• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,910 posts in this topic

On 9/10/2023 at 11:17 AM, Darwination said:

Cole is hands down one of the top 5 geniuses of the golden age.  His sense of color is totally unique.  He puts colors together that should not go together, but they do - amazing.

Totally agree! I’ve made similar comments here before, but it happens to me with LB Cole covers more than any other collecting interest… that when I see a copy with vibrant ‘as printed’ colors, it can look like a completely different book than all the other copies I’ve seen previously, regardless of technical grade etc. It has kept the longtime quest for his books fresh and exciting.

On 9/10/2023 at 11:17 AM, Darwination said:

I've been slowly adding to a gallery of L.B. Cole digital restorations on Flickr, one of the last ones I did:

ConfessionsofLove014(1953-02.Star)coverL.B.Cole(MCSDarwinEdit).thumb.jpg.ab835404101134e80785d4e6f4caa3bd.jpg

Confessions of Love 014 (1953-02.Star) cover L.B. Cole

The rest of the gallery:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/197841258@N07/albums/72177720307794063

I've got a beat to hell copy of The Killers 1 on eBay this week, likely well below the collectors here standards.  And I'll be listing a bunch of low grade ones in the coming weeks (new to forum and am not sure of the rules on mentioning auctions and whatnot, do excuse).

Cole is hands down one of the top 5 geniuses of the golden age.  His sense of color is totally unique.  He puts colors together that should not go together, but they do - amazing.

That's really cool. The pics look great. Nice and big. Where are you getting the images from? Actually you don't have to answer that, just wondering if these are your collection. Anyway it looks great. Nice job so far, hope it keeps growing. (thumbsu

On 9/10/2023 at 4:11 PM, Point Five said:

Totally agree! I’ve made similar comments here before, but it happens to me with LB Cole covers more than any other collecting interest… that when I see a copy with vibrant ‘as printed’ colors, it can look like a completely different book than all the other copies I’ve seen previously, regardless of technical grade etc. It has kept the longtime quest for his books fresh and exciting.

I gotta start multi-quoting more I know. Yep some books are like that. Fiction House books are a good example.......well that's the obvious example. But especially with the Star Publications books. Even if you have the grade/condition you want there is always some that have better colors, often times in lower grade. Almost always. 

Fresh and Exciting. Kool and the Gang reference? 

Edited by Professor K

On 9/10/2023 at 4:46 PM, Professor K said:

That's really cool. The pics look great. Nice and big. Where are you getting the images from? Actually you don't have to answer that, just wondering if these are your collection. Anyway it looks great. Nice job so far, hope it keeps growing. (thumbsu

Thank you. I've had quite a bit of practice. 

And those who don't know me from the digital museums or other online hotspots might check out my blog which covers a wide variety of comics, pulps, magazines and other printed materials (new post just yesterday):

http://darwinscans.blogspot.com/

The Coles are a real treat, and I'll keep at it, but you might say I have a lot of irons in the fire these days.

At Flickr, I give the image source in the placard. This one was worked from this image/issue at MCS, really a great starting point as far as condition:

https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_ii/originalimage/6561128.jpg

With Cole, I'm usually working from Heritage or MyComicShop images, but I do have some issues in my collection (though I'm selling some on eBay over the next couple weeks) and much prefer to work from a high dpi scan even if that means starting with a grubbier issue.

Edited by Darwination

Terrors of the Jungle v1 21 (1953-02.Star) cover Cole (Darwin HA edit)

I added this one to my Flickr gallery tonight reworked from a previously edited Heritage image, kind of a funky jungle scene.  The lush greens and red in front and all that skin tone.  Homegirl is in bondage, there's a leopard and a tiger on either side of her, the tiger looking at the reader.  Then the swami with the fly vest has some sort of electricity or mind bolt shooting out of his forehead.  The scared looking native with the knife.  And jungle man in the leopard speedo way in back all against a magenta and purple canopy.  What was L.B. Cole smoking, anyways? :D

I do have a copy of this one

TerrorsoftheJungle21cover.thumb.jpg.4114f2d6c6ac243312c399aff22ad276.jpg

Edited by Darwination

On 9/16/2023 at 1:43 PM, Ryan. said:

Woah.

Screenshot_20230916_134302_Chrome.jpg

That poor book just can't find a good home. Like that friend you had as a kid who always had a new dog. Where did the old ones go? 8,300 on CC in Dec. 2022, 10,200 on HA in March 2022. 

If you really want to get sick look up what the previous 7.0 went for way way back in 2016. I'll just tell ya. 837.00.  Oh the pain, the pain. 

On 9/16/2023 at 8:06 PM, Professor K said:

That poor book just can't find a good home. Like that friend you had as a kid who always had a new dog. Where did the old ones go? 8,300 on CC in Dec. 2022, 10,200 on HA in March 2022. 

If you really want to get sick look up what the previous 7.0 went for way way back in 2016. I'll just tell ya. 837.00.  Oh the pain, the pain. 

Is it just me or is that a rough 7.0?

On 9/16/2023 at 9:06 PM, Professor K said:

On 9/17/2023 at 4:05 PM, manetteska said:

Is it just me or is that a rough 7.0?

I don't know, you think it's rough? It's got nice color, spine may look closer to a 6.0 than 7.0.  Nice corners. I'd say perfect wrap, and it's very clean. Back cover is as white as a white sail on a dusky sea.......and that's really white. White pages also. It's the R H stamp on the yellow rocket I find really distracting. Hard to tell if that affected the price as there aren't many recent sales in this grade range to compare it to. There are 7 -7.0's and 5 7.5's out there. I'm waiting for a 5.0 to 6.0 to come around before I go broke buying other stuff. 

On 9/17/2023 at 4:19 PM, Ryan. said:

Screenshot_20230917_152029_Chrome.jpg

Yeah that was a beauty. Looking at past sales to me it was the nicest looking copy to come around in years in any grade, other than the Promise 9.0. Maybe nicer than the Big Apple 9.2 in 2018 and definitely nicer than Mr. Berks 7.0 in 2017. after this I would think the 9.0 Promise that sold the 1st time out for 18,000 would sell for well over 20k if it ever comes around again. Seems some of the best deals in the 1st Promise auction were L.B. Covers.