• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Preacher - AMC

1,535 posts in this topic

Preacher is the second highest rated show on AMC, Walking Dead being the highest rated.That said,you can bet that preacher will be on AMC for years.

It's the 5th highest rated:

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/amc-network-tv-show-ratings-33643/

Looks like Walking Dead was getting a rating of 13.153 and Preacher is at 1.755 for the same time slot. Sounds like about an 85% drop in viewers from Walking Dead. Preacher barely holds a candle light compared to the bonfire of Walking Dead.

Preacher is the second highest rated show on AMC, Walking Dead being the highest rated.That said,you can bet that preacher will be on AMC for years.

Looks like Walking Dead was getting a rating of 13.153 and Preacher is at 1.755 for the same time slot. Sounds like about an 85% drop in viewers from Walking Dead. Preacher barely holds a candle light compared to the bonfire of Walking Dead.

We shouldn't even be talking about their ratings in the same sentence. Love it or hate it, the Walking Dead television series has been a juggernaut. It's bad enough that every single modern that picks up any steam gets compared to it in comic book form, does every single comic-based show have to go through that wringer as well?

I don't get our collective fascination with it to begin with, everyone knows Invincible is Kirkman's best work :sumo:

It's the second highest rated if you don't consider anything with "WALKING DEAD" or "BADLANDS" in the title. :flamed:

And all the pointing to how great the show must be doing as a reason it's renewed....they also renewed "Halt and Catch Fire" that's got less than 1/3 the viewers of Preacher. So they aren't all that picky it seems. lol

In the press release that AMC issued when they announced that Preacher had been renewed for a second season, AMC indicated that Preacher was the second highest rated show on AMC.

They are counting shows that are currently airing new episodes, I guess.

Even with the deviations from the source material, I gotta say I liked the last episode.....the motel fight, Eugene goes to Hell.....just the right amount of supernatural for this point in the storyline. Both situations tease more to come.

I still hate Tulip. She really sucks in an epic way.

Beh.

I think Ruth Negga does a pretty fine role of playing Tulip, I put the slight misdirection of her character onto Rogan and Goldberg's directing, which needs improvement.That said, I'm glad other directors are handling the show now.

Negga is a very good actress, with the right director and so on, she has a very impressive range....which you are starting to see more of, in the past 2 episodes.

I recently watched Iona,a 2015 movie which she starred in, along with Tom Brooke.

If you watch this movie, I guarantee your opinion of Negga would change:

But besides all of that, I liked Negga as Tulip from the start.

Ruth Negga is doing a fine job of playing the character that was created for the show, but she's doing a terrible job of playing Preacher's Tulip O'Hare. To be fair, she's only an actress, not a writer.

We shouldn't even be talking about their ratings in the same sentence. Love it or hate it, the Walking Dead television series has been a juggernaut. It's bad enough that every single modern that picks up any steam gets compared to it in comic book form, does every single comic-based show have to go through that wringer as well?

I don't get our collective fascination with it to begin with, everyone knows Invincible is Kirkman's best work :sumo:

I agree with all of what you've said here, except I've never read Invincible.I've never read any WD comics, either.

I will say that WD is a good show and I do enjoy the show but at the root of it, WD is a show about a.......zombie apocalypse.

It is a show about zombies....sure, I am entertained by the show but anything that revolves around zombies is pretty much the definition of low brow escapist fodder.

I realize that is not a popular sentiment but it is the truth.

On that token, escapist fare ( as well done as the WD is, it is what it is) will always be more popular than a show that addresses theology,morality and so on.

Comparing WD (the show) to Preacher (the show) is like comparing The X-Men to Eightball or Hate.They just are not comparable.

Preacher was/is the my personal favorite modern series of all time.The subject matter was much deeper, without being pretentious and still providing plenty of black humor and comical, over the top violence.

