• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC v. PGX?

243 posts in this topic

Not going to lie, but those slabbed vaults actually look pretty cool.. I would still prefer CGC tho.. :insane:

really? I thought they looked awful, just like pbx. cgc has the only decent looking slab imo.

I'll admit to liking the appearance of the label. Just the idea of the logo in the middle, grade on the right. I think it makes sense. In advertising, you pay a premium for right side placement. Theory being it's what people see first. So putting the grade - the most important thing - on the right seems like a good choice to me.

As for the slab itself, I cannot say. I've had no luck purchasing one. If they sell to cheap (which is the only way I wish to buy one) the two sellers I've dealt with so far don't ship. The few sellers of these books are as sketchy as the company. But then the main seller of Vault graded books on eBay is the company. Owner that is.

It goes without saying that appearance isn't the most important thing in professional grading and slabbing of books. Even PGX's most vocal critics will acknowledge they make a good slab. Appearance is just a good start.

So a month or so ago I purchased this off ebay…

UncannyX-Men141and142PGX_zps90596089.jpg

The day they came in, they were quickly put into a box and sent off to CGC. I have just seen that my submission has been graded so I believe I got about a week or so before I can see the grades. Just curious if anyone wants to potentially weigh in a guess what they will come back as. I know we all love to see PGX vs CGC grades so I thought this would be fun while I wait for them.

The were put into Quality Control yesterday...any guesses how they will turn out?

Don't you have a bigger picture? :makepoint:

Anyways my guess is 8.5 and 9.4

No, they went to CGC the day I got them. I had them just long enough to glance at them, decide not to press them, and package them up. That is the picture from the ebay ad.

Did you crack them out of the slabs? Or did you send them in still in the PGX case?

I kept them slabbed but I put a post-it note on each one asking for them to be de-slabbed for grading.

The day they came in, they were quickly put into a box and sent off to CGC. I have just seen that my submission has been graded so I believe I got about a week or so before I can see the grades. Just curious if anyone wants to potentially weigh in a guess what they will come back as. I know we all love to see PGX vs CGC grades so I thought this would be fun while I wait for them.

The were put into Quality Control yesterday...any guesses how they will turn out?

No, they went to CGC the day I got them. I had them just long enough to glance at them, decide not to press them, and package them up. That is the picture from the ebay ad.

Did you crack them out of the slabs? Or did you send them in still in the PGX case?

I kept them slabbed but I put a post-it note on each one asking for them to be de-slabbed for grading.

I have a couple of PGX slabbed books that I would like converted to CGC books, but I assumed that CGC would require that I crack them out first.

What does CGC think of this? Do they de-slab PGX books happily? Does it upset them, but they'll do it if they have to?

Just wondering because I'd rather not try to de-slab the PGX book myself.

On the other hand, does the PGX label influence CGC's ultimate grade?

Thanks.

I have a couple of PGX slabbed books that I would like converted to CGC books, but I assumed that CGC would require that I crack them out first.

What does CGC think of this? Do they de-slab PGX books happily? Does it upset them, but they'll do it if they have to?

Thanks.

CGC doesn't care.

Once the book reaches the graders, it's in a plain mylar with a barcode as the only identifying mark - the graders don't know whether it's a deslabbed PGX or CGC book, or whether it was just subbed raw.

I wonder if they deslab a PGX how many grades they will take it down..

It strictly depends on the book. My observation is that low to mid grade PGX books often drop in grade. High grade PGX books typically hold their own when regraded by CGC. Sometimes graded higher, sometimes lower, oftentimes the same. These are generalizations. Anything can happen when you cross grade.

Repeating what someone else said, the graders don't know the books family history. They are just grading a book in front of them. I believe this like I believe the sun will rise, otherwise you'd never see a formerly PGX graded book grade higher when CGC grades it.

Most people believe that CGC's restoration check is better. How that impacts you when resubmitting really depends on what you submit. Older stuff - I mean like 50+ years old - is more likely to have had something done to it. Any sort of color touch, glue or trimming to improve appearance is much less common on modern books.

Thanks.

CGC doesn't care.

Once the book reaches the graders, it's in a plain mylar with a barcode as the only identifying mark - the graders don't know whether it's a deslabbed PGX or CGC book, or whether it was just subbed raw.

I wonder how careful CGC is when they crack a book out of a PGX slab. I wonder if it is safer if I do it?

Thanks.

CGC doesn't care.

I wonder how careful CGC is when they crack a book out of a PGX slab. I wonder if it is safer if I do it?

I very much doubt CGC would willingly manhandle one of their customers books, no matter in which form it was received.

Thanks.

CGC doesn't care.

I very much doubt CGC would willingly manhandle one of their customers books, no matter in which form it was received.

I wonder if they do the peoples elbow on the pgx slab trying to deslab it. Or they do a powerbomb to the slab..

Hope not.. Wow i havent watched wrestling since i was a kid.. Geez

What is the Vault fiasco? I only heard that we don't know who they are, something else happen?

