• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
39 39

5,931 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2024 at 6:20 PM, BoomCity said:

New addition to my sci fi LB Cole collection! A nice mix of sci fi and toe code. One of his more detailed covers in my opinion. I love the colour scheme here. Felt like I was seeing this pop up a bit recently but the census is still low. Decided it was best to grab this now before an impending dry spell of copies being available. 

IMG_0031.jpeg

This is a great one.  If not for the sci-fi monster cover, then certainly for the "Tree of Death!"  ;) 

On 1/20/2024 at 7:54 AM, pmpknface said:

....If not for the sci-fi monster cover, then certainly for the "Tree of Death!"  ;) 

I think Blue Bolt can handle this. Looks like it's down to just a few deathy branches.

On 1/20/2024 at 8:56 AM, Point Five said:

I think Blue Bolt can handle this. Looks like it's down to just a few deathy branches.

One of my several near death experiences was from a big falling tree during a freak wind storm once. Missed me by about 20 feet.  But that's got nothing to do with comics.

The thing that always stood out to me on that book is the Blazing Death frame.  Blazing Death, sounds gruesome. 

On 1/21/2024 at 11:50 AM, Robot Man said:

Fun,lower grade copy of this Cole classic. Never owned one. Cheap at the toy show. 

IMG_8107.jpeg

Goods stuff!  I love this book.  Can't beat the colors!  Only 11 on the census.

On 1/21/2024 at 1:04 PM, WolverineX said:

Hard to say. A 2.5 went for 4,080 in January of 23 also on HA. Compared to that 7,200 for a nice looking 4.0 ain't bad I guess. I thought I've seen it come around more than this list shows but I must have been hallucinating.

Opera Snapshot_2024-01-21_145753_gocollect.com.png

On 1/21/2024 at 2:58 PM, Professor K said:

Hard to say. A 2.5 went for 4,080 in January of 23 also on HA. Compared to that 7,200 for a nice looking 4.0 ain't bad I guess. I thought I've seen it come around more than this list shows but I must have been hallucinating.

I'm pretty sure the 3.0 from $2014 was my copy.  

On 1/21/2024 at 2:58 PM, Professor K said:

book seems to be pretty rare. Look at the listing.  Is this correct?  Has there really been no copy for sell publicly since 2014?

. L. B. Cole begins his run of covers on this title with this fantastic bondage cover. While Alex Schomburg's cover for Suspense Comics #3 often garners great acclaim, we think this very early L. B. Cole cover is a classic in its own right. Mr. Nobody watches as a hero saves a beautiful redhead from becoming a human sacrifice for dagger-wielding hooded cultists on Cole's fabulous cover.
While Overstreet lists issue #3 as "scarce", there are actually fewer CGC-graded copies of this issue, with only 23 Universal copies currently listed on the CGC Census. As well, per GPAnalysis, there have not been any public sales of CGC Universal copies above 2.5 since 2014! The interior features a Green Mask appearance and art by Don Rico, Nina Albright, Jack Alderman, and others. Overstreet 2023 VG 4.0 value = $652. CGC census 12/23: 2 in 4.0, 8 higher.

Edited by WolverineX

I was mistaken, mine is a 3.5. I think I got mine for a bit less too. It's been a decade if have to check my DB.

image.png.091b0912b1883a02c72f2d25f3695c4c.png

On 1/21/2024 at 4:35 PM, WolverineX said:

book seems to be pretty rare. Look at the listing.  Is this correct?  Has there really been no copy for sell publicly since 2014?

. L. B. Cole begins his run of covers on this title with this fantastic bondage cover. While Alex Schomburg's cover for Suspense Comics #3 often garners great acclaim, we think this very early L. B. Cole cover is a classic in its own right. Mr. Nobody watches as a hero saves a beautiful redhead from becoming a human sacrifice for dagger-wielding hooded cultists on Cole's fabulous cover.
While Overstreet lists issue #3 as "scarce", there are actually fewer CGC-graded copies of this issue, with only 23 Universal copies currently listed on the CGC Census. As well, per GPAnalysis, there have not been any public sales of CGC Universal copies above 2.5 since 2014! The interior features a Green Mask appearance and art by Don Rico, Nina Albright, Jack Alderman, and others. Overstreet 2023 VG 4.0 value = $652. CGC census 12/23: 2 in 4.0, 8 higher.

Well, it's the caviat of, " CGC Universal copies above 2.5".

There was a 4.0 restored a 2.5 and a few ungraded or below that.

On 1/21/2024 at 4:54 PM, pmpknface said:

I was mistaken, mine is a 3.5. I think I got mine for a bit less too. It's been a decade if have to check my DB.

image.png.091b0912b1883a02c72f2d25f3695c4c.png

Well, it's the caviat of, " CGC Universal copies above 2.5".

There was a 4.0 restored a 2.5 and a few ungraded or below that.

gotcha,  it's amazing how all of these have some sort of restoration.   CT, glue, tape etc...

On 1/21/2024 at 9:18 PM, WolverineX said:

gotcha,  it's amazing how all of these have some sort of restoration.   CT, glue, tape etc...

The Suspense run is known for having bad page quality as far as the covers go.  Think of Marvel chipping x10 for a golden age book.  Add into that the scarcity of many of these and you get really HTF books.  It's been a while since I looked but I believe the #4 is a 7 on the Gerber scale (for what that's worth).  I think there are more #3's on the census than the #4 too.  

On 1/21/2024 at 10:24 PM, pmpknface said:

The Suspense run is known for having bad page quality as far as the covers go.  Think of Marvel chipping x10 for a golden age book.  Add into that the scarcity of many of these and you get really HTF books.  It's been a while since I looked but I believe the #4 is a 7 on the Gerber scale (for what that's worth).  I think there are more #3's on the census than the #4 too.  

that is correct.  

Cross-posting from the "Crime"  thread.

I bought these foreign crime books years ago and I'm not sure what they are. The interiors are black and white, and the covers are the same paper as the interiors.

The #7 is my favorite with the knife to the throat, and the woman in the foreground. The last book (#11) looks very much like an L. B. Cole cover to me. Does anyone have any background info on these books?

Crime Casebook #2.jpg

Crime Casebook #7.jpg

Crime Casebook #11.jpg