• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #1 Club
7 7

1,815 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2021 at 4:46 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

On that 2.0? Can we talk about that a minute?

our collective shock and awe has so far been confined to a thread with “Heritage” in the title, so I think it appropriate we take the matter up here. I think everyone on this thread already values Bat 1 highly, but still.

$220k for a 2.0? 

is this a bubble? Is this sustainable? What is the future for Bat 1?

It is one of those super few books that have transcended the hobby. The cover is iconic, its everywhere.

and in terms of content bat 1 is second to none!

On 9/12/2021 at 10:48 PM, Mr bla bla said:

It is one of those super few books that have transcended the hobby. The cover is iconic, its everywhere.

and in terms of content bat 1 is second to none!

Relatively speaking, imagine how many times you could put together a small stack (or even less than a handful) of other books from this auction which equaled the 220K the Batman 1 got, without including a single book that anybody outside the hobby would even recognize as a comic book, let alone recognize the actual book itself, or any of the characters within it.  So is a Batman 1 "just good" condition worth as much as (insert names and grades of a couple esoteric books that together brought the same money)? 

Any guesses as to where this CGC 8.0 graded Larson copy of Bat 1 will finished up at by the time it's all said and done tomorrow night:  :popcorn:

https://goldinauctions.com/1940_D_C__Comics__Batman___1___1st_Appearance_of_T-LOT89561.aspx

1940 D.C. Comics "Batman" #1 - 1st Appearance of The Joker and Catwoman - Hugo Strange Appearance - One Of The Most Iconic Covers of The Golden Age! - CGC 8.0 with "WHITE PAGES"

Already sitting at a hammer bid of $1.01M or at a total of $1,212,000 with the 20% BP juice added in there.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

So, looks like this is already a record for a CGC 8.0 graded Larson copy of Bat 1at $1,212,000 with still a day to go, as the non-pedigree copy hammered in a CC Event Auction back in April of this year at $1,050,000 for a final price of $1,207,500 with the 15% BP juice added in.  (thumbsu

Looks like the prices on Batman 1 have gone up sharply over the past few years as this same Larson copy of Bat 1 was sold back in December of 2016 at a CC Event Auction for only  $365,854.  While another CGC 8.0 non-pedigree copy of Bat 1 that had sold for only $175,365 back in April of 2012 at CC came back into the marketplace through CC once again in September of 2019 at a very profitable $498K price point.  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/18/2021 at 8:48 AM, lou_fine said:

So, looks like this is already a record for a CGC 8.0 graded Larson copy of Bat 1at $1,212,000 with still a day to go, as the non-pedigree copy hammered in a CC Event Auction back in April of this year at $1,050,000 for a final price of $1,207,500 with the 15% BP juice added in.  (thumbsu

Looks like the prices on Batman 1 have gone up sharply over the past few years as this same Larson copy of Bat 1 was sold back in December of 2016 at a CC Event Auction for only  $365,854.  While another CGC 8.0 non-pedigree copy of Bat 1 that had sold for only $175,365 back in April of 2012 at CC came back into the marketplace through CC once again in September of 2019 at a very profitable $498K price point.  :applause:

Yup. I just saw there was a slight plod bat 1 at CC that recently went for almost 200K.

Thats pretty aggressive 😳

On 9/18/2021 at 5:23 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

That’s a good page. We have been put on high alert that we’ve not yet heard the last of the dastardly Joker

Joker is hands down the best (ie most insane) villain among’em all. Neck to neck with the Kirbys Darkseid bad arrsh imho.

Marvel has the best heroes. (Ok Batman though besting them all). DC has the best villains. I wonder when we get the inevitable merge? 

Edited by Mr bla bla

On 9/18/2021 at 7:33 AM, Mr bla bla said:

Yup. I just saw there was a slight plod bat 1 at CC that recently went for almost 200K.

Thats pretty aggressive 😳

Do you have a link for this sales result since I can't seem to find it in their CC archives?  ???

On 9/18/2021 at 10:58 AM, Mr bla bla said:
On 9/18/2021 at 10:43 AM, lou_fine said:

Do you have a link for this sales result since I can't seem to find it in their CC archives?  ???

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/922298

My bad as I was reading too fast and looked under there 2.0 graded copies for a PLOD instead of the ones for the 7.5 grade.  :facepalm:

On 9/19/2021 at 12:42 AM, Mr bla bla said:

Well the Goldin Bat 1 went for 1,5 mill. 

Actually, close to $1.5M with the BP juice in there, but not quite as per a post of mines from yesterday in another thread here:  (thumbsu

On 9/18/2021 at 7:41 PM, Aman619 said:

Lots are closing…. I for one don’t like this extended bidding format.  Batman 1 is at 1.2 plus 20%. Not bad…

On 9/18/2021 at 9:03 PM, lou_fine said:

Yeah, looks like this is where it finished up at in terms of a $1.2M hammer price for a final price of $1.44M including the 20% BP juice.  (thumbsu

Although I am sure the Larson pedigree bumped this copy up a bit, but if this is indeed the new representative price for a CGC 8.0 graded copy of Bat 1, it leaves me wondering what the lowest grade would be for a copy to cross the 7-figure mark?  hm

Would a CGC 7.0 graded copy be able to hit the million mark, or would it have to be at least a CGC 7.5 grade in order to do it? (shrug)