• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC v. PGX?

243 posts in this topic

The graders wont see the book in any type of slab. The receiving dept. will get the book ready for the rest of the grading process. Check the paper work, put the book{s} in a mylar etc. Then it will be on it's way down the line.

Grades/restoration will be done by the restoration then grading dept.

Thanks for the info....So ultimately does the receiving dept. care if they come in still slabbed? If so, I can take them out, otherwise I'd keep them in there for safer shipping. Thanks again!

Put a signed note or write on your invoice that you give CGC permission to crack them out and you'll be good.

The graders wont see the book in any type of slab. The receiving dept. will get the book ready for the rest of the grading process. Check the paper work, put the book{s} in a mylar etc. Then it will be on it's way down the line.

Grades/restoration will be done by the restoration then grading dept.

Thanks for the info....So ultimately does the receiving dept. care if they come in still slabbed? If so, I can take them out, otherwise I'd keep them in there for safer shipping. Thanks again!

My understanding is that there is no need to take them out. In other words, they won't in any way hold it against your books that they were once in the other company's slabs.

Just wanted to say that when I buy graded it's mostly cgc. They do have greater value than pgx and are more trusted. I do, however, buy pgx graded books from time to time. Some are just great deals! I picked up a weird western tales 12 pgx graded 6.5 for about 20 bucks recently. Couldn't pass is up. People make mistakes and I think no one company should have a monopoly on any industry. If not pgx maybe there will be another grading company that will come around to give some healthy competition. It's good for the consumer!

So a month or so ago I purchased this off ebay…

UncannyX-Men141and142PGX_zps90596089.jpg

The day they came in, they were quickly put into a box and sent off to CGC. I have just seen that my submission has been graded so I believe I got about a week or so before I can see the grades. Just curious if anyone wants to potentially weigh in a guess what they will come back as. I know we all love to see PGX vs CGC grades so I thought this would be fun while I wait for them.

The day they came in, they were quickly put into a box and sent off to CGC. I have just seen that my submission has been graded so I believe I got about a week or so before I can see the grades. Just curious if anyone wants to potentially weigh in a guess what they will come back as. I know we all love to see PGX vs CGC grades so I thought this would be fun while I wait for them.

The were put into Quality Control yesterday...any guesses how they will turn out?

Were they pressed before resubbing?

No…they didn't look like they needed it.

I'm curious as to why you sent them in? Even if they come back the same grades from CGC, you will most likely have lost money on this transaction ???

One of my favorite threads here.

You don't get a second chance to make a first impression and Ryan's unethical practices have continued unabated for several years now. Since this is well known, most PGX books sell for only a fraction of the cost of a CGC book in similar grade. What you save in money and time in going with PGX, they lose 2 or 3-fold in value upon sale. Not to mention, they'll always be left wondering if the book in the case is really theirs or one of Ryan's replacement copies. The silver lining is this can present a good flipping opportunity for those collectors willing to take an occasional risk and sub bargain basement PGX books to CGC.

I agree monopolies are bad, but there is no company that has ever come close to CGC's (while not perfect) professionalism. Remember the "Vault" fiasco? As long as shady hacks like PGX and Vault are around, CGC's place in the market is secure, which bodes well for serious collectors.

I'm curious as to why you sent them in? Even if they come back the same grades from CGC, you will most likely have lost money on this transaction ???

Just to see what would happen :shrug:

We always joked that an 8 or 9 PGX would be a 6.5 CGC.......

Because I'm OCD about all my graded comics being in CGC slabs. Plus this allows them to be put into my registry collections with the rest of my graded comics.

And depending on the grade they get, I more than likely just broke even on cost anyways.

So if they were to stay the same grade…

141 in 8.0 is about $90

142 in 9.0 is about $55

I bought these both for $100.

Figure about $16.20 each for grading and another $17 for handling/shipping (I sent them off with 4 other books, so I'm splitting that between the six.)

This means I spent $149.40 on them total when their combined value is about $145. Not too bad seeing how the movie isn't even out and the price will go up even more. (Even though I'm not selling them, unless a good upgrade offer comes around.)

Hopefully they come back at least at 8.0 and 9.0…anything higher than that would be gravy...

What is the Vault fiasco? I only heard that we don't know who they are, something else happen?

String here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7342633&fpart=44

Short version, a guy started Vault grading, and ebay listings started popping up from a seller "comicart1" selling these Vault slabbed books and claiming that they were selling for a lot more than CGC, and that the cases were superior to CGC yada yada.... Of course the sales were way under what a CGC would fetch so comicart1 would refuse to honor the sale and then relist them. After sleuthing from board members it was determined that a guy by the name of Gianni Amato was the Vault owner and that he and comicart1 were the same person. So while the website gave the impression of this major professional service, it was just a hack slabbing and selling his own books. Not very different from the PGX op. Apparently, when a board member tried the business numbers to dig further, they received an anonymous text to the gist of "when I find you - I will hurt you". Like I said, shady hacks out there, and no one comes close to CGC.

What is the Vault fiasco? I only heard that we don't know who they are, something else happen?

String here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7342633&fpart=44

Short version, a guy started Vault grading, and ebay listings started popping up from a seller "comicart1" selling these Vault slabbed books and claiming that they were selling for a lot more than CGC, and that the cases were superior to CGC yada yada.... Of course the sales were way under what a CGC would fetch so comicart1 would refuse to honor the sale and then relist them. After sleuthing from board members it was determined that a guy by the name of Gianni Amato was the Vault owner and that he and comicart1 were the same person. So while the website gave the impression of this major professional service, it was just a hack slabbing and selling his own books. Not very different from the PGX op. Apparently, when a board member tried the business numbers to dig further, they received an anonymous text to the gist of "when I find you - I will hurt you". Like I said, shady hacks out there, and no one comes close to CGC.

Give that feminine hygiene product my name and address. I hate guys like that. Anyone wanna give me that number, I'll have a talk with Mr Amato......what a tool

The were put into Quality Control yesterday...any guesses how they will turn out?

Don't you have a bigger picture? :makepoint:

Anyways my guess is 8.5 and 9.4