• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Shiller Speaks

1,120 posts in this topic

What if there was this doctor....and what if this doctor was all....like....droppin' babies and stuff....and was....you know....sellin' a comic and stuff....would you buy it from him then?

What if there was this doctor....and what if this doctor was all....like....droppin' babies and stuff....and was....you know....sellin' a comic and stuff....would you buy it from him then?

I like you, but then again, you aren't human.

4unxm.jpg

Exactly !! I mean if Rich didn't know what Charles Manson looked like, but he came into the store with a Batman #1 and wanted a grand for it. hm

But if he recognized him then maybe it would be " hey, your Charles Manson !! Get out of my store with your Batman 1"

Greggy owes an apology to Southeast Asia. Change your name to Laotian Grape Ape and apologize.

OMG, this made the whole house laugh out loud! Where the heck do you come up with this stuff? lol

Truth is, there are a whole bunch of people on the boards...who will likely never deal with him again. However he could start a sales thread NOW, and if it included some hot books or keys priced significantly below market value, they would sell.

Fact.

yep, sad but true ...

Why is that so sad?

I, you and everyone participating is here because of the comic books, not some great love of humanity. We participate because we enjoy comic books, read comic books, collect comic books, buy comic books, or sell comic books. So if some one is selling a comic book at a great price and someone else buys it, why is that sad?

In my opinion I think it is sad that someone would judge the moral character of someone else (who they do not know) based simply on a comic book purchase. But that's just my opinion.

I have folks walking in the door of the store every day offering to sell me comics. Should I, as a comic fan/dealer, ask them their personal history before I decide if I will make them an offer?

I look through boxes of comics at every show I attend, many times from other dealers or fans who I have never met before. Should I pry into their private lives before I decide to make a purchase?

This guy has admitted to shilling, has had a few other transgressions, and is apparently trying to make amends. It may be just lip service. But if he offers to sell me a book (that isn't stolen) at a good price should I turn him down because a bunch of guys participating on a comic's chat board might think it would be sad to do otherwise?

C'mon...that is so sad.

I hate humanity. Humanity sucks.

There is definitely an element of truth to that. The Tadano books keep selling at Heritage auction. You could counter with that dealers turned some of the books away from when the investigator who was assigned to the case stole some evidence and tried to sell it but those dealers knew enough to turn away stolen goods. How many of the books that we buy on CLink and Metropolis where there are numerous anonymous consignments belong to people we would not want anything to do with?

I am not taking a stand either way. I am trying to articulate Bedrock's post.

If you know someone to be dishonest, do you do business with them? That is the question. I personally wouldn't knowingly do it, others take a different tact. That's their call. Doesn't mean I don't still think it is sad. It also doesn't mean I don't ultimately end up buying from someone I would avoid had I known who owned the book. It is a risk you take when buying through many of the venues out there.

You really should never have a problem with it because...

First, don't feel sorry for me. I have yet to EVER be proven wrong on human nature.

Truth is, there are a whole bunch of people on the boards...who will likely never deal with him again. However he could start a sales thread NOW, and if it included some hot books or keys priced significantly below market value, they would sell.

Fact.

yep, sad but true ...

Why is that so sad?

I, you and everyone participating is here because of the comic books, not some great love of humanity. We participate because we enjoy comic books, read comic books, collect comic books, buy comic books, or sell comic books. So if some one is selling a comic book at a great price and someone else buys it, why is that sad?

In my opinion I think it is sad that someone would judge the moral character of someone else (who they do not know) based simply on a comic book purchase. But that's just my opinion.

I have folks walking in the door of the store every day offering to sell me comics. Should I, as a comic fan/dealer, ask them their personal history before I decide if I will make them an offer?

I look through boxes of comics at every show I attend, many times from other dealers or fans who I have never met before. Should I pry into their private lives before I decide to make a purchase?

This guy has admitted to shilling, has had a few other transgressions, and is apparently trying to make amends. It may be just lip service. But if he offers to sell me a book (that isn't stolen) at a good price should I turn him down because a bunch of guys participating on a comic's chat board might think it would be sad to do otherwise?

C'mon...that is so sad.

There is definitely an element of truth to that. The Tadano books keep selling at Heritage auction. You could counter with that dealers turned some of the books away from when the investigator who was assigned to the case stole some evidence and tried to sell it but those dealers knew enough to turn away stolen goods. How many of the books that we buy on CLink and Metropolis where there are numerous anonymous consignments belong to people we would not want anything to do with?

