• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics, TV, and movie news and rumor thread

662 posts in this topic

"Write what you know".

Sure, there are several books that center around a writer as the main character, but there are also several MORE that do not. That doesn't bother me. What bothers me is when he writes something like "From a Buick 8" - actually finishes the book (!!) - and then it dawns on him that, wait, I think I wrote this one before (Christine)!

But, hey, King's a fantastic writer, and when he's on his game there is none better. I would also say that his hits far outweigh his misses...and I know that most legendary musicians envy him in this department.

I agree his last two books 11/22/63 and The Dome have been fantastic. He has hit his grove in the last few years.

The last few chapters of 11/22/63 were fantastic I read it several times. Would love to see a movie on that book. Its got several built in audiences for it.

still need to read the Dome....I have it on my shelf (a real book). 11/22/63 looks intriguing.

I would read 11/22/63 first. I liked Dome a good amount as well; I'm always interested when King starts off with a small group of people and leaves them to their own devices.

"Write what you know".

Sure, there are several books that center around a writer as the main character, but there are also several MORE that do not. That doesn't bother me. What bothers me is when he writes something like "From a Buick 8" - actually finishes the book (!!) - and then it dawns on him that, wait, I think I wrote this one before (Christine)!

But, hey, King's a fantastic writer, and when he's on his game there is none better. I would also say that his hits far outweigh his misses...and I know that most legendary musicians envy him in this department.

I'll take Dean Koontz over Stephen King any day of the week.

I agree Dark Tower is boring as hell. I gave up.

The Stand grabbed my attention from the beginning and never let go.

That's too bad, because the 3rd and 4th books from the Dark Tower series are the best books I've ever read by King. I read the entire series twice, and once you understand the complexity of the storyline you understand why the series is a slow burn in the beginning.

still need to read the Dome....I have it on my shelf (a real book). 11/22/63 looks intriguing.

I would read 11/22/63 first. I liked Dome a good amount as well; I'm always interested when King starts off with a small group of people and leaves them to their own devices.

My ex strongly recommended 11/22/63, and she's not a King fan. The Dome was awesome, way better than The Stand.

The Dome was awesome, way better than The Stand.

Disagree. UTD was fun for the most part, but IMO the ending was incredibly lame (one of King's worst), and killed the whole book for me. Ugh.

In all honesty, I don't even think it was necessary to offer an explanation for the Dome. There is so much in the real world that goes unexplained - so why does something as momentous as the Dome require an explanation at all? The beauty of the story has so much more to do with how the inhabitants deal with the situation, than with the cause / source of the Dome.

On the other hand, if an explanation is absolutely necessary, than please, in the name of all that is holy, PLEASE don't let it suck quite so bad!

My ex strongly recommended 11/22/63, and she's not a King fan. The Dome was awesome, way better than The Stand.

:facepalm:

Dreamcatcher is very underrated, probably because of the horrible movie.

I love the book though. Highly recommended.

Dreamcatcher was good and I thought the movie was decent. It's been years since I read it, but I remember Mr. Gray would have been a very difficult character to pull off in a movie.

11/22/63 is a great book - going to read it again soon! :grin::cool:

I have to disagree as well. While I like the Dome its not going to be considered a "classic" the Stand is. The origin of the Dome was a very weak part of the story.

While at times 11/22/63 bogs down in the details of Oswald, the relationship between the main character and Saddie drives the book. I don't know how many times I read the last few chapters.

What I didn't know was King wrote an alternative ending to 11/22/63, but his son Joe convinced him to keep the one in the book.