String here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7342633&fpart=44

Short version, a guy started Vault grading, and ebay listings started popping up from a seller "comicart1" selling these Vault slabbed books and claiming that they were selling for a lot more than CGC, and that the cases were superior to CGC yada yada.... Of course the sales were way under what a CGC would fetch so comicart1 would refuse to honor the sale and then relist them. After sleuthing from board members it was determined that a guy by the name of Gianni Amato was the Vault owner and that he and comicart1 were the same person. So while the website gave the impression of this major professional service, it was just a hack slabbing and selling his own books. Not very different from the PGX op. Apparently, when a board member tried the business numbers to dig further, they received an anonymous text to the gist of "when I find you - I will hurt you". Like I said, shady hacks out there, and no one comes close to CGC.

Give that feminine hygiene product my name and address. I hate guys like that. Anyone wanna give me that number, I'll have a talk with Mr Amato......what a tool

I second this. Although I do not condone violence, I do believe there are certain circumstances that nullify any moral implications regarding my causing harm to another. Some of those being, if you've hurt someone intentionally and without cause, if you attempt to hurt or threaten my family, and if you mishandle or attempt to abscond with any of my comic books.

So, in the spirit of standing up for others.....

Gunnz gonna have ta choke a b!+ch!?!?

So today is the day!!!

My invoice was marked shipped and I can see the grades!

Again here's what I got:

#141 PGX 8.0 and #142 PGX 9.0

So I asked what you think they will come out as. Here's the responses:

Timmay: 8.0 and 9.0

gyro-1: 8.0 and 9.0

toro: 8.5 and 9.4

bighairjer: 8.5 and 9.2

Very good guesses all around. Unfortunately no one was correct about #141 but one was correct about #142.

And the results!

9.0 :banana:

9.2 :banana::banana:

This is one of my first times posting, and having bought some CGC and PGX books in the past I have found that PGX grades way more leniently. I great example is the 3-D DC covers that came out not that long ago. PGX had a bunch of 10.0 and CGC mostly 9.8

My BIGGEST complaint when it comes to CGC and PGX are the plastic holders. CGC holders are flimsy and are a lot weaker than PGX holders. I wish CGC would go to a thicker, better more sturdy holder instead of charging $ to re case books. But that would be a loss for the company so it makes sense. Just pisses me off as a collector. I still like the CGC better.

This is one of my first times posting, and having bought some CGC and PGX books in the past I have found that PGX grades way more leniently. I great example is the 3-D DC covers that came out not that long ago. PGX had a bunch of 10.0 and CGC mostly 9.8

My BIGGEST complaint when it comes to CGC and PGX are the plastic holders. CGC holders are flimsy and are a lot weaker than PGX holders. I wish CGC would go to a thicker, better more sturdy holder instead of charging $ to re case books. But that would be a loss for the company so it makes sense. Just pisses me off as a collector. I still like the CGC better.

Welcome to the Boards.

This is an excellent example to post. The books were sent in the PGX cases without any extra manipulation and both came back higher from CGC. Does not surprise me. I wish CGC would tighten up.

This is an excellent example to post. The books were sent in the PGX cases without any extra manipulation and both came back higher from CGC. Does not surprise me. I wish CGC would tighten up.

Bob - have you sent anything to CGC recently? On the higher grades, CGC is currently as tight as they were back in 2007/2008 - tweener books are coming back the lower grade across the board and I'm seeing SS resubs dropping a grade at a pretty disappointing rate. If CGC were any tighter, I'd probably stop submitting books all together.

That these books came back higher from CGC than PGX don't mean anything other than the fact that PGX is as inconsistent as they've always been.

S

Bob - have you sent anything to CGC recently? On the higher grades, CGC is currently as tight as they were back in 2007/2008 - tweener books are coming back the lower grade across the board and I'm seeing SS resubs dropping a grade at a pretty disappointing rate. If CGC were any tighter, I'd probably stop submitting books all together.

That these books came back higher from CGC than PGX don't mean anything other than the fact that PGX is as inconsistent as they've always been.

I agree. CGC does not need to "tighten up". I and others have posted up the generalities. PGX is, in general, looser in lower grades. And often times stricter in higher grades. It just is what it is. And my observation is the market is becoming aware of this. It's no longer universally true that PGX books sell for less. Their lower grade books often times sell for less, but look around at the results on Comic Link, Comic Connect and eBay. It's a mistake to put a 2K book in a PGX slab, but below $500, PGX books in VF or better usually bring very comparable prices to CGC, at least in the venues mentioned.

Glad it worked out well for the OP. Sometimes cross grading does - sometimes it doesn't.

Michael, assuming your statement about the current state of grading at CGC is true then I have one thing to say, 'Keep up the good work CGC'.

Tight grading is beneficial for the hobby in the long term. Yes 2007/2008 was a very tight period = the good old days !