• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Canadian Newsstand Cover Price V****** Thread
18 18

2,885 posts in this topic

On 8/1/2023 at 8:49 AM, valiantman said:

I wish that a Wolverine Limited Series CPV set was possible but sadly, #1 CPV doesn't exist. That's an opportunity Marvel missed... 40 years later. :kidaround:

Speaking with @davidpg, the thread originator and resident expert on all things Canadian.   They got the newsstand edition for issue #1.    The guys in Marvel management inadvertently broke up the set from a CPV point of view with issue #2 onwards. 

9.8 keys at auction, especially CGC graded ones, can really catch fire. I haven't seen too much interest for sub 9.8 copies however which is why that ST#37 sale surprised me. I think there is a 9.6 copy available for just slightly more via a BIN/make an offer. EDIT: actually that 9.6 is not a Canadian copy, not sure why it shows up when I do a search for Canadian versions

Edited by Silver Surfer

On 8/1/2023 at 10:38 AM, Silver Surfer said:

9.8 keys at auction, especially CGC graded ones, can really catch fire. I haven't seen too much interest for sub 9.8 copies however which is why that ST#37 sale surprised me. I think there is a 9.6 copy available for just slightly more via a BIN/make an offer. EDIT: actually that 9.6 is not a Canadian copy, not sure why it shows up when I do a search for Canadian versions

@ramrod44's pickups the other week might have spurred the market.   

image.thumb.png.553ffbfbd4547bf18c2e3f8cceaa7b64.png

Amazing books to have in that condition.

(worship)(worship)(worship)

The #21 rarely comes up for sale in 9.8 so I’m not surprised. It’s a major key for CPV collectors. Hopefully some filler issues I’m looking for will pop up without the same fanfare. There are Thor issues without any 9.8’s graded, probably because most people can’t be bother to submit them. 

On 7/31/2023 at 12:18 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Nice. I need to dig through my storage of raw books. Did you see what the Swamp Thing #37 closed out at on EBay last night? It was only a 9.4 but I think it almost pushed $900 USD.

Yeah,..... my name is Dan and I'm a raging-hoarding Swampaholic. :insane:

ST_37cgc9.4CPV.jpeg

SwampThing_37cgc9.0CPV.jpeg

ST_37cgc8.0CPV.jpeg

I faithfully believe that this key issue is wayyyy undervalued in CPV form. :preach:

When (not if, trust me, they are out there) a 9.8 comes up for auction, I think it will sell for at least 5-7k with a ceiling of 10-12k. :jawdrop:

If it goes for less than 5k then it will be mine. :takeit:

On 7/31/2023 at 8:05 PM, Microchip said:

@ramrod44's pickups the other week might have spurred the market.   

image.thumb.png.553ffbfbd4547bf18c2e3f8cceaa7b64.png

Amazing books to have in that condition.

(worship)(worship)(worship)

Thanks for the love :foryou: but I only won the #20. I already have a 9.8 #21 that was missed as a CPV twice! (The Squish Chronicle - page #122-#123 of this very thread) I bought it as a 9.6 (no CPV note on label) and had it pressed and regraded. (missed CPV note again) :facepalm:

SwampThing21cgc9.8CVP.jpg

I do know who won the #21. A fellow board member was trying to negotiate a trade for my copy when it popped on eBay. I think he got a solid price. I told him I wouldn't consider cash offers less than 3k for my copy. Just like #37, I believe #21, #20 and #25 are wayyyy undervalued as CPV's. 2c

On 8/1/2023 at 12:16 PM, ramrod44 said:

When (not if, trust me, they are out there) a 9.8 comes up for auction, I think it will sell for at least 5-7k with a ceiling of 10-12k. :jawdrop:

If it goes for less than 5k then it will be mine. :takeit:

Thats fighting words right there!! :baiting::cheers:

It'll be interesting to see what comes next, after all the ASM #252 hype dies down.   Thor #337 has cooled already.   Those two and Secrets Wars #8 have dominated the big CPV sales.    You've average collector will go looking elsewhere.  Constantine is hard to beat.  

image.thumb.png.4ce7cf599804b95637e11e3dd8f504b1.png

On 7/31/2023 at 7:33 PM, Microchip said:

Speaking with @davidpg, the thread originator and resident expert on all things Canadian.   They got the newsstand edition for issue #1.    The guys in Marvel management inadvertently broke up the set from a CPV point of view with issue #2 onwards. 

Yep, I indeed purchased the Wolverine MS directly off the rack at my local corner store and the number 1 we had was the 60c version just like our American neighbors.  I was really on top of picking up my books off the racks back then rememberng what was coming out and when...the switch to 75 cents didn't really make an impact on me and I gotta say I didn't really notice.  Then growing up and collecting, I did start to notice the difference in price on the cover while digging up back issues though I didn't have a preference overall.  I did prefer direct editions over newsstand books once I started realizing I had a choice (later on).  I probably have 300 or so CPVs and now hust find them a great reminder of the old days.  I'm still toying with putting together a complete set (any condition...would be quantity over quality) as I have the most expensive ones already (includingmy Blip 1 ;) ).

On 8/13/2023 at 9:45 AM, Silver Surfer said:

Just checked the census, 4 copies at 9.4, 2 at 9.2. But considering that this is the most collected character by far the numbers seem to be very sparse. 

They are out there, but condition is the key. I have owned several in mid grade but nothing 9.0+. Being a magazine meant it was a pain to store longer term.

On 8/16/2023 at 12:39 AM, bellrules said:

Picked up a collection last night and these guys were tucked inside. Interesting that they have distributed by Whitman on the bag. 

IMG_9727.jpeg

IMG_9728.jpeg

IMG_9729.jpeg

Two 75c books, for $1.49, Marvel really rolled out the VIP treatment for the Canadians :facepalm: