• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,910 posts in this topic

Cheapo fleabay win at less than half guide.

totj10.jpg

Nice book. They really pulled out all the stops on the typesetting of that one, didn't they? poke2.gif

So how many do you have now? Dozen? What is the average grade?

popcorn.gif

Nice looking book.

Yours too. I love the perspective on that cover. Did you get it on eBay? Must have missed that one...

Got it from socal. I got a better deal than the web-site indicates. Yeah the scene viewed through the eyes of the killer. And love the bloody hands.

So how many do you have now? Dozen? What is the average grade?

popcorn.gif

Yeah, 12 exactly, but I found several more I am going to buy soon.

I would say 5.0, maybe 5.5, is the average. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Lowest is a 3.0, highest is an 8.0.

12 down, how many more to go? Does anyone have a count on the total number of Cole covers?

In all the articles I have read, the number is put around 1,500, which seems like WAY too many to me. I think it's probably around 300-400.

Every time I refresh the page, you've edited the # again! Stay still! 27_laughing.gif

I agree 1500 is too high...my guess would be around 500. Maybe some rainy day I'll figure it out (unless Scrooge is going to swoop in here with the exact #!). The 1500 figure might be counting oddball stuff lost to history like crossword puzzle covers and paperback book covers (he did both), but I agree it still seems too high.

Every time I refresh the page, you've edited the # again! Stay still! 27_laughing.gif

I agree 1500 is too high...my guess would be around 500. Maybe some rainy day I'll figure it out (unless Scrooge is going to swoop in here with the exact #!). The 1500 figure might be counting oddball stuff lost to history like crossword puzzle covers and paperback book covers (he did both), but I agree it still seems too high.

I orginally put 250, but went and checked the library thread and it looks more like 350. sorry.gif

I just looked too and you're right, my guess is probably too high. There's still a handful of obscure titles missing in the library thread though...Terrific Comics and Patches come to mind.

I just looked too and you're right, my guess is probably too high. There's still a handful of obscure titles missing in the library thread though...Terrific Comics and Patches come to mind.

Yeah the most glaring missing title is Terrific # 3 and # 6.

Also, there's Toytown Comics # 1 but the GCD has no scan so I can't confirm if it's indeed a Cole cover.

Same for Teen-Age Talk # 9 which is an IW reprint so it might be a recycled cover.

Inside Crime # 3 (#1) is listed as Cole in the Library thread but it's unsigned. From Fox as well, unlisted, is March of Crime # 7 (#1) and it does have the same look as the Inside Crime book.

If we count the 2 Terrific and the March of Crime as Cole cover, we have documented an exact 380 covers.

Yeah the most glaring missing title is Terrific # 3 and # 6.

Also, there's Toytown Comics # 1 but the GCD has no scan so I can't confirm if it's indeed a Cole cover.

Same for Teen-Age Talk # 9 which is an IW reprint so it might be a recycled cover.

Inside Crime # 3 (#1) is listed as Cole in the Library thread but it's unsigned. From Fox as well, unlisted, is March of Crime # 7 (#1) and it does have the same look as the Inside Crime book.

If we count the 2 Terrific and the March of Crime as Cole cover, we have documented an exact 380 covers.

I'll get on it! It's a work in progress! :-)

I'll get on it! It's a work in progress! :-)

You've done an excellent job. I only pulled the limited records from the GCD so I'm treading lightly about their ascribing covers to any one in particular. The Terrifics are a shoe-in. The others, maybe.

Plus .5 challenged me coming up with an exact # and I simply couldn't resist!