• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
39 39

5,910 posts in this topic

Thanks for your work on the LB Cole "library", ckb! No big deal, but a few of the scans I posted here last week weren't added...Power 4, upgrades for Terrors 21 & Startling 14 I believe. Other than that, looking great!

Yeah, you know, I had them in there, and I got screwed up by losing my ability to edit my message. I made the mistake of editing on the board directly, instead of my text copy. I will get them fixed tomorrow, thanks for pointing it out.

Oh, and I can't post without filling in a hole, can I???? :-)

All-Famous Police Cases 16

1239593-afp16.jpg

1239593-afp16.jpg.7192c2e4163eaf377199fe514e8b9f2b.jpg

I love that All-Famous Police Cases 16 cover. Last night I took pics of ALL my Cole books to start posting pics... then left the camera at home. foreheadslap.gif

Hopefully next week I'll remember and maybe post 1 per day. I've got over 30 of 'em, most are mid-grade, and they are a wide variety of comics. I'll make May LB Cole Month!

I love that All-Famous Police Cases 16 cover. Last night I took pics of ALL my Cole books to start posting pics... then left the camera at home. foreheadslap.gif

Hopefully next week I'll remember and maybe post 1 per day. I've got over 30 of 'em, most are mid-grade, and they are a wide variety of comics. I'll make May LB Cole Month!

Can't wait. Be good to fill some holes in the library. Thanks for posting your list of LB Cole work, it helped me fill in some things I was unaware of. There were a few places where I think you got Jack and LB mixed up, but that's easy to do just looking at the information in the guide.

Also, I'm pretty sure you've bought a few of your books from me at the Boston show. Be great to see them again. I miss them! :-)

Sounds great! thumbsup2.gif

Cole Volume 1, Number 6

Accepted Reprint #7 actually! But that's OK! Another two series to look for covers for the library thread. I had no idea he did work for Gilberton.

I went to the Motor City Con this weekend, and pickings were VERY slim. I only bought 5 comics total, and I felt lucky to come away with even one Cole book. This was the only one I saw that I felt was in decent shape and priced reasonaby. Thanks to Harley Yee.

BBWT114.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif Have you read it yet? Great stories!

Not yet, though I did read a story from Terrors of the Jungle 5 a few days ago and it was much better than expected.

Great looking book!

LB Cole purchased the inventory of Fox publishing, so there'll be a lot of Fox jungle / good girl stories buried in these issues. Because Fox used to put the first page of the first story on the inside cover of the comic, you'll often find the Star version of the first story missing the title page. With all of the good girl art and the violence, I don't know that you'll notice, but I figured I'd point it out.

Yeah. A great looking book and a reasonably priced book from Harley - Wow. Very nice book. Much better than my most recent Cole book - Contact 6 with Kurtzman on Black Venus inside - Another case of how many details on Cole covers one can miss until book in hand is the wavy effect for the props on the plane the closest to us. I never caught that / it never clicked with me until now.

1243324-Contact6s.jpg

1243324-Contact6s.jpg.917b1115945781c340379eb417fb3845.jpg

Yeah. A great looking book and a reasonably priced book from Harley - Wow. Very nice book. Much better than my most recent Cole book - Contact 6 with Kurtzman on Black Venus inside - Another case of how many details on Cole covers one can miss until book in hand is the wavy effect for the props on the plane the closest to us. I never caught that / it never clicked with me until now.

1243324-Contact6s.jpg

I know how important it is for you to complete your "Month" set but I had no idea that was a Mar 52 book. tongue.gif

That is very cool cover. It's another example of how LB Cole felt he could use a black background to "punch a hole" in the usual newstand display of comic covers to make his stand out. And what striking colors for the airplane and ship!

Can't wait. Be good to fill some holes in the library. Thanks for posting your list of LB Cole work, it helped me fill in some things I was unaware of. There were a few places where I think you got Jack and LB mixed up, but that's easy to do just looking at the information in the guide.

Also, I'm pretty sure you've bought a few of your books from me at the Boston show. Be great to see them again. I miss them! :-)

Yeah, I may have added in a few that didnt' belong, but it's still a good list to start with. I'm sure they are easy to pick off.

Yeah, I rememeber ya! Good books too! smile.gif

Well, I took pics of a butt-load of my LB Cole book and most of them didn't come out as well as I'd have liked. But this one came out pretty well, and I'm almost certain that it's not up here yet.

This one has a "classic" notation and was one of my 1st: Target Comics V. 9 #12

1243756-Target_v9_12.jpg.31e29d773d82462ca3c596ff3b30589b.jpg

Agreed. I love the way they broke out the "Mr Mystery" font for "revenge".

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I get you on the font, but what's the story on the "revenge"? confused-smiley-013.gif