• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,910 posts in this topic

Here's Popular Teenagers, Secrets of Love #15! I love the rich colors on this one, plus the cool snowflake pattern and unusual composition. The OS Guide also lists this book as having possible Wood art on one story, which was an added incentive for me to track the book down, but except for the lead Disbrow story the art inside is horrible. If Wood worked on one of these stories, he sure didn't stay up all night on it...

1270224-popu15.jpg

1270224-popu15.jpg.df8c9902d6c15cb0fd0361b3cf8cf7ac.jpg

Popular Teenagers, Secrets of Love #16. Don't know if it comes across onscreen, but the color strike on this one is just incredible...that hot reddish-pink color almost looks fluorescent. I can only imagine how nice a high-grade copy would look....this is the only copy of this issue I've ever seen before. (Anyone else?)

1270231-popu16.jpg

1270231-popu16.jpg.e46a13863c069fdc049959b876950ff0.jpg

Here's Popular Teenagers, Secrets of Love #15! I love the rich colors on this one, plus the cool snowflake pattern and unusual composition. The OS Guide also lists this book as having possible Wood art on one story, which was an added incentive for me to track the book down, but except for the lead Disbrow story the art inside is horrible. If Wood worked on one of these stories, he sure didn't stay up all night on it...

I picked up that one at the first WW Philly Con a few years ago. Great cover! The purple pulled me right in!

So I get this in today and right away I am pisssed off because the colors looked a LOT brighter in the scan from jscomics, and I know damn well they did it on purpose. But I figure the book is nice structurally, so I will keep it. I pop the slab and open the book. What do I find? A quarter sized water stain on the inside front cover. Not sure if CGC missed it (the book got an 8.0), or how it got there, but I am NOT happy. 893censored-thumb.gif

greatcomics1.jpg

Funny thing about this book... About 8-9 years ago, I was underbidder on a copy on ebay. It's before the days of slabbing, and this copy looked pretty nice on the scan. I think the seller even called it "uncirculated" Anyhow, after I lose the auction, he contacts me, and says he has another, and some other "like new" comics. He's wasn't a comic dealer, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

But I bite, and send him a check for the Great, and the Latest (2?) with B-29 the Bombadier. The books come, and they're pretty nice, so I email him and ask if he has any other copies of the Great. He asks me how many I want. I tried to find out how many he had, but he wouldn't really say. So I ordered three more. They were all really super clean copies. I sold or traded them off over the years, with the last one, slabbed at 9.4, going in the Summer 2002 Heritage auction. Anyhow, I know it's no Thing 17, but I wonder how many of these copies are out there. I should rummage through my files and see if I still have any contact information for the seller...

Nonetheless, it is a killer cover.

And finally, Startling Terror Tales #5! (Not common, but still somewhat easier to find than the two romance books.)

1270236-stt5.jpg

I have a copy of this book myself (and it's kinda hard to see in the scan) but I love the bizarre headdress the voodoo priest is wearing, looks futuristic in style.

Funny thing about this book... About 8-9 years ago, I was underbidder on a copy on ebay. It's before the days of slabbing, and this copy looked pretty nice on the scan. I think the seller even called it "uncirculated" Anyhow, after I lose the auction, he contacts me, and says he has another, and some other "like new" comics. He's wasn't a comic dealer, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

But I bite, and send him a check for the Great, and the Latest (2?) with B-29 the Bombadier. The books come, and they're pretty nice, so I email him and ask if he has any other copies of the Great. He asks me how many I want. I tried to find out how many he had, but he wouldn't really say. So I ordered three more. They were all really super clean copies. I sold or traded them off over the years, with the last one, slabbed at 9.4, going in the Summer 2002 Heritage auction. Anyhow, I know it's no Thing 17, but I wonder how many of these copies are out there. I should rummage through my files and see if I still have any contact information for the seller...

Nonetheless, it is a killer cover.

Supposedly this book was a warehouse find, but I am not sure how many saw the light of day. confused-smiley-013.gif

1270224-popu15.jpg

Very cool. I think that's the book I want for an example of Cole's romance work. I really like the snow.

1270224-popu15.jpg

Very cool. I think that's the book I want for an example of Cole's romance work. I really like the snow.

I think that cover is a must have.

I just realized that I am really drawn to covers with falling snow. It came to me as I posted a Nightmare mag with that effect in comics general.

Does anyone know of other Cole covers with falling snow?

Not Cole off the top of my head but you should keep the number 26 in mind for snow as in Battlefront 26 and Two-Fisted Tales 26 -

1270450-Snow-BattleFront26.jpg

1270450-Snow-TFT26.jpg

1270450-Snow-TFT26.jpg.74c6e04574bfda2caa3f646f99008b1e.jpg

I just realized that I am really drawn to covers with falling snow. It came to me as I posted a Nightmare mag with that effect in comics general.

You should move to Alaska and just read your comics outside.