• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,910 posts in this topic

On 8/21/2022 at 5:28 PM, drbanner said:

Here's a better example...everyone was shocked when the 5.5 Mask 1 sold for an eye-opening $24,000 back in Nov, 2019, and then sold again 4 months ago for the exact same price.

1464372882_Mask1.thumb.jpg.968b86fa5b7e9c78ca3f9df35b1b7f70.jpg

Just saying, if you’re looking for I guess more prominent L.B.’s, you’ll see stuff like this Thrilling Crime #49 more than the example you found. Once again, will not deny there are outliers like that Mask 1. Certainly a weak sale in 2022, or maybe that 2019 was just super strong at the time 🤷‍♂️

3B3DBDA0-7D6A-4ACE-942C-1B0144D3E493.jpeg

26486C82-2277-4626-9378-58FAB3CA7724.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 8/21/2022 at 8:36 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Outliers occur, no doubt about it. I’d say when push comes to shove though, I’d find more examples of bigger increases from 2018 to 2022, then examples of that 👍

Nothing stays hot forever, but the L. B. Cole books haven't cooled off yet.

When a book gets hot, it seems like people don't pay much attention to whether the book is common or rare, and they'll compete for every copy that pops ups. As soon as a book starts to cool off, there are more sellers than buyers, and prices can drop fast, especially on lower grade copies.

Most of L. B. Cole's books are too common for the current prices to last. A few might be rare in high grade, but I can't think of any that are rare in mid-grade. I used to think that Suspense #4 was on the scarce side, but the strong prices have brought quite a few copies out of the woodwork.

On 9/20/2022 at 3:21 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

When a book gets hot, it seems like people don't pay much attention to whether the book is common or rare, and they'll compete for every copy that pops ups. As soon as a book starts to cool off, there are more sellers than buyers, and prices can drop fast, especially on lower grade copies.

Most of L. B. Cole's books are too common for the current prices to last. A few might be rare in high grade, but I can't think of any that are rare in mid-grade. I used to think that Suspense #4 was on the scarce side, but the strong prices have brought quite a few copies out of the woodwork.

Redbeard turned me on to Leonard’s work back the the early ‘80’s. He even sold me both Masks and some others. I started grabbing as many as possible. Then all of a sudden, they were “discovered” and the prices started to rise dramatically. So I cooled off and bought Nedors which were real cheap then. After a while, Nedors went up and Cole books cooled off quite a bit so I started buying again. Then, they took off again and have never cooled off since. I’m pretty much priced out now.

To be honest, other than the covers I find them quite boring once you open them up. There are high spots like the Disbrow stuff. I like contents as well as covers so most still leave me flat.

If you have ever seen any of his original art, you might find his line art is rather average. What sets him above is his design and master of color. His books must have just jumped right off the rack! 

On 9/20/2022 at 3:21 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

No I hear ya, at auction it definitely seems like they have been sold more and more. Makes sense since prices have spiked the last few years. I think it's safe to say they are still maybe relatively rare books, and as you mentioned considerably rare in higher grade, or even starting at higher mid grade.

On 8/5/2022 at 5:31 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Anyone have any thoughts, musings, predictions on Suspense Comics 3? Seems like a rarity when it even comes up for sale. One of my all-time favorite covers that I likely have 99% chance of never owning due to the stratospheric price ($21k for a 1.0 four years ago, I believe). Would love to hear discussion on this book.

0DA95FD6-B6F8-4469-8A5D-CB23B7C1EA81.jpeg

Maybe my all time favorite cover. Just incredible

That is a really cool cover. All the people from the book coming to life. I found this description:

When Gram finds an old patchwork quilt in the attic she uses it to tell stories of long ago to Patches. In the first, a young boy warns General Washington about two redcoats attempting to infiltrate his ranks.