• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,910 posts in this topic

On 10/21/2022 at 10:43 AM, pmpknface said:

It's a killer cover, and would be even better if Cole had the upper 1/3 of the cover to play with!  

That upper 1/3rd was what was usually visible at the newsstand - EC covers are another example of art that would have been even better if they used the whole thing. Marvel Mystery amd most GA DC books also. Interesting that many Superhero books didn't bother and had art that went all the way up :shiftyeyes:

On 10/21/2022 at 10:49 AM, Qua-Brot said:

That upper 1/3rd was what was usually visible at the newsstand - EC covers are another example of art that would have been even better if they used the whole thing. Marvel Mystery amd most GA DC books also. Interesting that many Superhero books didn't bother and had art that went all the way up :shiftyeyes:

Yea, just an idea....  it may have made it easier for the publisher as it was common for sellers to mail back just the cover titles for refunds back then.  Plus it was likely a stock piece that they could copy over and over for each cover.  Their convenience was our loss!  :( 

On 11/15/2022 at 11:22 PM, brumil190 said:

I have always loved this cover along with all the other classics.

20221115_221150.thumb.jpg.e2bc38f2d591bef42aa3f5c275f4867a.jpg

Have show props for this especially near the holidays.

20221115_221456.thumb.jpg.441e4486b1906b5b7a86bacfa7fba8b8.jpg

Nice copies!  That HORRORS book has been a popular one lately, not all seem that nice though.  Cole's holiday covers are underrated.  Gotta love a neighborhood that has all purple roofs.  AND - Santa pimped out his sled with his name, just so everyone knows that it's his up at 'da pole.  :) 

On 11/16/2022 at 7:53 AM, pmpknface said:

Nice copies!  That HORRORS book has been a popular one lately, not all seem that nice though.  Cole's holiday covers are underrated.  Gotta love a neighborhood that has all purple roofs.  AND - Santa pimped out his sled with his name, just so everyone knows that it's his up at 'da pole.  :) 

Thanks!  Both copies present very well for mid grade.  It's hard to go wrong with any of Cole's art.

On 11/15/2022 at 8:22 PM, brumil190 said:

I have always loved this cover along with all the other classics.

20221115_221150.thumb.jpg.e2bc38f2d591bef42aa3f5c275f4867a.jpg

Have show props for this especially near the holidays.

20221115_221456.thumb.jpg.441e4486b1906b5b7a86bacfa7fba8b8.jpg

Given the choice of only one of those I would take the Holiday hands down. One of my favorite Cole covers. Black cover with the snow falling, the border and such a great image.

The Holiday run is just beautiful. Pretty much every one is spectacular. Sadly, they usually get overshadowed by the other genres he illustrated. 

Edited by Robot Man

On 11/17/2022 at 9:25 AM, Robot Man said:

Given the choice of only one of those I would take the Holiday hands down. One of my favorite Cole covers. Black cover with the snow falling, the border and such a great image.

The Holiday run is just beautiful. Pretty much every one is spectacular. Sadly, they usually get overshadowed by the other genres he illustrated. 

Agreed. That is what makes Cole an all time great.  His illustrations are consistently amazing across all the genres. The art and coloring is so vivid that it jumps off the page and grabs your attention.