• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Canadian Newsstand Cover Price V****** Thread
18 18

2,879 posts in this topic

On 12/6/2023 at 7:57 AM, icp004 said:

It’s a shame that while a production defect like an extra insert or an extra cover would be like striking gold, a missing insert gets you the GLOD!!!  

Get a beater copy of FF #252, or Star Wars #69 for their tattoos (shrug)

image.png.5be25505f9329619a9e7ede3adbf96c4.png

image.png.a351f9bdf49c8d297757f3b545de9edf.png

image.thumb.png.44963957626ed783558012df775feec5.png

Ok, reading through, you an attempt a home bit of rest work, you wouldn't be the first. 

All I'm going to say is, they can be hard to spot. It's a little square or sliver, the tattooz, in the paper sheet that takes a flashlight to see sometimes.

I sent mine in when I got it cheap, because I bought it raw for like $35 and could check for them, I saw it after a while sent it in without a presss.

It originally was in que as "qualified" I called to have them recheck, which they did and they saw them that time, it got blue universal with a meager 7.0 grade.

For the price, I wasn't complaining at about $70 all in, although a press probably would have helped lol 

but then again mine is not a cpv. just remarking :cheers::foryou: 

graders notes

light spine stress lines to cover;
moderate bends to cover;
stain right center of front cover.

3206903_Full_Obv.jpg?t=MTEvMTUvMjAyMyA4OjAyOjQ5IFBN

On 12/12/2023 at 11:06 PM, Silver Surfer said:

An ASM #238 CGC 9.8 just sold on EBay for only &4,850, ouch. EBay is such a krap shoot and for some reason prices for CPV’s have been sagging badly lately. 

Fine by me. Depressed prices means Imma goingst ta get my 9.8/9.6 CPV freak on! :jawdrop:   :whee:  :flamethrower:

On 12/26/2023 at 8:38 AM, Silver Surfer said:

Check out the thread in Comics General, this is most likely not a true 9.8 and a scam. 

The numbers on CPV's are virtually non existent in the top grade.   And new books aren't consistently coming onto the market in the top grades.   Hence why the CGC case fraud thread has not included a CPV to date.

You can't swap out the slab, and the 60c price change to 75c.   CPV's are immune to this scam, aside from slab to slab for lower grade copies being swapped in.   The best candidates again will be ASM #252, #238, MSHSW #8, Thor #337.   Even with the biggest pop CPVs, there's not a steady supply of books to draw upon.

Here's a mislabeled and misgraded that looks more 9.8 than 9.6 on flaws. A good pressing and cleaning will definitely make this worth the high 9.8 price.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? :grin:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/235376553262?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=UeO5uaHdQky&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=UeO5uaHdQky&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

On 1/9/2024 at 8:07 AM, Ironfist said:

Here's a mislabeled and misgraded that looks more 9.8 than 9.6 on flaws. A good pressing and cleaning will definitely make this worth the high 9.8 price.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? :grin:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/235376553262?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=UeO5uaHdQky&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=UeO5uaHdQky&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Well worth a plunge...though even at half the asking price, that would be too much.

On 1/8/2024 at 11:48 AM, davidpg said:

No replies since last year!! ;)

I'm looking forward to scouring the bins at all the LCS again in 2024 to see what CPVs get shaken out......

Had a CPV in collection and never knew until it was pointed out by Brock in the Digest thread.  Mislabeled by CGC :facepalm:

image.thumb.jpeg.a812a9c55bc2d282afcb2e648f998bb7.jpeg

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/18/2024 at 3:57 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Asking since they are all in Voldy slabs and can’t be posted here. 

Uh, quick re-cap for those of us who were too busy "furiously washing our junk" to pay attention. Please and Thank you.

On 1/20/2024 at 6:09 PM, paqart said:

My oldest CPV, and the US version.

VP1 Can US.jpg

I should add that this comic contains one of Barks all time greatest stories. My opinion, this comic is one of the five most desirable Barks comics.

So what do we think the CPV market is gonna do this year?  Prediction are only the super-high grade books will sell well.  No love for lower grade ones for real?  I still wouldn't mind trying to get a full set of MArvel and DC at any grade (and for cheap!) just as a task.  Plus I have the most expensive ones already anyway ;)