• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
39 39

5,931 posts in this topic

On 8/4/2022 at 2:38 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I could be thinking of someone else, but aren't they notorious for asking super high prices? hm

Not sure.

Anyone have any thoughts, musings, predictions on Suspense Comics 3? Seems like a rarity when it even comes up for sale. One of my all-time favorite covers that I likely have 99% chance of never owning due to the stratospheric price ($21k for a 1.0 four years ago, I believe). Would love to hear discussion on this book.

0DA95FD6-B6F8-4469-8A5D-CB23B7C1EA81.jpeg

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 8/5/2022 at 2:31 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Anyone have any thoughts, musings, predictions on Suspense Comics 3? Seems like a rarity when it even comes up for sale. One of my all-time favorite covers that I likely have 99% chance of never owning due to the stratospheric price ($21k for a 1.0 four years ago, I believe). Would love to hear discussion on this book.

0DA95FD6-B6F8-4469-8A5D-CB23B7C1EA81.jpeg

By far, without a doubt, one of the coolest GA books - ANY copy with the front cover will have insane heat in this market. Watch out!

On 8/5/2022 at 4:11 PM, RedGiant said:

Is that copy coming to auction?  It’s not a Cole cover but rumor is he did the colors. 

I did not know that (the label was too small for me to read). Now I see it's Alex Schomberg - crazy those two were on that title at the same time. It totally has the Cole color scheme. I have it on my watchlist for CLink, HA and CC - nothing coming up, and I don't think there's been one that has turned up in awhile.

On 8/5/2022 at 5:31 PM, Dr. Balls said:

One of my all-time favorite covers that I likely have 99% chance of never owning due to the stratospheric price ($21k for a 1.0 four years ago, I believe). Would love to hear discussion on this book.

I empathize.  But there could be consolation in Suspense Comics #1! 

image.thumb.jpeg.7a7d720a5dc43a1927b1cbda2d929c11.jpeg

With its L. B. Cole art and Quinlan cover, it is a cool book regardless but also as a SusCom3 alternative.  Its bondage/torture cover appears to have been a prototype of sorts for Schomburg's SusCom3 cover, with similar moon-lit sky overseeing a cult ritual involving robed figures and a bound (blonde?) beauty and a dude in the top left of the scene poised to be the hero (one better-equipped than the other!).  SusCom #1 is unique with its looming demon statue and gal threatened with a hot branding iron instead of Schomburg's knife.  It could ease (if not entirely abate) any longing for a SusCom1.  Or maybe not.   

Edited by Pantodude

On 8/4/2022 at 2:38 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I could be thinking of someone else, but aren't they notorious for asking super high prices? hm

It's Mark WIlson's kids website.  He said he just prices based on feeling basically  

On 8/7/2022 at 5:10 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Just picked up this in the wild from a local shop. Super cool find!

2F2DBEFE-8C16-4244-8CF6-BD026D207B0E.jpeg

This cover is really cool, and I'm a HUGE LB Cole fan....    but it's interesting how the shadows go down but the light source points up.  Love how he worked in those bright blue / yellow / red colors into the coffin as well.  Great stuff!  

On 8/11/2022 at 11:38 AM, pmpknface said:

This cover is really cool, and I'm a HUGE LB Cole fan....    but it's interesting how the shadows go down but the light source points up.  Love how he worked in those bright blue / yellow / red colors into the coffin as well.  Great stuff!  

Oh yeah great point with the lighting/shadow! Also, for some reason I thought the guy's head was severed when I first looked at it. Didn't realize till later his neck was just hidden by his hand and that sheet lol.