• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #1 Club
7 7

1,815 posts in this topic

On 9/21/2021 at 10:18 AM, batman_fan said:

Photos up now.

Looks decent.  There are too many Bat 1's in circulation.  Takes all the fun out of this historic book IMO.  Is that a second Cap 1 Promise Book up for auction or is it the one from the first auction relished ? (another mega key with too many in circulation)

On 9/21/2021 at 12:17 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

The 2.0 Bat 1 in the last Heritage auction went for $220k. It had better page quality and eye appeal. So I guess $180k for this one, if not for the Promise pedigree. And it remains to be seen IMO whether the pedigree helps, hurts, or has no effect 

what do you guys think?

I think it'll be right around 200k; the weaker eye appeal will drag it down some, but not significantly.

On 9/21/2021 at 11:17 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

The 2.0 Bat 1 in the last Heritage auction went for $220k. It had better page quality and eye appeal. So I guess $180k for this one, if not for the Promise pedigree. And it remains to be seen IMO whether the pedigree helps, hurts, or has no effect 

what do you guys think?

Less.  I don't think the Promise Pedigree will make a difference at all

On 9/21/2021 at 9:17 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

what do you guys think?

On 9/21/2021 at 11:00 AM, Chicago Boy said:

Less.  I don't think the Promise Pedigree will make a difference at all

Well, based upon the crazy prices that we have seen for most of the Promise books so far, this would be one of the rare exceptions to the case then.  

Edited by lou_fine

I wonder why so much foxing and or staining on that Promise Bat 1. Considering most of the books from his collection were 8.0's or better and all very clean. Maybe it was stored in a different place.

That last Bat 1 2.0 that went for 222,000 was about as nice a 2.0 as you could hope to see, even with a little tape inside. This Promise 2.0 will probably sell for about the same or dare I say a little less. Sooner or later this stuff has got to start slowing down.

On 9/22/2021 at 10:47 PM, Professor K said:

I wonder why so much foxing and or staining on that Promise Bat 1. Considering most of the books from his collection were 8.0's or better and all very clean. Maybe it was stored in a different place.

How you take care of books when you are 10-12 is very different than how you take care of books when you are 18-20.

On 9/23/2021 at 3:25 AM, Crowzilla said:

How you take care of books when you are 10-12 is very different than how you take care of books when you are 18-20.

Yes thats the first thing I thought. In 1940 he was probably no more than 10 years old (Sad thinking about it now). I was thinking more of the foxing than overall condition. I don't blame him for handling the Bat 1 a lot.  But then I thought foxing takes many years to form, I guess it can form in 10 years but it's usually longer. This Bat 1 is no more than 10 years older than the youngest book in the collection and that shouldnt make much difference in 2020. Just thinking why one book would fox up while the others stayed so pure. 

No big deal really, just something I noticed. Guess I watched too much Columbo, always trying to tie up those loose ends. Or Socretes, always asking "why?"......which is why they killed him I suppose.

On 9/23/2021 at 1:44 PM, Professor K said:

Yes thats the first thing I thought. In 1940 he was probably no more than 10 years old (Sad thinking about it now). I was thinking more of the foxing than overall condition. I don't blame him for handling the Bat 1 a lot.  But then I thought foxing takes many years to form, I guess it can form in 10 years but it's usually longer. This Bat 1 is no more than 10 years older than the youngest book in the collection and that shouldnt make much difference in 2020. Just thinking why one book would fox up while the others stayed so pure. 

No big deal really, just something I noticed. Guess I watched too much Columbo, always trying to tie up those loose ends. Or Socretes, always asking "why?"......which is why they killed him I suppose.

Equally odd is the rusted out staple on the Cap 1.  To me, the Cap 1 and the Bat 1 got stored differently than the 9.8 white pagers we've been seeing

i think when Lon and Ed went in, these were still on the back of the commode

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 9/23/2021 at 3:03 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Equally odd is the rusted out staple on the Cap 1.  To me, the Cap 1 and the Bat 1 got stored differently than the 9.8 white pagers we've been seeing

The Bat 2 and even the 9 have similar damage as does the Captain Marvel #1, Special Edition #1, and a few other early books.  We're still only 30%(ish) of the way into the collection. And it seems that the issues he got when he first started were well loved and read by a much younger person than just a few years later. Most likely we will see more books from the 1940 and 41 period that are more heavily worn than 42-43, and then by 44ish he really starts taking care of them. Makes sense to me, I first started buying back issues (for more than cover price) right around my 10th birthday and even though I thought I was taking care of them, there is a big difference between how those books look (the few I still have) and how ones I purchased at  ages 14 and 15 look.