• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Canadian Newsstand Cover Price V****** Thread
18 18

2,874 posts in this topic

On 2/27/2024 at 8:54 AM, davidpg said:

So what do we think the CPV market is gonna do this year?  Prediction are only the super-high grade books will sell well.  No love for lower grade ones for real?  I still wouldn't mind trying to get a full set of MArvel and DC at any grade (and for cheap!) just as a task.  Plus I have the most expensive ones already anyway ;)

I think prices are settling down as more collectors have already picked up the books they want. Lots of dealers are sitting on their CPVs too which should lower prices if they bring them to market. I am trying to put together a set of Marvel and DC in VF or better. Right now I am about 60-70 short of the set (there are a few listed on the CPV website that I don't think exist in the wild)...

Dan

On 2/28/2024 at 1:18 PM, dm226 said:

Right now I am about 60-70 short of the set (there are a few listed on the CPV website that I don't think exist in the wild)...

What are the books you're looking for still?  And do you mean inexistant generally or in higher grade?  I think this would be a great discussion here :)

Edited by davidpg

On 2/28/2024 at 11:44 AM, davidpg said:

What are the books you're looking for still?  And do you mean inexistant generally or in higher grade?  I think this would be a great discussion here :)

The books I need are mostly random titles. I can get virtually all of them on ebay but some of the prices are too high for me. As for the others, I think there are some that simply don't exist, period. For example, Angel Love #1-8, Zatanna Special 1 (this one is tricky because the regular newsstand has a $2 cover price), Fraggle Rock 8, Hawkman 16 and 17, and Blue Beetle 22 and 23...

Dan

On 2/28/2024 at 2:23 PM, dm226 said:

The books I need are mostly random titles. I can get virtually all of them on ebay but some of the prices are too high for me. As for the others, I think there are some that simply don't exist, period. For example, Angel Love #1-8, Zatanna Special 1 (this one is tricky because the regular newsstand has a $2 cover price), Fraggle Rock 8, Hawkman 16 and 17, and Blue Beetle 22 and 23...

Dan

Interesting!  I have a few LCS' scatterd throughout eastern Canada that have a good selection of CPVs hidden in bins. I'll start paying attention and see if I can dig some of these up.

On 2/28/2024 at 12:23 PM, dm226 said:

Dan

Given the price box on the newsstand edition of Fraggle Rock 8, I don’t think it exists. 

IMG_2032.jpeg

On 2/28/2024 at 4:06 PM, bellrules said:

Given the price box on the newsstand edition of Fraggle Rock 8, I don’t think it exists. 

IMG_2032.jpeg

Agreed actually.  And issue 7 is the classic.  Maybe Angelo  can chime in?  Any otyer discrepencies we know of?

Fraggle Rock Canadian Price Variant #7

On 2/29/2024 at 9:04 AM, davidpg said:

Agreed actually.  And issue 7 is the classic.  Maybe Angelo  can chime in?  Any otyer discrepencies we know of?

Fraggle Rock Canadian Price Variant #7

David. You, Dan and Bellrules are correct, Fraggle Rock #8 definitely has no CPV. Good catch gentlemen ! As for Angel Love and Zatanna Special #1 there are corresponding US newsstand examples ( Ben has a link on the CPV guide pointing to this) so the "possibility" that they exist is there but I have never seen one. As for Hawkman 16-17 and Blue Beetle 22-23  direct editions of these issues do have the tell-tale "logo box" which may lead one to believe that newsstand editions could exist but the possibility is much lower. Given these were the last two issues and sales were probably lackluster, we cannot rule out if a decision was taken not to print them?  

Edited by The_Investor

Well now that we have soe sort of mission, maybe us motivated peeps can dig some up.  Like I said, I have a few comic shops with deep bins that I wil go through agan and see if I can flush any of these out!