• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Preacher - AMC

1,535 posts in this topic

Well that was weird, and somewhat entertaining, but this show is Not Preacher.

It's a shame that they have wasted the source material and done their own thing for no particular reason. I don't think there will be another season. Big missed opportunity.

It's like there is a checklist of things to get established like Cassidy is a Vampire, Tulip figures out he is a Vampire, Preacher was abused as a kid etc, which takes up 5 to 10 minutes of each show. They then just make up the rest of the episode with weird stuff that Seth found funny while probably really high.

Anyone notice they ripped off Watchmen in the promo this week?

I never got around to reading my copies of Preacher before unloading them here when there was an uptick. Always liked the covers. So I don't have any particular attachment to the source material.

I'm going to give the show a bit more time. I just hope viewers do to. There's some weird/interesting stuff going on there. Last night was a little boring though.

Thought this last episode was very good; there is finally some continuity/sense established to the characters and what is going on. It reminds me of True Blood w/the mix of camp, violence and the exaggerated southern accents. I get why die hard Preacher fans hate this, but the show is turning out to be pretty decent.

I am a die hard preacher fan and absolutely love it

Ditto. I'm loving this show and have read the original run probably a half dozen times. The vocal minority has been pretty vocal about not liking it, but that's nothing new around these parts. Each to his or her own.

Vocal minority?

Preacher has lost over 50% of it's viewership from the premier episode. Its not a minority of people who don't like it. It needs some changes to make it better or else there might not be a season 2.

Also the last CGC 9.8 Preacher 1 sold for $775 so in about a month the book has lost about $300 in value.

Vocal minority?

Preacher has lost over 50% of it's viewership from the premier episode. Its not a minority of people who don't like it. It needs some changes to make it better or else there might not be a season 2.

Also the last CGC 9.8 Preacher 1 sold for $775 so in about a month the book has lost about $300 in value.

To be fair it's June, less buyers around. September the book will pick back up.

As well the show is a darling to the critics, so it's not going anywhere.

AMC has a lot invested into this show, and for the 500th time, Rogan and Goldberg both stated this is the set-up for the start of the comic! I'm sure it's a foregone conclusion that it'll be back, hopefully earlier in the new year than it's debut season (which will help with ratings huge).

There's no doubt AMC will expect more come next season, but in my mind the show is absolutely fantastic, yes less people are watching episode to episode but I'm sure AMC will air it again in a few months, maybe again over a weekend when Walking Dead is close, and it'll catch.

We're 4 episodes in, no need to panic.

Jay

Vocal minority?

pretty nice return if you bought it for cover

Vocal minority?

Gee, shows losing a ton of viewership after the premiere? That's new.

I don't care about the value of the comic in relation to the TV show with respect to this conversation. The value of the book has nothing to do with my enjoyment of the show. #1 was worth a couple bucks when I bought it back in the day and its worth more now, so I'm good. I'm enjoying the show a lot and have a bunch of friends that are as well.

There'll be a season 2. I'd bet my #1 on it.

I'm still enjoying it. I think with each episode it is getting stronger. It is a slow burn, people can handle that sort of show these days. Look at Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, both of those shows started slow. I almost didn't make it through season one of Better Call Saul, but the second season made all that world building in first season worth it.

I'm still enjoying it. I think with each episode it is getting stronger. It is a slow burn, people can handle that sort of show these days. Look at Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, both of those shows started slow. I almost didn't make it through season one of Better Call Saul, but the second season made all that world building in first season worth it.

The lowest rated season one episode of Saul is about what Preacher premiered at and never had one episode below 2. Walking Dead grew in ratings after episode 4 vs the premier.

Breaking Bad is the only show with lower season 1 ratings that turned into a mega hit. This show isn't in the same league as BB right now but there is hope it finds viewers like BB did.

As far as comics go since this is a modern comics thread I figured tracking the price is a fair thing to do. The show is what drove prices so far up. It will be interesting to see where they settle.