• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

November Clink Auction

248 posts in this topic

Not sure if it's been mentioned and don't have the time to read to find out right now, but...

There are tons of page qualities that have been cataloged by some studious comic junky:

CGC Page Quality Chart

lol I posted this link earlier in the thread and got my *spoon* handed to me because the compiler of that chart hypothesizes that "Light Tan" PQ is actually superior to "Cream". Based on his data I am inclined to agree. Though I am not a huge PQ guy either way. As I am sure is quite evident by now. ;)

-J.

Light tan is worse than cream. Even his chart shows the highest grade a light tan to off-white book received was a 9.2 and a "cream" (not cream to off-white) got a 9.6

Here is the basic order of page quality. Some designations like Tan to Cream are basically never used.

White

Off-white to White

Off-white

Cream to Off-white

Cream

Light Tan to Off-white

Tan to Off-white

Dark Tan to Off-white

Slightly Brittle

Brittle

Not sure if it's been mentioned and don't have the time to read to find out right now, but...

There are tons of page qualities that have been cataloged by some studious comic junky:

CGC Page Quality Chart

lol I posted this link earlier in the thread and got my *spoon* handed to me because the compiler of that chart hypothesizes that "Light Tan" PQ is actually superior to "Cream". Based on his data I am inclined to agree. Though I am not a huge PQ guy either way. As I am sure is quite evident by now. ;)

-J.

Light tan is worse than cream. Even his chart shows the highest grade a light tan to off-white book received was a 9.2 and a "cream" (not cream to off-white) got a 9.6

The poster didnt believe me when i confirmed the error (it is not open to opinion but a cgc "fact") but maybe he will listen to a former cgc grader confirm the error (shrug)

CGC Page Quality Chart

-J.

The poster didnt believe me when i confirmed the error (it is not open to opinion but a cgc "fact") but maybe he will listen to a former cgc grader confirm the error (shrug)

or go to his closet and pull out his light tan shirt/sweater and his cream colored shirt/sweater and see which one appears closer to white

I talked with Josh a couple different times once I heard back that the Superworld only got a 7.5.

I can't speak for what their old policies were like as far as capping grades at a certain page quality, but apparently, now there is a cap in place that books with tan pages cannot be graded over a 7.5.

What this means is two things:

1) I'm more than a little annoyed that a book that should've been a solid 9.0/fringe 9.2 only came back a 7.5

2) My loss is the winning bidder's gain, because the book has tremendous eye appeal well above and beyond the grade.

I had no idea about the page quality cap heading in to it, but hey....it is what it is. Yep, still annoyed lol.

Not GA, but still interesting...

The 9.6 Savannah copy of 80 Page Giant #12 CGC 9.6 with C-OW pages sold a few weeks ago for $418. Tonight, a 9.6 white-paged copy sold for $1755.

Not as dramatic, but still interesting...

The last two 9.6 copies of 80 Page Giant #11 sold for $527 and $779. Tonight, a 9.6 sold for $971.

I thought 80 Pagers were dead? hm

I talked with Josh a couple different times once I heard back that the Superworld only got a 7.5.

I can't speak for what their old policies were like as far as capping grades at a certain page quality, but apparently, now there is a cap in place that books with tan pages cannot be graded over a 7.5.

1) I'm more than a little annoyed that a book that should've been a solid 9.0/fringe 9.2 only came back a 7.5

2) My loss is the winning bidder's gain, because the book has tremendous eye appeal well above and beyond the grade.

I had no idea about the page quality cap heading in to it, but hey....it is what it is. Yep, still annoyed lol.

I'm curious what your book will go for. I just threw in a bid and was immediately outbid.

I understand your annoyance but agree with having grade caps for lower page qualities. A book with tan pages doesn't have the life expectancy of a book with white pages; that difference should be taken into account. Even the Overstreet standards mentioned page quality in the grade descriptions (at least by the time the first grading guide came out circa '91 if not before that).

..... in a perfect world, I would be the winning bidder on the Batman 55...... my favorite of the Joker covers...... the blurb about 48 states and the Joker Zippo in the foreground are just TOO much..... LOVE that book. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Not GA, but still interesting...

The 9.6 Savannah copy of 80 Page Giant #12 CGC 9.6 with C-OW pages sold a few weeks ago for $418. Tonight, a 9.6 white-paged copy sold for $1755.

Not as dramatic, but still interesting...

The last two 9.6 copies of 80 Page Giant #11 sold for $527 and $779. Tonight, a 9.6 sold for $971.

I thought 80 Pagers were dead? hm

I thought we were in the GA Forum :baiting:

I was outbid on the Cap 1. I wonder by who hm:hi:

It wasn't me, even though I thought about taking a run at it. (shrug)

I did fire off a late bid for that Daredevil #2 (7.0) which presented better than grade in the FC scan. Alas, I was shut out by two higher snipe bids. :cry:

That'un ended up selling for about 25% over the estimated Guide value! smiley-shocked005.gif

CGC Page Quality Chart

-J.

Here is the basic order of page quality. Some designations like Tan to Cream are basically never used.