What if a drug cartel kingpin was trying to sell a bunch of nice books that he bought legally with his own $$. One might say yea, he bought them legally, but the money itself is tainted. Where does one draw the line?

Now what if that person didn't recognize the drug cartel kingpin guy until after they bought the books for sale? Are the books themselves redeemable by being owned by an honest businessman?

This seems to me to have parallels with the Beige /Red Rocks Sup #1 purchase. Is the Superman #1 itself tainted because of who owned it and how they got it? I think not

For certain, there is always an unwritten moral clause that can come back to bite you in the rear. When dealing with large businesses, theirs tends to be more of an approach that tows the line of making money, not always one directed by principled or ethical conduct.

In the case of the Tadano books, the guys who bought them at shows when the investigator was fencing them might also know something about the consequences of buying stolen property.

Or, they might look at it as one of the gambles one takes when dealing with strangers.

It's amazing how few people ask the basic question "how did you get X?" I don't need to pry in one's personal life, but people looking to sell their stuff also need to be made aware I respect my reputation and integrity enough not to get myself involved in unlawful activity.

One situation comes to mind. Something about the way the person was describing the books didn't seem right. He ended-up admitting they were "repayment" for a buddy who owed him money. I passed on the collection, and the dealer who ended-up with it later scoffed at me for taking so long to close the deal. Guess who came looking for the books a month later?

Do we judge these dealers by the way they approach such situations?

Ultimately, some good points have been made on the difficulty in knowing how to screen people and situations which can backfire. The choice is ours to use reasonable measures, whether to avoid trouble or hassle.

All said, IMHO we are getting way ahead of ourselves as the thread is about a situation where a boardie is looking to redeem himself of past wrongdoing. Hopefully we get to hear a good turnaround story come from this.

Fact.

yep, sad but true ...

Why is that so sad?

C'mon...that is so sad.

If you know someone to be dishonest, do you do business with them? That is the question. I personally wouldn't knowingly do it, others take a different tact. That's their call. Doesn't mean I don't still think it is sad. It also doesn't mean I don't ultimately end up buying from someone I would avoid had I known who owned the book. It is a risk you take when buying through many of the venues out there.

You really should never have a problem with it because...

First, don't feel sorry for me. I have yet to EVER be proven wrong on human nature.

I have no idea what that has to do with what we are discussing (shrug)

I think everyone should just follow their own moral compass...and let Karma sort out the details.

I think everyone should stop using the phrase "moral compass."

I think everyone should stop using the phrase Karma :popcorn:

I think everyone should just follow their own moral compass...and let Karma sort out the details.

Bad things do not always happen to bad people.

All said, IMHO we are getting way ahead of ourselves as the thread is about a situation where a boardie is looking to redeem himself of past wrongdoing. Hoping to hear a good turnaround story come from this.

Yup.

This thread is a very interesting Rorschach test. It shows how we as individuals view others. Money does many things to people and I don't think there is a single person who is reading this post who can say they've never made a questionable decision when dealing with it. As a "dove" I believe that everyone can change for the better and that most are on that long, constant path of changing for the better. It's not a light switch where one day you're bad and the next day your good. We're not robots. We're products of our experiences and it's a lifelong lesson of improvement.

When we're kids, before we can barely walk and talk, we're punching some other kid in the nose because we want their candy or lying to our parents about something we did. After a little while, we learn that it hurts people and we stop doing it. Everyone learns at different times in their life. If someone is 20 or 30 or 40 years old when they fully realize, not only know in their heads (the bullies always know in their heads they they are hurting someone) but actually begin to feel empathy that they were hurting someone that is when they change.

I went to a high school reunion a few years ago and my greatest nemesis, the biggest, baddest bully through my public school years who used to beat me up regularly and tease me because I collected comics and drew pictures of superheros in class apologized to me profusely at the reunion. He's now a high school teacher.

People do and can change but if you refuse to allow it to happen, and assume that a person won't change and look the other way you won't see if/when it actually when it occurs because you're too busy looking for the failure. Ergo, all you see is failure.

I'm hoping something good comes out of this as well but on the flip side, if it ends up being another scam then he deserves to crash and burn harder than ever.

Well said. Now let's just hope Future/symbiotic makes things right with our community.

Now let's move on...while we wait

Anyone see the alternate ending to Breaking Bad? Brilliant!

Anyone watching NFL soon? Which game? I'm waiting for the Fins to lose tonight

:(

Bad things do not always happen to bad people.

That and I'm not a buddist a hindu or a sikh.

hm Maybe BEYONDER is hm