• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any further info on Daredevil Netflix show?
6 6

2,037 posts in this topic

Harvey you must be so thrilled with this show. As someone who doesn't collect much DD....I love this show. You must be on cloud 9

:cloud9:

I love it! I'm trying to stretch it out and taking my time enjoying it. :)

It was fun getting up at 3AM last week to watch the first episode.

dIUbKX4l.jpg

Need a closer, fuller look. At first glance, I like the movie costume better, but that pic and the other one are so dark and incomplete that I can't really tell. Looks like they addressed the issue of his ears being covered--I think I see little vents over his ear.

Grabbed an online image an tried to brighten/adjust, pull out more detail. DD's costume has a lot going on.

And there's always a possibility it's a "Year One" 1st gen costume, might evolve along with the character and as his fame around Hell's Kitchen grows. More red areas, adding a chest insignia... Maybe.

DDnetflix.jpg

But it's the guy in the glossy skin tights that we're all fond of...like in the opening credits. Yeah, yeah, we know it impractical and doesn't translate to reality, but that's the DD I know.

DDTV_zpsvkxr3dyl.jpg

We finally watched the first two episodes tonight.

Just incredibly excellent. Tonally, atmospherically...everything was amazing.

Can't wait to see more tomorrow!

Loved how...

Battlin' Jack Murdock fought Crusher Creel in the ring.

That was a cool Easter Egg. :)

I watched the 1st 2 last night also. Another nice Easter egg when they gave Jack Murdock's weight before the fight. 164 pounds. DD 164, classic Miller cover

I think you have been playing my number game a little too much.

My wife watched the first couple episodes and really liked It so now I've got to put the brakes on and let her catch up so we can watch it together. The suspense is killing me since episode 4 was so good.

dIUbKX4l.jpg

Need a closer, fuller look. At first glance, I like the movie costume better, but that pic and the other one are so dark and incomplete that I can't really tell. Looks like they addressed the issue of his ears being covered--I think I see little vents over his ear.

Out of everything with the show - executed so well - I think the only thing that took me out of the experience was the final costume. Everything about is seems to work except the eyes, and much prefer a red lens over them (like the previous movie / comics).

It was a little jaring when I finally saw the costume reveal, suddenly the show felt cheap and like it was transitioning to the CW :D It was as if up until that point I forgot I was watching a comic book show, not jut a gritty crime drama.

they have at least a solid year to update the costume if there's pushback about the look.

it's grtitty looking, maybe the 'classic' costume just doesn't translate well to the overall feel of the tv show.

Edited by krighton

For any Netflix shows, how is it determined if they are "good enough" for another season?

Do they dive into the data enough to see X new subscribers joined in a certain time period and X/3 of them watched Daredevil and extrapolate that into DD revenue?

Or is it just the basic watch count for all subscribers? (or other?)

For any Netflix shows, how is it determined if they are "good enough" for another season?

Do they dive into the data enough to see X new subscribers joined in a certain time period and X/3 of them watched Daredevil and extrapolate that into DD revenue?

Combination of new subscribers, subscriber retention & view counts, and throwing them into some sort of algorithm, if I had to bet.

Netflix probably has projected new subscriber & subscriber retention rates that they can use as a "baseline". Add to that watch-rate tracking to determine if it's an issue of correlation or causation is probably what they look into if those "baseline" numbers get skewed up or down during a new-release period.

Edited by Doktor

Combination of new subscribers, subscriber retention & view counts, and throwing them into some sort of algorithm, if I had to bet.

Netflix probably has projected new subscriber & subscriber retention rates that they can use as a "baseline". Add to that watch-rate tracking to determine if it's an issue of correlation or causation is probably what they look into if those "baseline" numbers get skewed up or down during a new-release period.

In response to those asking about season 2: Unfortunately as it stands right now it has already been announced that season 2 a no for the time being. They are moving on to the other Marvel properties first (the next being AKA Jessica Jones, followed by Luke Cage, and lastly Iron Fist). There is talks / rumours that they want to do a Defenders show, but only if the previous four do well.

Edited by Sauce Dog

In response to those asking about season 2: Unfortunately as it stands right now it has already been announced that season 2 a no for the time being. They are moving on to the other Marvel properties first (the next being AKA Jessica Jones, followed by Luke Cage, and lastly Iron Fist). There is talks / rumours that they want to do a Defenders show, but only if the previous four do well.

A "6-episode mini-series" was included in the Marvel/Netflix contract as it was signed. To my recollection, this mini-series was not an "optional 6-episode mini-series" but just a 6-episode mini-series. Which means that, unless something monumentally flops between now & then & Netflix says "nope, we'll pass", we're getting a Defenders series. (But that would let Marvel then theoretically shop it to another network since they'd already done the groundwork on Netflix dime with the 4 lead-in series, allowing them to show it on ABC or something)

We're also getting 2 series per year as it's presently scheduled unless there's a production cluster*spoon*. DD & Jessica Jones in 2015, Luke Cage & Iron Fist in 2016, with Defenders having no set release date at this time (likely 2017 tho). Which means we may get DD Season 2 in late 2017 if everything goes well with the other 3 series & 1 mini-series.

Edited by Doktor

As much as I would love to see more of DD, I think it would be a potential mistake to shoehorn in another series.

Marvel has hugely benefited from precise planning with their arcs and releases. They have a game plan and any rocking of that boat might have consequences. I don't want to see a rushed DD 2...I want the same level of planning and love lavished on a second season, if there is to be one.

I'd also love to see a Phase II of this look like something like this:

DD S2

Heroes for Hire (Luke/Danny/Jessica) S1

Moon Knight S1 (can also substitute Punisher in if necessary)

Daughters of the Dragon S1

Midnight Sons S1 (with Blade & a Ghost Rider & maybe a few other characters)

As much as I would love to see more of DD, I think it would be a potential mistake to shoehorn in another series.

Marvel has hugely benefited from precise planning with their arcs and releases. They have a game plan and any rocking of that boat might have consequences. I don't want to see a rushed DD 2...I want the same level of planning and love lavished on a second season, if there is to be one.

2zo9enp.gif

No reason to rush.

I guess since none of us are Netflix producers or their source of $$ we'll get what we get when we get it.

I'd have to admit that once the costume came out, it kind of crossed over into the Flash & Arrow style of show (live action cartoon). But he had to have a costume, he was getting beat to death in almost every fight.

Edited by krighton

The general vibe from the showrunners was that Daredevil was already being filmed before any of the other characters was cast. Therefore while there is mention of the shared world (anem drops, setups etc), it has the least cross over and is the most stand alone.

Due to that, it is possible we might get Daredevil 2 before Defenders, but obviously its not guaranteed. The huge success that its been, I'd think there is a pretty good chance they insert DD S2 right before Defenders.

I guess since none of us are Netflix producers or their source of $$ we'll get what we get when we get it.

I'd have to admit that once the costume came out, it kind of crossed over into the Flash & Arrow style of show (live action cartoon). But he had to have a costume, he was getting beat to death in almost every fight.

Wearing a costume with some Kevlar like protection doesn't change the current show, this entire production is on a different level from those others.