• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

speculators picks for the next upcomming week.

171 posts in this topic

What other companies arent doing that Marvel and DC dont have to is build a universe. Crossgen tried it, Valiant is doing it again and I think thats it. Its hard to do up front, but if you build a foundation it will keep you going for years just ask Marvel and DC. Fresh ideas dont come from them much.

I agree. The 2 things that help Marvel and DC the most is that their characters exist together in their own universe and decades of hand me down history. These are also the 2 things that in my opinion stifle creativity. Even with the New 52, you can see the creep of old ideas.

@Authority

I am not saying that DC and Marvel don't play the # 1 or events game but just recognizing that Image is also playing that game to up its numbers. It is just playing better than other independents to gain more grounds.

The problem I have is still with the marketing aspect, specifically the lack of established characters to draw readers in and the lack of marketing dollars to push it out. Your example of the Authority didn't mention how it manage to increase readership. I would love to know how it spreads from one fan to another. I don't think just talking in forums is enough or EoW would have increase its readership by now. Knowing how successful title spreads will give us a better idea of whether EoW can manage the same.

Also, I wonder if you have the print numbers for the Authority. Did it decline like EoW or did it hold and increase?

The Authority grew because it was something different than anything else on the market. Word of mouth was fantastic like it is with Saga and EOW. That caused readership to grow. Youy can check out the numbers on comichron.com by starting with Stormwatch 37-50, then Stormwatch vol 2 1-10 ? Stormwatch/Aliens, and then The Authority vol 1, 1-29. They stayed in the low 30s for a couple of years and finally started growing. The Authority 1-29 sold for between $150 and $200 for quite some time. Volume 2 felt more like a DC comic and has suffered ever since. 2c

Okay from a spec perspective...

manifest destiny might be a slow burn...but I don't see an immediate rise...image hasn't had any immediate rises for a while now...

I think wolverine #11 is a bust too...no real spec interest once people realized...

next week we have voices in the dark, guy draws with his mouth, how cool is that?

Harley Quinne 0 I have a feeling the print run will be excessive on this...

That seems pretty much it right now...

Okay from a spec perspective...

manifest destiny might be a slow burn...but I don't see an immediate rise...image hasn't had any immediate rises for a while now...

I think wolverine #11 is a bust too...no real spec interest once people realized...

next week we have voices in the dark, guy draws with his mouth, how cool is that?

Harley Quinne 0 I have a feeling the print run will be excessive on this...

That seems pretty much it right now...

voices-in-the-dark.jpg

Good luck finding that at your LCS

I think you mean A Voice in the Dark...

oh? where are you getting that from?

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2013/2013-10.html

Some really interesting numbers...standard editions of the 3D covers seem to have very low print runs...

Bushido from image seems pretty popular but it has the smallest print run from image I have seen in a long time around 7,000

fox is around 7,000 too

Can't find the print run on death sentence 1 but #2 is the low thousands...

What's everyone's thoughts on Valiant's Unity return?

From a purely new set of eyes to the universe and set of characters I was pretty hooked and see lots of potential. Seems you guys with more experience with them are a bit more wary of throwing the chips down with them.

valiant and the 90's overprinting of comics is pretty synonymous...

Remember TUROK #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because 8 million X-Men #1s weren't a better example. VALIANT wasn't the only company known for it nor were they they worst offenders.

;)

-slmy

oh? where are you getting that from?

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2013/2013-10.html

Some really interesting numbers...standard editions of the 3D covers seem to have very low print runs...

Bushido from image seems pretty popular but it has the smallest print run from image I have seen in a long time around 7,000

fox is around 7,000 too

Can't find the print run on death sentence 1 but #2 is the low thousands...

Death sentence #1 was 8,500 then I think they did a additional print for midtown comics variant