• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men: Apocalypse set for May 27, 2016

1,618 posts in this topic

Bryan Singer Breaks Down X-MEN: APOCALYPSE Trailer; Talks Gods, Themes, Motives, & More

Speaking for the first time on Apocalypse's look, which was criticized in some circles when Entertainment Weekly unveiled his first photo a few months ago, Singer reassured fans that the larger-than-life mutant villain, played by the über-talented Oscar Isaac, would surely not disappoint: "That was a picture, and there were no visual effects. He’s a very powerful and imposing character and Oscar acts the mess out of it." Sounds good enough to me and judging by that recently released poster, he's received some welcome upgrades and looks quite a bit better in live-action. Singer also touches on why the trailer deliberately keeps Apocalypse's full appearance so obscured, except for that one solo shot near the end, wanting to shift the focus to his elaborate costume instead: "I like that you just see bits and pieces, It forces you to look at not just his face, but his costume, the scale, the strangeness, the inscription, the technology. It makes you want to lean around the corner to get a better look."

And yet so many jumped to conclusions this was a remake of the Power Rangers.

(:

I thought that the Thanos CGI was a bit weak as well. Ronan looked cooler in GoTG IMHO.

That being said, this movie looks like it will be a fun action flick. It will hopefully do well at the box office so Fox expands the X-universe further on the big screen and TV.

Edited by kimik

I thought that the Thanos CGI was a bit weak as well. Ronan looked cooler in GoTG IMHO.

That being said, this movie looks like it will be a fun action flick. It will hopefully do well at the box office so Fox expands the X-universe further on the big screen and TV.

That could be cool - I hate to say I'm still cynical and am holding out for one of these X-Movies to be the first to bomb and finally open the door for Fox to call time and have the rights go back to Marvel.

I wouldn't lose faith yet in the X-franchise at Fox. And with Apocalypse, with the actor being a fan along with Bryan Singer I can't see them hosing this character.

Oscar Isaac Talks Comic Book Inspiration And More For X-MEN: APOCALYPSE

As for what's inspired his take on Apocalypse, it sounds like there will be something for everyone:

"Depends which comic you are talking about. There’s X-Factor, there’s X-Men, there’s The Age of Apocalypse, there’s the animated series, there’s X-Men: Evolution, so when someone says Apocalypse without referring a comic book, it’s a very general question. They may want to state which is their Apocalypse first. He’s definitely not going to be everyone’s favorite version of Apocalypse, but he’s my favorite version of Apocalypse. It’s something from the 80s mixed in with something new. They either create a backstory that he was this mutant from Ancient Egypt that found this technology and they explore that story or they send him to another universe where he’s more powerful than he’s ever been. He’s turned all these other X-Men into villains. There are different ways that artists and creative people get the chance to explore his story on a massive scale if they do. In this one, Bryan Singer and Simon Kinberg took the inspiration from many different sources, many different versions of Apocalypse throughout the ages and found the one that we thought was the most interesting."

"I love Apocalypse. I grew up collecting X-Factor. I remember when the first comic book came out, and for me, especially because I grew up in a religious household, I knew about the book of revelations, the second coming, the Apocalypse, and then you see this comic book character that is supposed to embody all of these ideas. For some people they just thought he was this big blue guy and it was survival of the fittest, but for me, that was less interesting. The most interesting part for me was the Biblical aspect and end of the world and the revelation of the way things were before."

Here's hoping that Apocalypse is as intimidating and imposing as the trailer perpetuates him to be. We've yet to see a legit credible villain in any comic films really that pose a serious threat to the good guys.

Remember that first AoU trailer? Ultron with that line about no strings gave shills then he caught is arse beat all in and around the third act.