White

Off-white to White

Off-white

Cream to Off-white

Cream

Light Tan to Off-white

Tan to Off-white

Dark Tan to Off-white

Slightly Brittle

Brittle

Your table and interpretation makes sense. But then so does the table in the link. Based on that author's hypothesis of the oxidation of paper from the edges of the pages inward toward the spine of the book and the fact that no PQ designation of "Light Tan to Cream" actually exists I am inclined to agree with him. As a side note, books with outright "Light Tan" and "Tan to Cream" pages are both noted on his table in a 9.8 grade. Have we now concluded that CGC has "new" policies in place about grade capping at certain PQ levels? Has this been confirmed? How long before policy is changed again? I never argued that there might be grade caps, I merely dared to posit a theory, based on a very well put together table by an outside source, that "Light Tan to Cream" pages on a book isn't all that bad and may be superior to the more common "Cream-OW" books, based on a very clear paradigm that the author of that table has laid out with examples. The proof is in the pudding. And I think MRMyst was robbed on his grade based on pretty much nothing relevant or actually quantifiable. I hope it did not impact his auction result because it is a great looking book.

As for the "life expectancy" of a book, proper storage and the slabbing of the comic renders that concern rather moot. One more reason I feel way too much credibility is given to the very subjective determination of actual PQ on a book. Other than brittle pages, it just really doesn't matter that much IMHO, and even less so when it comes to rare and/or highly sought mega keys.

-J.

the very subjective determination of actual PQ on a book
As opposed to the very objective grade that is assigned.

Oh wait...

"The assigned grade is an opinion as grading is subjective."

Yup the whole grading process is obviously subjective....PQ, at least in my opinion, being THE MOST subjective and arbitrary aspect of CGC grading, the most fluid, and therefore the least important. If a book I'm eyeing happens to have cream, tan or whatever pages, and I want that book, I buy that book. If it happens to have white pages, then Yippee!, and I buy the book. If the book has the eye appeal I like overall, I buy the book. I don't believe PQ is anything worth haggling over nor paying a premium for. Yes there are exceptions to every rule. But when it comes to that one, they are few and far between.

-J.

Yup the whole grading process is obviously subjective....PQ, at least in my opinion, being THE MOST subjective and arbitrary aspect of CGC grading, the most fluid, and therefore the least important. If a book I'm eyeing happens to have cream, tan or whatever pages, and I want that book, I buy that book. If it happens to have white pages, then Yippee!, and I buy the book. If the book has the eye appeal I like overall, I buy the book. I don't believe PQ is anything worth haggling over nor paying a premium for. Yes there are exceptions to every rule. But when it comes to that one, they are few and far between.

-J.

Having owned a tan to off-white book that was flaking into the bottom of the slab, I definitely take page quality into consideration when making a purchase.

I did fire off a late bid for that Daredevil #2 (7.0) which presented better than grade in the FC scan. Alas, I was shut out by two higher snipe bids. :cry:

That'un ended up selling for about 25% over the estimated Guide value! smiley-shocked005.gif

what d'Cap 1 go fer?

what d'Cap 1 go fer?

$25,805

CGC Page Quality Chart

-J.

White

Off-white to White

Off-white

Cream to Off-white

Cream

Light Tan to Off-white

Tan to Off-white

Dark Tan to Off-white

Slightly Brittle

Brittle

Your table and interpretation makes sense. But then so does the table in the link. Based on that author's hypothesis of the oxidation of paper from the edges of the pages inward toward the spine of the book and the fact that no PQ designation of "Light Tan to Cream" actually exists I am inclined to agree with him. As a side note, books with outright "Light Tan" and "Tan to Cream" pages are both noted on his table in a 9.8 grade. Have we now concluded that CGC has "new" policies in place about grade capping at certain PQ levels? Has this been confirmed? How long before policy is changed again? I never argued that there might be grade caps, I merely dared to posit a theory, based on a very well put together table by an outside source, that "Light Tan to Cream" pages on a book isn't all that bad and may be superior to the more common "Cream-OW" books, based on a very clear paradigm that the author of that table has laid out with examples. The proof is in the pudding. And I think MRMyst was robbed on his grade based on pretty much nothing relevant or actually quantifiable. I hope it did not impact his auction result because it is a great looking book.

As for the "life expectancy" of a book, proper storage and the slabbing of the comic renders that concern rather moot. One more reason I feel way too much credibility is given to the very subjective determination of actual PQ on a book. Other than brittle pages, it just really doesn't matter that much IMHO, and even less so when it comes to rare and/or highly sought mega keys.

-J.

You can agree with this guy if you want, but I worked as a grader for CGC for over 7 years. Hopefully me being in the grading room, grading books and giving page quality assessments to over 100,000 vintage comics puts a little more faith in me than a guy on the internet with a chart. (shrug)

Those 9.8 grades you mentioned are obvious errors. Quite possibly a finalizer put in the page quality and got distracted. When he looked at the book again he forgot the bad page quality and gave the books a 9.8 based on the cover being so nice. I'd bet these books are probably Harvey file copies. It was just an error.

New grading caps for page quality will probably never be "confirmed" by CGC as they do not generally talk about their grading standards. I just happen to know what they are along with the order of page quality rankings because I was a grader there.

Hopefully this fixes some of your confusion.