• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

November Clink Auction

248 posts in this topic

I always thought transfer stains came from the inside cover, from the b&w inks on the interior (usually) advertisement.
If that were the case then you'd expect to see more transfer stain on books with more black ink/advertising and you'd see it "grow" based on where the black ink was deposited. Neither of these is consistent with what I have observed.

Transfer stains grow from the interior of the cover to the outer edges as that's where the greatest concentration of oil is and where there's the greatest pressure (assuming it was in a standard "stack"). Also, when you find double covers, the outer cover won't be transfer stained because the inner cover is the barrier between the newsprint paper interior and the outer cover.

I always thought transfer stains came from the inside cover, from the b&w inks on the interior (usually) advertisement.
If that were the case then you'd expect to see more transfer stain on books with more black ink/advertising and you'd see it "grow" based on where the black ink was deposited. Neither of these is consistent with what I have observed.

Transfer stains grow from the interior of the cover to the outer edges as that's where the greatest concentration of oil is and where there's the greatest pressure (assuming it was in a standard "stack"). Also, when you find double covers, the outer cover won't be transfer stained because the inner cover is the barrier between the newsprint paper interior and the outer cover.

This comic of mine has a conspicuous transfer stain in the upper left corner, which corresponds to a heavily printed part of the ad on the inside cover.

143261.jpg.c9ba2f09a62ba50235e9a754eff8871f.jpg

[ All comic books are cheaply produced and miswraps and miscuts are fairly frequent occurrences across the publishers. I'm not sure which ones are worse and even that may vary from year to year.

I suppose, but my experience has been that well-centered, properly cut St John books -- particularly the Baker romance books that I follow pretty closely -- are tougher to find than is true of other publishers.

Wow, the Batman #55 is at 16K+.

that's a lot of scratch for that book

GA seems to be doing better than in previous CL auctions.

It did quite well at the Heritage auction as well. Not many bargains were around

Some Fox comics were printed on colored paper rather than on white paper. The two colors that were used were pink and blue-gray. CGC will note "pink" in the pq listing when pink was used -- not sure how they handle the blue.

For those curious, just thought I'd post some scans of these two examples:

This Rulah 18 was cracked out from a CGC "Pink" PQ slab.

rulah18interior_zpsa370aaf7.jpeg

This Rulah 23 was never graded, but has the blue-gray pages that adamstrange mentioned. My belief is that this would come back from CGC with off-white pages because the color is uniform out to the edges, but this is just a guess. Could even be white for all I know.

rulah23interior_zps98fb8861.jpeg

Also worth noting that the blue-gray pages are thicker -- here is a profile view of these two books, which both have the same page count. The 23 is the thicker one on top. It feels a little closer to construction paper used in kindergarten art class!

rulahedges_zps03feb80b.jpg

It did quite well at the Heritage auction as well. Not many bargains were around

But CL has had a rep for being the wrong venue for GA. That seems to be changing.

But CL has had a rep for being the wrong venue for GA. That seems to be changing.

Agreed. I didn't work out to well for me the one time I consigned GA to them. Glad to see GA collectors are looking at multiple venues, plus CL had some pretty killer stuff this time around

The Fox books also used different paper stock for the covers.

Sometimes the same issue will have a glossy stock paper or a more newsprint type stock.

Yep, that was a crazy first experience seeing the newsprint cover. "Is this a comic?"

Agreed. I didn't work out to well for me the one time I consigned GA to them. Glad to see GA collectors are looking at multiple venues, plus CL had some pretty killer stuff this time around

Maybe if people over-spend tonight there'll be some bargains tomorrow. (I can dream, can't I???)

Not sure if it's been mentioned and don't have the time to read to find out right now, but...

There are tons of page qualities that have been cataloged by some studious comic junky:

CGC Page Quality Chart

lol I posted this link earlier in the thread and got my *spoon* handed to me because the compiler of that chart hypothesizes that "Light Tan" PQ is actually superior to "Cream". Based on his data I am inclined to agree. Though I am not a huge PQ guy either way. As I am sure is quite evident by now. ;)

-J.