So far, the AMC version of preacher isn't as dark as the comics were, nor quite as gritty but it is only 6 episodes in...and I realize that my love for the original Preacher run does allow for a bit of bias, but I am loving the show, despite some aspects of the show not (yet) holding up to the comics.

Even with the deviations from the source material, I gotta say I liked the last episode.....the motel fight, Eugene goes to Hell.....just the right amount of supernatural for this point in the storyline. Both situations tease more to come.

I still hate Tulip. She really sucks in an epic way.

Beh.

I think Ruth Negga does a pretty fine role of playing Tulip, I put the slight misdirection of her character onto Rogan and Goldberg's directing, which needs improvement.That said, I'm glad other directors are handling the show now.

Negga is a very good actress, with the right director and so on, she has a very impressive range....which you are starting to see more of, in the past 2 episodes.

I recently watched Iona,a 2015 movie which she starred in, along with Tom Brooke.

If you watch this movie, I guarantee your opinion of Negga would change:

But besides all of that, I liked Negga as Tulip from the start.

Recently saw the World of Warcraft movie... had a hard time watching Jesse and Tulip play the King and Queen in Stormwind. Not because they can't act - they did fine jobs playing vastly different characters from their television roles - but it was just weird to see them together so soon after they'd been cemented in my mind as their characters from Preacher.

Anyway, this is a round about somewhat off topic way for me to agree that she is definitely not a bad actress - I agree with your assessment, the direction she is receiving, or the direction they're taking Tulip in, is simply bad or vastly different from the source material.

I think Negga/Tulip did have some shortcomings in the first few episodes, but I put that on the fairly slow and meandering tone of the first few episoes of the show, as well as the directors of the first few episodes.

However, the show did need to have a slow start, it could not have started at warp speed, as the comics did.Her role in the show is drastically improving, now that the slowly unraveling premise(s) os the show are coming into light.

IMO, she is the spitting image of a light skinned black version of Tulip would be.

She has pretty much the same gusto as Tulip displayed in the comics.I don't care that she does not physically look quite the same as she did in the comics.

I've been a hardcore Preacher fan from day one. I picked all of the issues up at my LCS starting with the Preacher Preview.

I'm enjoying the TV show, but it's only brushing up against the source material at best. However, I understand there's no way they could replicate all of the darkness and twistedness of the book directly on the TV screen.

In my opinion (and that's all this is), Dominic Cooper is doing a good job, but he is no Jesse Custer. I don't know who I would have picked for that role, but it wouldn't have been Cooper. And, I honestly can't take Ruth Negga as Tulip. There's something about her acting that just rubs me wrong. I never liked her in AOS either.

Cassidy is the best-cast character on the show. Even if you can't understand his brogue half the time.

This was the first episode that seemed to be firing right on all cylinders.

-Humor was good.

-Pacing was good.

-Editing was good.

-Tension has been built up nicely.

-Character development was good.

-Nice back stories fleshed out.

I can't wait for the next episode.

Did Cassidy call God a "Muppet that smells his own pfarts?" or did I mishear that?

That's how I heard it too...

-Humor was good.

-Pacing was good.

-Editing was good.

It's a good thing Jesse set up that external loudspeaker....you just never know when you're going to have to speak to a crowd. lol

-Humor was good.

-Pacing was good.

-Editing was good.

It's a good thing Jesse set up that external loudspeaker....you just never know when you're going to have to speak to a crowd. lol

Does his power work over an external speaker? Or do they have to hear him in person? I can't remember from the comic.

-Humor was good.

-Pacing was good.

-Editing was good.

Does his power work over an external speaker? Or do they have to hear him in person? I can't remember from the comic.

As far as I can remember, they just have to be able to hear and understand him. So, the speaker should work fine.

-Humor was good.

-Pacing was good.

-Editing was good.

As far as I can remember, they just have to be able to hear and understand him. So, the speaker should work fine.

Yeah, In issue 53 Jesse gets on a radio talk show and tells the listeners to TELL US WHAT THEY REALLY WANT