• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC v. PGX?

243 posts in this topic

The only reason to send a book to any company to get slabbed is to establish an objective grade so we don't all argue over whether a spine stress is a more serious flaw than a blunt corner, etc.

It's actually not an "objective" grade. All grades are subjective. A CGC grade is a third party grade done by a theoretically disinterested party.

:preach:

True. I was intending to state that the slabbed grade itself eliminated ambiguity (how many times have you seen a comic on eBay described as "very nice" condition? I've seen it several times), but "disinterested third party" would have been a better choice of words. I will make the edit.

I had several books graded via PGX a few years ago that I then in turn gave to CGC to regrade because PGX dropped the ball in regards to setting themselves up to be a serious competitor to CGC. They were at Emerald City Comic Con a few years ago when I submitted them, and then I haven't seen them since. You never see any promotional materials for them such as you do CGC. I have seen examples on Ebay of CGC books with the same grade as a PGX book, and the CGC books inevitably get a higher price. Also, as has been noted, I had an X-Men #10 that came back from PGX (don't remember the grade now) that when I sent it in to CGC came back with the dreaded purple "Restored" label, whereas PGX made absolutely no mention of any work having been done. This was also done within, if I remember correctly, the last 5 years; Again during the period of time mentioned earlier when their grading was supposedly better.

It's likely a matter of personal choice, but if you're looking to grade with an eye towards reselling, I would stick to CGC. I will never buy nor submit to have graded a book from PGX again.

Here ... a book from the company you seem to enjoy supporting:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321275501859

Oh, wait - did I forgot to mention it's a fake with a forged certificate?

PGX is a scam, plain & simple.

Hi,

I need to ask... How do you know it's fake?

I have a few valuable PGX slabs and now I'm freaking out...

I don't think anyone answered this question, at least not in the open forum. Basically some one else had one with the same cert number, so a bunch were gathered and compared and the cert with the PGX did not quite match the rest.

What in gods name is "RC soda"?

Quick. What's a Moon Pie?

30 seconds

Uhhh, uhhhhhhhhhh, I don't remember. I keep having flashbacks of Chunky's.

It's the nickname Sheldon's Me-Ma gave him as a kid :acclaim:

30 seconds

30 seconds

lol

Even with CGC's issues, I trust that if I send my books to them it won't get swapped out, or who knows what.

Coming to the party late, but yeah - I agree with this right here. PGX just has too much questionable and ethical problems for me to ever trust a PGX book. I don't even bid on them on the 'Bay. I just distance myself from the whole product.

I'm not a CGC cheerleader by any means, but at least they take measures to ensure they are perceived as legitimate.

After Tallahassee's rant in Zombieland on how gross Snowball's were, Mrs. Hado's sister sent some here (we don't have them)

I didn't even finish biting into the nasty thing, it pushed back!

It's not taste, it's texture.

30 seconds

Now this may sound weird but several times a year Arnold Stang saying "Chunky. What a chunk ah chocolate." randomly pops into my head. One of my favorite commercials of the day and, along with Snickers, my favorite candy bar as a kid.

Now this may sound weird but several times a year Arnold Stang saying "Chunky. What a chunk ah chocolate." randomly pops into my head. One of my favorite commercials of the day and, along with Snickers, my favorite candy bar as a kid.

I sent away for a mind reading book out of an old comic book add. Well, it seems to have some merit. How else would I have picked out that commercial. hm

"RC soda" = Royal Crown soda. They make a cola. Now you're just being petty. Typical.

-J.

Never heard of it.

Interesting. You must be very young as well as not getting around to the States much. It sells particularly well in the region Americans call the Midwest even though geographically the area is the Mideast. I haven't had any Royal Crown Cola for decades myself so I can't pronounce on its taste.

(shrug)

I'm 35, my girlfriend is from the states and I've traveled across the northern US, From Washington to Michigan.

I've had TAB, does that count?

Try Moxie. It's a Maine drink. Really bitter.