CPVs are much harder to find now than when I first started chasing them in 2001 or 2002 and even into the mid 2010s. Back then it was easy to find 9.4+ copies at LCSs and in collections.  Now there is more competition for them which makes it a bit tougher, but the biggest factor IMHO is that most of the HG copies/collections appear to have been sold off. The copies I see now at LCSs or in collections are mostly FN to VF condition.

On 5/31/2023 at 2:02 AM, kimik said:

I can confirm that 9.8 CPVs are much harder to find now than when I first started chasing them in 2001 or 2002 and even into the mid 2010s. Back then it was easy to find 9.4+ copies at LCSs and in collections.  Now there is more competition for them which makes it a bit tougher, but the biggest factor IMHO is that most of the HG copies/collections appear to have been sold off. The copies I see now at LCSs or in collections are mostly FN to VF condition.

There's only been one big warehouse style of finds turning up in the census numbers for CPV's.

Alpha Flight #1 with 50 new 9.8's hitting the census in the middle of last year.  

The rest is everyone tracking down any and all copies of the big money books ASM 252, 238, Thor 337-339, anything else with Venom, GI Joe 21, etc 

It's still the best material being subbed for non big issues, to ensure a 9.6/9.8 grading.    These books are the ones to get, prices are still wildly low.