• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC v. PGX?

243 posts in this topic

Another one of my favorites from ages ago.

I hated this candy but growing up in the 50s this ad was most exciting! I actually remembered all of the lyrics.

They had T.V. in the 1650's when you were growing up Pov? :o:o

:foryou:

Why yea! DaVinci invented the Macchina Movimento Trasmissione delle Immagini in 1518. It caused so much stress he passed less than a year later. I weep for Leo, my old friend. :cry:

I hated this candy but growing up in the 50s this ad was most exciting! I actually remembered all of the lyrics.

Why yea! DaVinci invented the Macchina Movimento Trasmissione delle Immagini in 1518. It caused so much stress he passed less than a year later. I weep for Leo, my old friend. :cry:

(worship)

Have a great holiday season Pov! :D

(worship)

Have a great holiday season Pov! :D

And you as well, Joe! :hi:

How are they not similar? They both subjectively grade comic books and put them into a slab and then sell themselves as being objective arbiters of said comic book's grade on the open marketplace.

I have already agreed that CGC offers a superior overall product and as such is the market leader. But just because I prefer Coca Cola doesn't mean I don't at least want the option of being able to buy an RC cola every once in awhile, or want to deny others from being able to buy an RC if they want. So sue me. Geesh. doh!

-J.

The difference is that PGX has been shown, time and time again, to not care about anything but cash. CGC would not (KNOWINGLY, as a big company can't keep track of everyone) allow their employees to grade their own comics and re-sell them. If you had proof of CGC employees being involved in shady practices like this, they wouldn't be employees for long. PGX would simply take your money and run. And not care. At all.

As for the cola analogy, well, it'd be more like Coca-Cola having RC in the bottles and not telling you. And when you found out, they say "yeah we're doing something about it. It won't happen again" and then you find Mr Pib in the bottles next time. And you find that when you complain again, it's the owners brother who's in charge of complaints.

Everyone should be able to spend their money any way they want. If you want to grade through PGX, that's ok. If others do as well, that's cool too. Personally, from everything I've read and seen about PGX, I'd be happier to have most any of the boardies here grade and slab my books than PGX. At least I would have the peace of mind of knowing that individuals who care about more than my cash are handling my books. I honestly believe they care more about their reputations than anyone at PGX does.

James

read this to discover and formulate your own answer:

http://www.justafanboy.com/PGX/

This article seems more of an indictment of Terrance Leder, whoever that is, than PGX. Plus the info in it is nearly ten years old. Yes PGX had some bumps early on but then again so did CGC. The only other "scandal" I can think of regarding PGX is that obviously fake video on YouTube from a while back where some tool box pretended to get back a third printing TMNT 1 from PGX, after he supposedly sent in a first print to get graded, That guy posted on these boards for a hot minute and there was extreme skepticism from many long time posters on here as to his claims.

Disclosure: I have exactly one book graded by PGX, I am by no means a collector of their books, but I do believe they have gotten their act together significantly from their early days, and I think a little competition in comic book grading is good for the industry. Monopolies never seem to work out too well after all.

-J.

Complete & utter nonsense.

Ryan Elliott, supposedly the PGX "head grader", sells books he himself has graded, slabbed & witnessed on eBay under the DJBrady4U account. There have been numerous recent cases where he's been seen to have bought both lower grade and/or restored CGC books, cracked them out, and then slabbed them in a PGX holder with no mention of the resto & with a higher grade to boot.

Can you post the proof to back this up, please? (thumbs u

This article seems more of an indictment of Terrance Leder, whoever that is, than PGX. Plus the info in it is nearly ten years old. Yes PGX had some bumps early on but then again so did CGC. The only other "scandal" I can think of regarding PGX is that obviously fake video on YouTube from a while back where some tool box pretended to get back a third printing TMNT 1 from PGX, after he supposedly sent in a first print to get graded, That guy posted on these boards for a hot minute and there was extreme skepticism from many long time posters on here as to his claims.

Disclosure: I have exactly one book graded by PGX, I am by no means a collector of their books, but I do believe they have gotten their act together significantly from their early days, and I think a little competition in comic book grading is good for the industry. Monopolies never seem to work out too well after all.

-J.

Ryan Elliott, supposedly the PGX "head grader", sells books he himself has graded, slabbed & witnessed on eBay under the DJBrady4U account. There have been numerous recent cases where he's been seen to have bought both lower grade and/or restored CGC books, cracked them out, and then slabbed them in a PGX holder with no mention of the resto & with a higher grade to boot.

Nevermind, I followed the rabbit hole. :grin:

-J.

Nevermind, I followed the rabbit hole. :grin:

:thumbsup:

The Fiero looked pretty cool, too, but what a piece of mess car that was...

-slym

PGX Graded this as slightly restored

12960803543_df519725c2_z.jpg

fiero by w16227, on Flickr

Edit - the car is actually a Fiero for those who have not see the kitted versions.......

I think this question is best suited in this thread, and it may be a stupid question, but here we go.....

So I have 8 books that are PGX graded. I want to send them to CGC to have them re-graded for 2 main reasons: First, after becoming more educated I trust CGC's grading accuracy more than PGX. Second, part of me is hoping for some better grades on a couple of those books. Should I take the books out of the PGX case, or let them do it at CGC? I would think the case is as secure a way to ship the books as any, but I don't want to make any extra work or tick off the graders that need to break them out of the old case. I also don't want them knowing the old grade to influence the new grade. does anyone have experience with this? I cant imagine I am the first one to submit PGX books to CGC for new grading. Thanks

The graders wont see the book in any type of slab. The receiving dept. will get the book ready for the rest of the grading process. Check the paper work, put the book{s} in a mylar etc. Then it will be on it's way down the line.

Grades/restoration will be done by the restoration then grading dept.

The graders wont see the book in any type of slab. The receiving dept. will get the book ready for the rest of the grading process. Check the paper work, put the book{s} in a mylar etc. Then it will be on it's way down the line.

Grades/restoration will be done by the restoration then grading dept.

Thanks for the info....So ultimately does the receiving dept. care if they come in still slabbed? If so, I can take them out, otherwise I'd keep them in there for safer shipping. Thanks again!