• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #1 Club
7 7

1,815 posts in this topic

On 9/23/2021 at 10:45 PM, Crowzilla said:

I first started buying back issues (for more than cover price) right around my 10th birthday and even though I thought I was taking care of them, there is a big difference between how those books look (the few I still have) and how ones I purchased at  ages 14 and 15 look.

When I was 10-years-old, I was looking forward to all the pages in my books yellowing because that would mean they were really old.  

Edited by nearmint

On 9/29/2021 at 10:32 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Reading thru old threads and found this:

CBD6B7EE-87EE-4A5B-BFFE-2C4D07561D88.jpeg

I had a chance to by the D ick Sprang file copy of Batman 1.  What is funny about it is it was missing a piece in the same location as the Bob Kane copy.  Maybe not quite as wide and a little longer.  I kick myself for passing on it.

On 9/30/2021 at 4:30 PM, batman_fan said:

I had a chance to by the D ick Sprang file copy of Batman 1.  What is funny about it is it was missing a piece in the same location as the Bob Kane copy.  Maybe not quite as wide and a little longer.  I kick myself for passing on it.

Actually you talked about it 15 years ago in this old thread. Don't go read it now;  it'll only depress you further.

Something tells me its more than just you and me wishing we had a hot tub time machine to undo our regrets.

On 9/30/2021 at 3:44 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Actually you talked about it 15 years ago in this old thread. Don't go read it now;  it'll only depress you further.

Something tells me its more than just you and me wishing we had a hot tub time machine to undo our regrets.

If it hadn’t have been missing that piece I would have bought it.  It had tanning interior covers.  D ick was living in AZ at the time and the owner of All About Books and Comics got it from him.

On 9/30/2021 at 2:48 PM, batman_fan said:

If it hadn’t have been missing that piece I would have bought it.  It had tanning interior covers.  D ick was living in AZ at the time and the owner of All About Books and Comics got it from him.

Well now I know why you drink :ohnoez:

jethro2.jpg

On 10/25/2021 at 1:06 AM, Monsters-n-heroes said:

Wanted to show off my newest scrap to building my Batman #1. This was found at the Kane County toy show today by a fellow golden age collector and I swapped for it. It had the dated note that had been glued to it and someone had recently removed the note and taped the cover to a newer border. I am hoping the newer tape comes off fairly easy. I will eventually send it to Kenny and get the tape removed  and ask him to leafcast a border back around it. The 2 batman cutouts on it lift up so hopefully they will come off as well.

Franken book smanken book ... I don't care ... I love finding parts!:banana:

Batman #1 outer back cover.jpg

Batman #1 inner back cover.jpg

batman #1 note stuck to frame was stuck to cover.jpg

This is so cool. Congratulations @Monsters-n-heroes

On 11/28/2021 at 8:30 PM, Professor K said:

There is a Bat 1 pg 28 up to 8,408 with a half hour to go.:ohnoez:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313753010347

edit: it was up to 8,700 but it ended at 8,408. Crazy high price. 

This was my listing.  With a few hours to go, at least five new to eBay (as in, signed up 'today'), zero feedback bidders started running the price up.  One of them ended up winning, and I'm assuming this will go unpaid.  The reason the price dropped down was because eBay kicked one of the bidders off of the site (but let the others stay on there, go figure).  I have sold pages like this many times in the past without this happening, so I'm not sure why this auction in particular was targeted like this, but it's incredibly frustrating to deal with.

On 11/28/2021 at 9:27 PM, Action252Kid said:

This was my listing.  With a few hours to go, at least five new to eBay (as in, signed up 'today'), zero feedback bidders started running the price up.  One of them ended up winning, and I'm assuming this will go unpaid.  The reason the price dropped down was because eBay kicked one of the bidders off of the site (but let the others stay on there, go figure).  I have sold pages like this many times in the past without this happening, so I'm not sure why this auction in particular was targeted like this, but it's incredibly frustrating to deal with.

Yikes! Sorry that happened! 

On 11/28/2021 at 9:27 PM, Action252Kid said:

Oh man. Yeah I saw it went up and down a few times in the last hour or two. I've said before there should be a cap on brand new e bay accounts, like 100 dollars at least for 48 hours or something. Its happened to me a few times over the years but never for this much money. If someone has ZERO feedback I usually try to contact them and if they don't reply in a day I block them, but when its last minute like that ain't much you can do. Why someone would take the time to create an account just to sabotage auctions I have no idea. By the way I've bought a few things from you over the years, you have some real nice stuff. 

On 11/28/2021 at 8:27 PM, Action252Kid said:

That's why I never auction items on Ebay. I just list my items BIN at maybe a bit higher than I expect to sell for and work my way down over a few weeks or months. Anyone buying has to pay immediately that way. I know you sell all the time with an auction format, so obviously it works for you overall, but yea, no protection at all from zero feedback bidders. It's a shame that Ebay hasn't figured out a solution to this yet after all of these years.

On 11/28/2021 at 9:51 PM, Professor K said:

Oh man. Yeah I saw it went up and down a few times in the last hour or two. I've said before there should be a cap on brand new e bay accounts, like 100 dollars at least for 48 hours or something. Its happened to me a few times over the years but never for this much money. If someone has ZERO feedback I usually try to contact them and if they don't reply in a day I block them, but when its last minute like that ain't much you can do. Why someone would take the time to create an account just to sabotage auctions I have no idea. By the way I've bought a few things from you over the years, you have some real nice stuff. 

Yes, agree they could easily institute some kind of graduated cap or make you pay some sort of deposit etc ... They just do not care overall.

On 11/29/2021 at 10:38 PM, airwalker said:

Is that the new price for 2.0 or did the pedigree status give it a bump?

Nothing to see here..................just Halperin doing his thing and moving the book back into inventory storage for future use.  lol

:jokealert: , well, at least I hope it is, but then again, you just never ever know with these things sometimes.  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

On 11/30/2021 at 12:38 AM, airwalker said:

Is that the new price for 2.0 or did the pedigree status give it a bump?

I think Halperin has successfully attracted the attention of the crypto guys, and it has served as a shot in the arm for the values of our collections.  Unfortunately, halperins success may mean I have bought my last comic. But no, the Promise 2.0 is not the only Bat 1 to have reached this height. But I think I can say it’s the ugliest copy to have done so. Here’s another 2.0 that sold for crazy money just a little bit ago . . .

409AFC6C-4899-4342-A692-2521E04220C4.jpeg

7762386D-F8EA-4752-920F-24C6A5DCDFC7.jpeg

2FB3DD43-E815-4065-86E1-0B132956239C.jpeg